Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

How did the PT-era of the SW timeline play out in YOUR imagination?

I'm putting this in the ROTS forum, since I'm of the opinion that it's the episode which has the most "stuff" we expected to see happen in the overall prequel arc...

Think 'a ways back with me, to a time when the OT was still relatively knew, and so was the notion of a trilogy of films that would take place before ANH. How did you imagine Anakin Skywalker's and Obi-wan Kenobi's story would be? We knew about most of the stuff that took place in ROTS: Obi-wan and Anakin have a sword fight, in which Anakin is gravely injured...the Clone Wars occur...the Emporer rises to power. Being a kid in the early and mid-eighties, those concepts were enough to blow my mind. I mean, how cool would it be to see Obi-wan as a younger man, a Jedi knight and general in the Clone Wars. How awesome would it be to see Anakin Skywalker as a jedi knight and be the greatest starfighter pilot in the galaxy? How intersting it would be to see the Republic before "the dark times"? And most of all, how darned cool would it be to see those Clone Wars?! I'm not a huge fan of war, but something with a cool name like "Clone Wars" in a science fiction movie sounds like my cup of tea.

Understand what I'm asking? I had years and years to imagine my own Anakin and Obi-wan and what they would do in these movies. I could probably write pages and pages of how I thought it would play out, which I'll probably end up doing later in this thread of course , but I want to hear some others describe their own PT universe. It's easy, just pretend you never saw the PT we all know and love/hate today, and describe your own PT, as if you know none of what you know now about how it actually happened.

Re: How did the PT-era of the SW timeline play out in YOUR imagination?

I've posted this before, but:

Anakin Skywalker and Owen SKYWALKER were brothers, with their wives, are farming on Tattooine (at a different farm for Pete's sake so the hiding place is better). Anakin is tired of the family life and the farm. He has wanderlust. Young Jedi Obi-wan Kenobi comes to Tatooine recruiting for people to fight in the Clone Wars, which are tearing the galaxy apart, because the Republic, which doesn't use Clones, is overwhelmed by the forces of the Mandalorians, who do. Anakin agrees to go because the Republic has more cash than soldiers and he wants the money, but also thinks the galaxy is worth fighting for. He leaves with Obi-wan. Owen is very bitter that Anakin is leaving and tells him not to go. The wife and Owen are pretty much out of the picture.

Obi-wan and Anakin become close fighting in the Clone Wars under Bail Organa, who owns R2-D2 and C-3P0, who would have virtually no contact with Obi-wan, Anakin, or any other character from the original trilogy. Anakin also works alongside, and perhaps under, a non-Jedi general named Tarkin.

Obi-wan and Anakin make a good team. They have Butch Cassidy and Sundance type adventures and they are both kind of like Han. Obi-wan is known as a bit of a rogue, impatient, reckless, sometimes angry. He and Anakin are a great fit. Obi-wan is promoted to General and people start to know the team as talented. Obi-wan senses how strong the force is in Anakin. He wants to train him, but isn't allowed to because Anakin is too old to be trained in the traditional sense, and he has a wife. So, Obi-wan trains him in secret, convinced he can do a good job.

But Anakin is greedier than Obi-wan. Obi-wan sees him use the Dark Side where necessary and is alarmed. Anakin goes for money and power. Obi-wan goes to his master, Yoda, and confesses what he has done. However, he is impudent with Yoda, showing his own flashes of anger. Yoda agrees that Anakin needs to be kept an eye so is made a Jedi Knight, so he can be watched.

Anakin is interested in status and in gaining more and more power. Though happy to be a Jedi, he rebukes the control the Jedi try to place on him. A politician named Palpatine, who was elected promising to end the Clone Wars, takes an interest in Anakin and offers him the universe.

At some point, Anakin goes home on leave and impregnates his wife. He insists that she remain on Tatooine because it is safer there.

Of course, you need lightsaber duels, so you would have some Sith Lords, who are working with the Mandalorians to take control of the galaxy. You could have had a bunch of Jedi fight Sith Lords, as there was no reason to limit them to two.

The Jedi work hard to destroy the cloning centers, the true reason the Mandalorians have success in the war, their sheer numbers.

During the Wars, the Republic is having a tough time so Palpatine declares himself the Emperor and the Republic the Empire, for security. He secretly offers Anakin the number two spot and Anakin agrees. Palpatine is a Sith who left the fold, because he wanted to rule alone, not be a part of the larger Sith, but perhaps Anakin never knows Palpatine is a Sith. Given that Anakin has always used the dark side when it suited him, it wouldnít be such a drastic shift for Anakin to become evil. Anakin's turn would be more gradual and subtle.

