Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

Harry Potter

I received the Fall Shop@Home catalog yesterday, which features new sets from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I haven't bought any HP sets before since I'm not interested in the medieval/castle themes, but there is one set I'm definitely gonna get:

4766_A

4766_B

Just in time for Halloween, it's 4766 Graveyard Duel ($30), a 548-piece set that features a showdown between Harry and Lord Voldemort in the middle of a cemetary. The set has plenty of cool tombstomes and graves, a burial cart, cemetary gate and fence, spooky tree, and a small mortuary. Also included are bats, owls, and both white and black skeletons, which I've never seen in that color.

Other sets in the HP line-up include a set with dragon, an undersea set with a mini-fig mermaid, and a ship with the hull parts from the preschool Pirate sets.

I think the Harry Potter Graveyard Duel will work well with my Studios "Monster" sets, which I'm going to display for Halloween this year:

1380 Werewolf Ambush

1381 Vampire Crypt

1382 Scary Laboratory

As part of the 50th Anniversary, LEGO S@H is also giving away a small bag of gold bricks (5 Duplo OR 5 System) with a $50 purchase through September 30.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Re: Harry Potter

Are those other minifigs supposed to be Lucius (with mask) and Wormtail (silver hand)? That looks absolutely nothing like Wormtail, and I don't know if the Death Eaters will have those masks like that. Hopefully, Voldemort will look similar to that in the film (I'm worried they'll just have Ralph Fienne's normal face).

Same thing with the undersea one, I hope they really do keep Krum's shark head in the film!

I don't really have the money or space to buy any Legos (which seem to be disproportionately expensive IMO), but these are pretty sweet.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    I don't really have the money or space to buy any Legos (which seem to be disproportionately expensive IMO), but these are pretty sweet.
    Your paying for the brand the everything that comes with it.

I'm not into the books or the movies or the whole Harry thing in any way. But like both Ji'dai and Mr. JabbaJohnL I think this set looks pretty cool. I might get this one because the grave yard just looks too cool. There's even a few pieces I'm psyched about. The Death Eater's (what ever that is) has long blond hair!

As far a the other sets go... The ship is interesting but I don't think I'll get it (I see another ship on the Lego horizon). The mermaid set has a few good looking elements, like the shark head and mermaid (Lego calls it a merman). I'll pass one the dragon set. Nothing there worth getting in my opinion (again I see another dragon on the Lego horizon).
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    Are those other minifigs supposed to be Lucius (with mask) and Wormtail (silver hand)? That looks absolutely nothing like Wormtail, and I don't know if the Death Eaters will have those masks like that. Hopefully, Voldemort will look similar to that in the film (I'm worried they'll just have Ralph Fienne's normal face).

Same thing with the undersea one, I hope they really do keep Krum's shark head in the film!
    Yep, the figures are Voldemort (with glow-in-the-dark-head), Wormtail, Harry, and the Death Eater, which I presume is Lucius Malfoy? (I haven't read the books). The cemetary has black owls, but no white ones - I'd have to find another set to get a Hedwig. Tom Riddle's grave has an Angel of Death on his tombstone. Man, a LEGO cemetary... I'm ordering it, 'nuff said.

The Rescue from the Merpeople set is neat for the mermaid tail and the Krum shark head, which I could use as sight gag on my Town beach, maybe a kid wearing it to scare bathers as seen in Jaws.

Doesn't look like we're getting a new Hogwarts this time around. Looks like the one from Prisoner of Azkaban with the Dementors.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferSam
    As far a the other sets go... The ship is interesting but I don't think I'll get it (I see another ship on the Lego horizon). The mermaid set has a few good looking elements, like the shark head and mermaid (Lego calls it a merman). I'll pass one the dragon set. Nothing there worth getting in my opinion (again I see another dragon on the Lego horizon).
    I was expecting to see the Vikings sets when I cracked open my catalog. Maybe they'll be offered in the Holiday catalog, closer to christmas. The ships and the fortress look pretty good.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

That Graveyard set looks pretty decent, waaaay more pieces than the Mos Eisley Cantina yet this is the same price as that set. Although I like the HP movies, I don't own any of the toys, even Hagrid's Hut (which I had fully intended to get at the time, then... didn't), but I probably will get this graveyard set.

