Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Emperor Was Done In By His Own Plan

I was watching ROTJ today and at the end when Luke is getting shocked he is pleading with his father to save him much like the Emperor pleads with Anakin in ROTS. After Vader chucks the Emperor down the shaft Luke pops up like nothing ever happened. Did he play Vader much like the Emperor played Vader in ROTS? The scenes go almost exactly the same. In ROTS the Emperor is the one that's getting "beaten" and he pleads with Anakin to save him and in doing so Anakin goes to the dark side. Fast forward 30ish years and we have the same scenario played out. This time Luke is getting "beaten" and he pleads with Anakin to same him and in doing so Anakin goes back to the light side. It was one of those things that just popped into my head while watching it and was another string that tied the PT with the OT.
    Last edited by Slicker; 08-17-2005 at 04:09 PM.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Re: The Emperor Was Done In By His Own Plan

Never noticed that one.
    It's a possibilty, but I doubt Luke was faking. That seems to be an "evil" thing to do.

I do like the way the PT has mirrored the OT like this in many ways. The other one that springs to mind in "Sith" is the Anakin/Dooku fight. Besides the set looking like "Jedi's" Throne Room, there a few shots that look very similar to the Luke/Vader battle in "Jedi."
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I never really caught the connection there. I think Luke's "popping up" is similar to Padme's popping in AOTC after she falls off that gunship then gets up and runs after being asked "are you ok?" by a clone. Maybe they've taken some cues from one Hulk Hogan?

Jedi healing powers. They really work

I never noticed it. It is possible since Luke had already trekked into the dark side.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I've noticed the visual connection but I don't believe Luke was faking, the difference here is that Palps could have stopped shooting that lightning at Mace anytime to "save" himself but he kept it up as a ploy. In ROTJ Palps tells Luke he is going to die and I believe that was to be the eventual result had Vader not stepped in.

So really, I think the key parallel to be drawn here between the two scenes is not so much Luke and Palpatine's reaction to the lightning, but rather Vader's. In ROTS he makes the wrong choice and helps Palpatine as he pleads for help, but in ROTJ he makes the RIGHT choice and helps Junior as he pleads for help.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Padme's popping in AOTC
    You mean like when she's in that white jumpsuit?

I like Slicker's point most, but I think Caesar's explanation is the most plausable. Either way, it's a great scene!
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    You know it brother.

All joking aside I think Caesar hit it on the head. The main difference is the choice that was made... I guess all you really need to do to get Vader on your 'side' is just to plead for him to help.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/e...k20030722.html

God bless whomever took this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJam
    I guess all you really need to do to get Vader on your 'side' is just to plead for him to help.
    Tell that to the corpse of Nute Gunray.