The Wars are coming to a close and Palpatine orchestrates an event that leads the populace to believe the Jedi are a threat to the Republic. He announces they must be destroyed and puts Anakin in charge of it.

Yoda says that the Jedi must stop the Emperor and kill Anakin. Obi-wan goes to try to turn Anakin back to good, but is unable. They fight. Anakin is horribly injured. Obi-wan believes he is dead and takes his lightsaber.

He soon discovers Anakin lived and reemerges as Darth Vader, who is hunting down the remaining Jedi. With the populace against them, the Jedi are overwhelmed. The Empire could only have fallen with the Rebellion to support it.

Obi-wan goes to tell Anakinís wife what has transpired and discovers she is pregnant. He says she must leave Tattooine. Owen is unwilling to leave Tatooine, but understands the threat. He sells the family farm and Owen and Beru go into hiding on the other side of the planet and assume the name Lars. Given that the wife lives on Tattooine and prenatal care isnít what it could be, no one knows she is carrying twins.

The wife goes to Dagobah with Yoda. Yoda instructs Obi-wan to go watch after the Larsí from a distance, since they are in danger and it is kind of Obi-wanís fault. The twins are born. Yoda gives Leia to Organa to live with the royal family on Alderaan. The mother goes with Leia to Alderaan, to watch over her from a distance the way that Obi-wan was with Luke, only visiting Leia occasionally because she does not want to run the risk that Vader will find her and figure out they had a child.

The Emperor wants any children Anakin may have had before the accident. Anakin said he never had any, but does want to track down his wife. Vader canít find anyone on Tattooine, but does track his wife to Alderaan. He talks with her and doesnít think that she had children. He offers for her to come rule the galaxy as his queen. She rebukes him and he kills her.

Yoda gives Luke to Obi-wan. Yoda does not tell Organa or Obi-wan that there are two babies to keep the twins safe. Obi-wan gives Luke to Owen and agrees to watch over Luke, in exile, devastated at what he has done to the galaxy. Owen is happy to have the farm hand but tells Obi-wan to keep away. R2-D2 and C-3P0 end up with Antilles by the end. Obi-wan assumes the not so clever secret name Ben Kenobi. Owen, Beru, and Luke assume the name Lars. Luke does not know his last name is Skywalker until Obi-wan tells him years later. Yoda sits on Dagobah.

In addition to what I said, it could have been fleshed out with all sorts of interesting creatures, characters, and planets we are accustomed to (and got in the prequels).

I never really put together a cohesive scenario for any of the prequel-themed stuff we heard about, at least I don't remember doing so. I mainly accepted the "feelings" we were given on those elements and that let my imagination drift lazily through lots of vague scenarios -- that's why I'm always bothered by people claiming I don't like the prequels simply because they don't live up to what I expected them to be, as I never had any beyond what the OT directly gave us in terms of story and quality.

As I said in my thread about how the prequels being in direct contrast to what Star Wars was about, Lucas originally made Star Wars specifically so that the audience would have to fill in the prequel blanks, the events of Eps 1 through 3, themselves with very little information while simultaneously trying to incorporate that into the unfolding story. He created a very spartan outline of past events to help write the OT story and give it weight without spelling everything out on screen (spelling out the prequel events was absolutely the opposite of the point of Star Wars), so as long as you used the sparse information given to you onscreen from the Episode 4-6 story, you couldn't be "wrong" about what happened because at the same time you also weren't totally "right", it was all in the ether.

When TPM came out, someone asked how we'd change it if we could, not just little heres and theres but everything. I came up with some fanciful tale that was a large paragraph, concentrating on building the pace and revealing the characters, and I thought it was good, but in hindsight it also was a bit limited by what we had in TPM itself. I think instead of reposting that, I will track it down and pull out the bare bones stuff and put together a very general outline here... now I just gotta find it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ditto kind of what JT said. I certainly believe that the PT should have gone down in a significantly different way, but it has nothing to do with what I wanted and everything to do with what had already been established. Some very basic continuity issues were laid down as a foundation by the OT and summarily ignored, stomped on, trampled on, and outright shredded by the PT. The PT has virtually nothing to do with what Star Wars is supposed to be or be about.

That said, I don't want to spend a lot of time doing this (other things to worry about right now), but we should have joined a twenty-something Obers in progress. He's a relatively new Jedi himself, perhaps just having "graduated." Now he's on some kind of "patrol" where he runs into some guy named Anakin Skywalker, who is a pilot on a space freighter. Their ship runs into trouble, Anakin shows off his prowess and Obers recognizes the potential Force ability in the guy. At some point in the storyline they both wind up at Obi Wan's brother's house on Tatooine.

