AOL employee sells 92 million addresses to spammer

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/17/news...reut/index.htm

This guy worked at AOL and sold 30 million users' account names - accounts can have multiple names, hence the 92 million - to a spammer. I always suspected this happens, I had that happen with Yahoo once where I started a test account with an odd, unguessable name and it started getting spam, I told Yahoo I thought someone there or one of their marketing partners must have had an employee sell my account to a spammer, but they just shrugged me off. So nice to see A) how easy it is for someone in a trusted, major ISP to get away with private information, and B) how pitifully small the pay is for doing so.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: AOL employee sells 92 million addresses to spammer

I heard this on the radio today, this is really really really bad for my 2 cents. And to think he only got 28 grand for it... granted I'd be happy if somebody gave me a check for 28 k I would have thought that much info would have been worth more. Perhaps he was hard up for money? Anyway I hope this person gets thrown into jail and spends a nice long time in there thinking about what he did.

Damn, grab the mustrad, here comes the spam.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

$28,000? Boy this guy must've been uber desperate. I got paid $75,000 just to give the email addresses of this forums 7,000+ members.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by complete moron
    In a letter to the judge, Smathers pleaded for leniency. He described himself as "an outlaw" in the "new frontier" of cyberspace.
    he's also decided that the first letter of his first name is getting between he and his fans, so he's going by ason smathers.

smathers, you're not an outlaw on the new frontier of cyberspace. you're just a punk kid who's trying to turn a quick buck (i'm sorry, a quick penny... how much did you get paid per address? schmuck...) and it's the oldest story in the book.

leniency. you don't deserve it.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Damn, grab the mustrad, here comes the spam.
    Mustard?!?!? Dude, ketchup and cheese is the only way to eat a Spam sammich.

I recently registered on some website and now I get junk mail up the pooper. I have the option to unsubscribe on 95% of them, but there a couple that don't give me a chance. This is the first spam I've gotten since I got rid of AOL almost a year ago, so I know it's a direct effect.

I don't feel bad for spammers at all. Leniency my a**.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Most of the time when you "unsubscribe," you're actually confirming that you have a working e-mail address. I just delete the crap.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn

(i'm sorry, a quick penny... how much did you get paid per address? schmuck...)
    That's a good question Vyn. I did a little math and came up with him getting paid 3/100's of a penny per address. Not too bad.
    Last edited by Slicker; 08-18-2005 at 03:12 PM.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!