Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Commander Gree paint errors

Is it me or is the offering of Commander Gree just a little shoddy on the paint application?

Check out the toy pics here:
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...14580&cat=4046
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...14587&cat=4046

Then compare to the official site:
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...ree/index.html
    http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expa...port=undefined

and you'll see that Hasbro is NOWHERE near how Gree looked in the movie.

Okay let's go over the points of discussion:
    • For one notice even the helmet in the picture of the insert for the toy is from the movie and yet (1) the top portion of the helmet on the toy appears to be all green. Yet again the insert it's not. Going to the main site you can see that in fact it's not, (2) the "cheeks" of Gree are white, but the toy's are green. Again the insert in the toy packaging even clearly shows this.
    • Chest straps-okay I'm not alone in feeling that Hasbro cheapened out here and painted them instead of sculpting them, but sheesh at least paint them thicker and EVEN!
    •Overall green wash-particularly in two areas. The difference from the shoulder armor (dark green) and the lower arm armor (camoflauge and lighter green) is on the toy virtually indistinguishable. The chest part bothers me even more. The niddle part of the chest is the dark green while the rest is the camoflauge pattern. On the toy it's MUCH different. The middle portion is now the olive drab green while the outer parts are BLACK?? WTH is up with that? Once again this is even clear on the insert in the package.
    • The legs suffer the same olive drab coloration rather than the light camoflauge that it should be (not to mention no pistolstrap on the left leg!)

All in all I've got to say that Hasbro did a crappy job with the paint apps of this figure. Will I still get him? Yes, but I will heavily modify at least one of him to be movie accurate. That and I'll make some appropriate chest straps and pistol strap.

Dang, I was all excited about this figure, but seeing what's coming out leaves VERY much to be desired. (And that's putting it nicely.)

Thoughts/comments/rebuttals?
    -Sal
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 09-13-2005 at 06:05 PM.
    Move along, move along

Re: Commander Gree paint errors

Good observations Sal. I knew something seemed off when I first saw pictures of Commander Gree but hadn't taken the time to look into it as you did. Nice work.

Its pretty unfortunate that in Hasbro's rush to get 12 more figures out to capitalize on the success of the ROTS line they cut corners like this. The sad thing is as inaccurate as this figure is most of us will still buy it knowing that we'll probably never get another Gree. Customizing one of these will probably be our only chance at having a figure that represents the character we all saw in the film.

Very disappointing job Hasbro.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

A Lord of the Rings customizer made a Gree for me a couple of months ago:
    http://www.lordoftheringsguide.com/f...chmentid=12454

He actually looks 10 times better in person.

I'm going to get the Hasbro release but I'm not sure it will be an improvement. In fact, I might end up deciding to buy two or three of them and just call them regular clone soldiers compared to my custom Gree.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuuuuuke
    A Lord of the Rings customizer made a Gree for me a couple of months ago:
    http://www.lordoftheringsguide.com/f...chmentid=12454

He actually looks 10 times better in person.

I'm going to get the Hasbro release but I'm not sure it will be an improvement. In fact, I might end up deciding to buy two or three of them and just call them regular clone soldiers compared to my custom Gree.
    Ah, now see, if a LOTR fan can do this (while still not 100% accurate, it's MUCH better than Hasbro's), why can't Hasbro? BTW how much did that cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh and Luuuuuuke, I have the same idea. I'm going to buy a few of him. At first I thought I'd use him for just Gree, then realized that the paint job would make for a good Jungle/Forest Trooper. Instead of getting the 3or4 I first thought, I may get upwards of 8 of him now, customizing 3 of him as the "real" Gree.

Oh and here's a shot of Gree on one of THREE covers for SW Insider this month:
    http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expa...fined&caption=

It's the same pose as above, but is a little clearer. Also if you want to see the other two covers for SW Insider issue 84 go here (It shows Commander Bly and the other of Fox):
    http://www.starwars.com/community/fa...s20050913.html
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 09-14-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    Move along, move along

It's definitely not 100% accurate--the nose of the figure is missing a green paint application(there's a shade of the right "V" shape there, but I think he may have forgotten to paint it a more vivid green). But all in all, I think he came out really good.

The movie Gree has a CGI quality that is hard to replicate though, as you can probably tell from the official site's picture. He has a smoother look. So I didn't expect perfection from Hasbro. But I might buy 5 max of these as jungle troopers like you said Master Sal.

The weirdest thing about this is, the picture on the cardback shows the correct paint application, though the true figure does not. Maybe this will be yet another ROTS variation? We can only hope.

Also, I noticed that Passel Argente's chest scar is just painted on (pics at GH) . . . I thought they'd at least sculpt a new piece. Very disappointing.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Thing is Hasbro can and probably will use the excuse of "Product in package may differ..."

It's just an excuse to get out of doing it right.
    Move along, move along

looking at the new entertainment earth catalog, the Gree figure pictured seems to have at least the correct helmet paintjob
    ~Umbra: Light is only a shadow cast by the darkness of the stars

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal
    Ah, now see, if a LOTR fan can do this (while still not 100% accurate, it's MUCH better than Hasbro's), why can't Hasbro? BTW how much did that cost, if you don't mind me asking?
    I just realized I never answered your question. He charged me $15. I think part of the reason was that he had never done a SW figure and it looked challenging. He was going to charge me $10 to customize an SA clone into a shocktrooper. Pretty reasonable I think.

That's a GREAT price, Lu(6)ke! Is he still doing them for that price? I'd like to get one.
    Move along, move along