Obi, being the young brash and not yet humbled Jedi that he is, decides that he should train this guy himself. While this is going on, an ambitious Senator (Palpatine) is making his play for political control. For some reason (this is where the specifics of writing would come in), Anakin starts listening to Palpatine's ideas, first on the "TV" and then somehow in person. Anakin isn't being manipulated or seduced at this point. He really believes in what Palps is saying. The only problem is that Palps is a lying SOB with different goals in mind. Anakin is just too young, naive, and ignorant to realize what's really going on (a lot like the neo-con Young Republican hicks of today).

At a point very similar to Luke's experience on Dagobah, Obi "loses" Anakin to this outside influence. Anakin's training isn't complete and he is most vulnerable to "seduction," which is exactly what happens. The rest is history.

I've mainly stuck to the Obi/Anakin storyline here, but a large if not larger part of the Prequels would have/should have been concentrating on the "Machevellian" political aspects of Palpatine's usurping of power from an apathetic population. It would have made for a very interesting parallel in our own current situation with this administration "stealing" one election and then managing to do it a second time. But instead, Lucas opted for mindless bubblegum antics and paperthin plots with even more poorly drawn characters. Gotta sell toys to the kiddies, ya know.

I saw the OT for the first time in 1997 so I didn't really have much time to come up with my own story before TPM came out.

I have no problem with the PT jiving with the OT. I can't think of anything that doesn't . . . I mean, sure there's Yoda as Obi-Wan's master, but he never said he was his ONLY master; and Padmé dying when Leia was young, but old enough to remember her, but Leia can sense more familial bonds anyway (she apparently always knew she was Luke's sister, and Luke had no idea; so it's entirely possible that Leia's Force abilities are more feeling-based anyway).

The only thing that caused people to think Obi-Wan and Owen were brothers was the novelization of ROTJ, am I right? That's not very much to base something on. There have always been extra details from the books that have no merit in the actual films.

I think the main problem that most people have with the PT is that it's not how they imagined it, and they need to get over that.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    I think the main problem that most people have with the PT is that it's not how they imagined it, and they need to get over that.

Yes, you "think," yet you do not really know. We've said again and again that our discontent stems from fundamental and "proveable" issues that exist between the OT and the PT yet PT Defenders feel the need to make excuses and psychoanalyze the rest of us who don't want to rationalize away every problem that exists just to preserve an artificial sense of "fandom." I think Defenders need to get over that and come to grips with reality.

I pretty much agree with JT and stillakid.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Yes, you "think," yet you do not really know. We've said again and again that our discontent stems from fundamental and "proveable" issues that exist between the OT and the PT yet PT Defenders feel the need to make excuses and psychoanalyze the rest of us who don't want to rationalize away every problem that exists just to preserve an artificial sense of "fandom." I think Defenders need to get over that and come to grips with reality.
    A bit harsh, but true. I won't bash people who like the PT, so don't tell me I have to like it in order to be a Star Wars fan. It's just a matter of opinion. There are parts of the PT films I like, but as a whole, I just can't appreciate them the way I do the OT.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Issues? What issues? The only ones I can think of are the ones I mentiones in my post above. If you'd like, please mention any ones you can think of.

I'm not saying anyone has to love anything, but there's really nothing anyone (except for George) can do to change the prequels. They're here, and they're not what everyone expected. But, it's what we got. So "come to grips with reality" and realize that this is all we're going to get as far as prequels go. No matter how much you hate them, no matter how much you'd like to change them, and no matter how much they don't fit in with the OT, they're here to stay.

I'm not bashing anyone who doesn't like the prequels, and I'd like the same treatment in return.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    I'm not bashing anyone who doesn't like the prequels, and I'd like the same treatment in return.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding but that's sure what it sounds like when someone ignores clear statements about why we say what we say in favor of coming up with an alternative reason why we say what we say. If I or anyone tells you that we believe the PT should have been like X because that's what the OT established, then that's the fact. Not your alternative that we are just bagging on it because we "imagined" something radically different than what we got. On the contrary, we expected something very different than we is there because that is what the OT established. Very very different scenario than what you suggested.

Hilarious.

JabbaJohn posts what he believes to be the reason for people (in general) to not like the prequels, stillakid takes issue with being ID'd that way (and I don't blame you stillakid, really I don't because as you said, you HAVE laid out the reasons you find fault ) BUT then stillakid goes and does the exact same thing he didn't want done to him . . . and say that Prequel Fans feel the need to rationalize away problems to meet a level of fandom. Now please tell me, stillakid, how THAT does not smack of the same psychoanalyzing you accused the other side of doing ?

Rogue 2, I respect and completely agree with your post that it's just a matter of opinion but I don't think that was the best quote to put it under.