Oh, I forgot, I own 1 toy, the Joke Wand from Mattel.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I intended to buy the first Hagrid's Hut (the one from the Sorcerer's Stone) but never got around to it either. I kept passing on it around clearance time, trying to get it for next to nothing.. and then it was gone.

I did buy Dumbledore's Office on clearance for $10, but ended up giving it to my cousin for christmas. Shoulda kept it and gave him ten bucks

The only other HP set I have is the Knight Bus, which I got for $5 on clearance earlier this year. Purple bricks!

"Yeah, take it away Ern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    I was expecting to see the Vikings sets when I cracked open my catalog. Maybe they'll be offered in the Holiday catalog, closer to christmas. The ships and the fortress look pretty good.
    I was hoping to see the Vikings sets too. I thought read somewhere that they wouldn't be available until the Holiday catalog. That means a few more months of drooling over the photos and envying those folks in the European market.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I have around 10 or so sets from the first two movies (combined), but as I said above, I don't really have any money for any more. All of it is being sucked out of my pockets by our good friends at Hasbro.

I also have several figures from the first two films, but then they changed the scale and now they just look stupid.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I received the 4766 Graveyard Duel last week and finally got around to assembling it Monday evening. The box art for the new Harry Potter line is striking with yellow-orange-red hues; I suppose it's appropriate since this installment is the Goblet of Fire.

The part bags are numbered with corresponding sections in the instructions so this 548-piece set will be easier to assemble for younger builders. I'll admit it was a chore for me, even when I was only opening one part bag and building one thing at a time. The confusing thing is the color selection - black, dark gray, light gray, white - which are sometimes hard to distinguish from each other in the instructions.

This is the first LEGO cemetary! The set builds four burial plots of various sizes, each with some type of action feature. The two smaller graves open to reveal a casket with pre-printed skeleton graphics. The mid-size grave has a mechanism to raise an actual skeleton to crash through the top of the plot. Tom Riddle's resting place is the largest and features a chain fence, large marker with Angel of Death figure, and opens to reveal several snakes.

There is also a cemetary fence with wrought-iron gate and a chain to keep nosey Hogwarts students out. The fence will swivel to enclose a grave or open and extend out to form one long barrier. The tree is constructed from brown slopes, bricks, and arches and looks pretty good. It's definitely better than the tree that came with the Werewolf set. The burial wagon is fairly basic with room for a driver and a coffin in the back. I'll have to figure out a way to connect it to a horse or two. The masoleum building is small but it's still a nice inclusion to the cemetary. It features a removable roof for interior access and a removable tile floor that opens to reveal skeletons. A small wall is connected to the masoleum that will swivel depending on how you want it situated. This wall stores all the undertaker's tools of the trade. You also get a small campfire with cauldron to cast spells and make potions.

Lots of critters in this one. The cemetary is practicially teeming with bats, owls, snakes, frogs, falcons, griffins, and spiders. There are enough parts to make four skeletons: two white, one black, and a green & black one. Fortunately there are only five decals, which decorate the graves or markers. Extra parts include 1x1 round plates (translucent and solid), plus a 1x1 tan tile, and a 1x1 tan tile with pre-printed "padlock" graphic (which is nice since kids might lose one).

The one mistake I found was the mini-fig head for this dude doesn't match the one on the box. In fact, the one I got looks like Peter Pettigrew (who morphs into Scabbers the Rat in Azkaban) with his buck teeth. (The pic of the figure in the instructions differs from the box cover version too). LEGO has been printing facial graphics on both sides of the head so they can be rotated, but only the "Death Eater" fig has printing on both sides in this set. All the figures are flesh-colored and Voldemort's head glows-in-the-dark. This set also comes with a long-blonde mini-fig hairpiece, which is cool since everyone knows male mini-figs love blondes. The ragged cloaks that the Death Eater and Voldemort wear are a heavier material than what I've seen used for cloaks before. These cloaks have a fuzzy-soft side to them.

Graveyard Duel is a neat set all around whether you're a Harry Potter fan or not. The set can easily fit into the other System themes, such as Town, Castle, Pirates, and even Western. I may have to pick up a few more of these at clearance time. But even for full price I think it's a good value - 548 parts for $30 - which works out to about five cents a piece.

Very cool review! Lots of great stuff in this set, nice pics of each. I like those cloth capes the 2 figures are wearing as well, I wish they'd do more capes like that for the SW figs, the Royal Guard could really use a 2-sided one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.