Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The most burning questions of the EU?

Now that we have the official backstory of Anakin Skywalker's rise and fall, what are the questions that you most want to see answered in the Expanded Universe (books, comics, television, videogames, etc)?

1) When will Luke and Leia learn about their mother?

There are enough survivors of Padme's inner circle that it seems pretty ridiculous that thirty years have been covered in the EU since the Battle of Endor, but no one seems to have told the Skywalker twins who she was.

Three years after ROTJ, Luke has learned quite a bit about his father. He knows he was raised as a slave on Tatooine, freed by Jedi during a podrace, and became a hero of the Clone Wars. And Leia learns quite a bit about Shmi during a mission to Tatooine. But five (?) years later, Luke is still grasping at straws when it comes to the other half of his parentage, and that's the last time it's brought up.

While it's true that only Bail, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and the Polis Massans knew that she'd given birth prior to her death, the commonplace knowledge that Luke and Leia were the children of Anakin Skywalker, AKA Darth Vader, should've rang quite a few bells with folks. Padme had quite a few handmaidens who should still be alive, not to mention her family. Mon Mothma is hinted to be aware of Padme's condition in Labyrinth of Evil, and even if she didn't know the two were married, she would've been able to hazard an educated guess. Heck, even Jar Jar Binks should be smart enough to put two and two together here.

Speaking of whom. . . .

2) Whatever happened to Jar Jar Binks?

No matter how the guy vanished in subsequent prequels, Jar Jar was being set up in 1999 for something big. And people didn't like him very much, so it didn't happen the way Lucas planned (and would never admit to now). So where is the doofus now? Palpatine didn't like aliens, but we see in ROTJ: DVDE that the Gungans are still alive and well as a race. Was Jar Jar executed as a loyalist sometime after Padme's funeral? Did he survive and serve on the Imperial Senate? Did he go into seclusion or start a failed career as a stand-up?

Seriously. Wherever he is, whatever happened to him, I want to know.

3) Whatever happened to Asajj Ventress and Aurra Sing?

I only lump them together because they're bad-arse Force-wielding bald alien babes, and everyone seems to either love 'em or hate 'em. And they both drop off the radar, for the most part, after the Clone Wars.

Asajj is last seen escaping into space following the Battle of Boz Pity (shortly prior to ROTS). She is uncertain of her alliances, uncertain of her future. Something tells me we're going to see a lot more of her shortly. A lot more.

I'm not so sure about Aurra Sing popping up again, though. She has a few run-ins with a young Boba Fett, then (as far as we know) drops completely off the map. We see her once again, shortly before the events of ROTJ, in Demolition, where she is supposedly a washed-up bounty hunter trying to make a comeback.

4) Who and where are the other Skywalkers?

We know that Shmi gave birth to Anakin, and that Anakin married Padme and begat Luke and Leia. Leia married Han Solo and had three kids (Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo); Luke married Mara Jade and had a son named Ben.

But that's all we know.

We're unlikely to get a completely straightforward answer regarding Anakin's father. Lucas left this slightly ambiguous, and I doubt he'll approve anything that gives a definitive answer. But that only closes the door halfway. All we've ever learned about Shmi's past is that she was kidnapped from a starship by pirates, as a child or young woman, and sold into slavery. So it's possible that she still has family somewhere. Even if they're all dead, well, she still came from somewhere.

5) Where did the prophecy of the one who would bring balance to the Force originate? And is this the same as the "Son of the Suns"?

The prophecy is pretty confusing, and knowing exactly where it came from might help. Was it a renowned Jedi prophet? A Shaman of the Whills?

Which brings us to. . . .

6) What the hell is Yoda anyway?

I can't really elaborate on that. He and Yaddle seem to be the only members of. . . whatever species they are.
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 08-24-2005 at 06:56 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: The most burning questions of the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by chux
    1) When will Luke and Leia learn about their mother?
    2) Whatever happened to Jar Jar Binks?
    4) Who and where are the other Skywalkers?
    These are all reasons I think they jumped too far and too fast into post-OT EU.
    They knew a prequel trilogy was coming (eventually) and dropped the ball by propelling the characters so far into their futures. Where are they now, like 30 years after Jedi? If they just had some patience the stories could have been so much better and cohesive to the entire saga.

Quote Originally Posted by chux
    3) Whatever happened to Asajj Ventress and Aurra Sing?
    No doubt they'll both turn up over and over and over in the 20 year gap between trilogies.

I have a question:
    Why does the Post-Jedi EU continue?
    They dropped a flippin' moon on Chewie's head for Pete's sake!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    6) What the hell is Yoda anyway?

I can't really elaborate on that. He and Yaddle seem to be the only members of. . . whatever species they are.
    This one I'm sure will eventually come out but from everything that I've read Lucas wants to keep it a mystery. We'll see 10 years down the road when Star Wars is struggling to find a fan base.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

1) the dark nest trilogy:

Spoilers:

It appears R2-D2 has been hiding some things. And even when a few clips of padme are finally pried out of him. R2 still seems to think he's protecting Luke by not telling, but the twins have learned their mothers name at least.
    ~Umbra: Light is only a shadow cast by the darkness of the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    This one I'm sure will eventually come out but from everything that I've read Lucas wants to keep it a mystery. We'll see 10 years down the road when Star Wars is struggling to find a fan base.
    The Yoda mystery is one thing I hope we never get an answer to. I like the mystery of him.

I think the introduction of Yaddle was a mistake, no matter how hot she was...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I wanna know more about pre-invasion Vong.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

Chux, that's a good question about the Son of Suns thing from ROTJ, I'd like to know if there is some substance there that they plan to work with or if it was just a "throwaway" background sound effect that we made too much of ?

Not exactly related to your thread Chux but I'll ask it anyway because I'm curious . . . in one of the Zahn books, I remember Obi-Wan couldn't appear to Luke after 5 years or whatever. Did they ever explain WHY he couldn't ?

Not exactly related to your thread Chux but I'll ask it anyway because I'm curious . . . in one of the Zahn books, I remember Obi-Wan couldn't appear to Luke after 5 years or whatever. Did they ever explain WHY he couldn't ?

If I'm not mistaken I think that obi-wan explains to luke that the distance between them has become to far for him to be able to 'travel' to luke and give him advice whenever he needs it...even though the ability to come back after death is shown in the movies, it doesn't really tell how that happens or whether or not it's easy to do...I guess it would be kinda difficult and only need to happen when something important needs to be said...otherwise you'd have jedi ghosts hanging out all the time with people.

Umbra, I got a bit farther in The Joiner King last night and saw what you were referring to. IMHO, this is the most important moment in Star Wars since Vader tossing Palpatine down the reactor shaft.

As far as I'm concerned, 99.9% of The Joiner King is a well-written but minor subplot, something about killer bugs or something. Those couple of pages of Luke and Leia watching the holos are far more critical than anything else that could happen in the story. I don't care if Han gets crushed by a moon on the next page; that won't be the reason I'll remember this book.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Perhaps more info will be displayed about Jar Jar and other charachters in the TV shows coming up.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!