Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The great photographic undertaking

Well, I got inspired the other day to photograph my collection of everything from the best (Vader sculpture, etc.) to the cheapest (PEZ dispensers, etc.) and what a task it has become. So far I have photographed one shelving unit in a corner of my living room.

I am doing this for two reasons, one, I need proof for insurance purposes (Inspired my the massive loss of property by Katrina), and second, I didn't think I owned any of the small wing Hasbro TIE fighters, and while making space for the new large wing TIE fighter, I found I had not one, but two smaller wing TIE fighters.

Anyone else done this?
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Re: The great photographic undertaking

Sorry, I thought I posted this under "other", not hardly Rancor material.

Insurance purposes, eh? Expecting a descendant of Mrs. O'Leary's cow to kick over another lantern?

I thought about photographing my loose figures in order to document the weapons and accessories for future offline reference but I'm too lazy. There are some good weapons/accessories databases out there already anyway.

I usually photograph figures and LEGO sets before I open/assemble them, but with collecting sites like this one maintaining carded figure pics I don't do it as often any more. I still photograph LEGO sets before I assemble them so I can always check and count polybags in case I get a second set with broken seals and need to confirm it's complete.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Good idea, this will be a great tool for you if you do lose your swag . . . so where do you plan to keep hard copies of your photos, and how many sets of photos will you be storing ?
    Last edited by Kidhuman; 09-11-2005 at 09:51 AM.

Moved to Gen DIsc.

SOrry Caesar, I had to remove those comments since we are not in the pit anymore

I plan on doing this shortly. Did you take individual pictures of everything or group shots?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Good idea, this will be a great tool for you if you do lose your swag . . . so where do you plan to keep hard copies of your photos, and how many sets of photos will you be storing ?
    I don't know that I will be keeping hard copies, but I will download them to my computer, then save them to disc. The cost of making prints would be expensive especially with a collection like I have. Also the photos could be used should I ever need to sell any of it on eBay or other such sites.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I plan on doing this shortly. Did you take individual pictures of everything or group shots?
    Depends on what it is. The large ships and such will be taken individually, the smaller figures will be in group shots. The Gentle Giant busts might be tsken individually, and out of the box. I don't know how willing I would be to dig out the boxes for everything that I have loose. So far I have just skimmed one small area of my living room, still need to get the rest of the living room, and then the bedroom of wall to wall figures, and other stuff.

Yeah snapping shots of 500 figures is gonna be a b**ch, plus all the other stuff.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I've thought about doing this but like Frett I'd like to think I have a sizable collection and the time involved would kill me. One of these days though I may try it.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I too would be way to lazy to take pictures of my entire collection, although it would be nice to have the hard copies. When the ROTS line came out I started an Excel file with all of the figures and stuff that I own. The amount of figs, differnet variations/errors I own, Deluxe figs, exclusive figs, vehicles, etc. And that has become a pain to keep up with and maintain. I am thinking of cataloging all of my previous figues and stuff in Excel, but like I said, I am way to lazy and don't have the time now that football is on . I have stuff stored away I don't even know about. Sometimes I look through it and am like 'wow, i didn't know I had that'. If I do decide to put all my other stuff into an excel file I will definitely take pictures of it while I'm at it. I just don't know when that day will come.

For me, it's not a matter of being lazy, I just work way to many hours, and I am usually too tired, and very little time to get this done. I had some energy last night, started clicking off pictures and the battery needed to be charged. I have this morning off, so I will try to get another chunk of pictures done.

I do have a lot of sections of my collection done in the areas where they are displayed, but there is so much that I can't see because there is collectibles buried behind other collectibles, due to space limitations. You can see some of my mass collection here:

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=104013

The updated collection starts midway down the second page. These are not the individual photos that I am currently working on.