Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

TIE Fighter: Target Exclusive version

Forgive me if I skip the cockpit and go straight to the new and improved (somewhat) solar panels. The cockpit's the same one that came out with the K*B Toys exclusive and the OTC.

Yep... this sucker is huge. SO huge that the new one could eat a whole fleet of the previous versions, dating back to 1978, for a breakfast appetizer! Seriously.

Hasblah rejiggered the connection struts a little but not enough for one to really notice. The panels are nicely detailed and you really couldn't ask for more as far as that goes. Hasbro did their homework and managed to tool them with an unbelievable amount of detail and care.

Sadly, the new struts aren't strong enough to really carry the weight of the panels. You know how the old TIE Fighter had a little side to side give due to the design? Well-- multiply that by the size the panels increase over the old ones and you've got yourself a little bit of a problem.

Fortunately, I don't see this causing a problem in the long run but you'd best be sure that wherever you are displaying this, the surface is level.

The panels themselves seem to be made of a pretty high-impact plastic so I don't believe these will be as susceptible to the bending seen on the Darth Vader TIE or the TIE Bomber of recent years.

Overall, it's a very handsome piece. I'm glad I had some gift cards from my birthday to pay for this otherwise I'd be screaming "rape". After all, I DID buy that K*B Toys exclusive for $29.99 a couple years ago. Grrrr... If only I knew then what I know now!

The packaging is very nice. For those of you who wanted some nicely printed Imperial Navy insignias, they are all over this box. There's a pretty huge one on the inside bottom panel. There are no flames or lava but it closley resembles the ROTS colour scheme that we've grown accustomed to over the last couple months. Due to the extensive window design, the cardboard has a tendancy to rip. The one I took had a rip in the box that Hasbro kindly taped up before packing. So, I don't know how yours will ship if you are a boxed collector.

The other "issue" with the packaging one might has is that the centre hexagon of each panel is pushed through a hole in the side windows. This leaves the part exposed to Lord knows what sort of abuse it may experience while on the shelf. The part is so inricately detailed that I'm afraid some damage may occur if it is bumped against another unit or dragged along a vented shelf.

Overall... I'd give this an "A". I'd have given it an "A+" if Hasbro had done a little more work to this to ensure a little more stability between the panels and the cockpit.

These puppies come packed two to a case. The nice lady at Target brought me the case and Jedi Drew is the recipient of the second unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TIEheadon.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	12116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TIEthreequarter.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	12117  
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: TIE Fighter: Target Exclusive version

Nice comparison pics JP. I can't wait to get this puppy in my hands.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Man what a difference. I have always hated the hasbro TIE fighters because of the stubby wings, this is a 100% better version of this toy, ands I may actually buy one seeing as I have no TIE fighters for the above mentioned reason.

Funny thing is, if you look at the cockpits, the one with the larger wings looks slightly smaller, but it's probably an optical illusion.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I actually ended up swapping cockpits because the K*B one looked like it was in a little nicer condition.

I have a question about the pack-in pilot...

Which one is he...the POTF "Beefcake" or the OTC super sculpted awesome figure?
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!

Standard pack-in fare, of course... go with the oldest. It's the beefy POTF2 one.

Damn its huge. I am gonna get one. I am glad the only other TIE I have is the OTC one and I paid 3 bucks for it.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Bought One Last Week Looks Great! Just Bummed It Makes All My Other Ones Look Stupid.
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORMTROOPERS

I've decided my K*B Exclusive version is now an EU TIE Scout ship.

Quote Originally Posted by X13VADER
    Bought One Last Week Looks Great! Just Bummed It Makes All My Other Ones Look Stupid.
    Agreed. I really didn't realise how crap and inaccurate the old one was till I saw the comparison shots.