Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yoda sucks as a General

Yup thats right the little green dude isn't a very good general. Something about the battle on Kashyyyk has always bugged me in the way that it is shown. And no I'm not talking about how much of the battle we see (although I wouldn't have minded seeing more ) what I'm talking about is the 'order' in battle itself. First off the Republic seems to have next to zero organization. Granted I know that they were quickly sent there but everything seems to be in shambles on the beach. There is NO defensive line, the Republic should have had a strong primary line along with a few backup lines. There is next to none of that, there is one small trench but only a few clones are in there and I don't think any Wookies are in their at all. Again there isn't time to set up an "Atlantic Wall" as the Nazi's did during World War II but something would have been better then what the Repulic had. Even the smallest bit of protection is better then no protection at all.

Secondly where was the artillary? I only saw one piece that was left out in the open and quickly destroyed. Next: why were the Wookies allowed to run out and 'meet' the incoming droids? They should have kept cover allowing the enemy to come to them and to wait until they had a firing solution. Running out to meet the droids in the open would only increase casualities. Also why does Yoda have so many clones taking pot shots from the tree's??? Small arms fire from such a distance isn't likely going to do much good, up in those tree's might have been a good place to put some of the heavy guns... although they don't seem to have any. And lastly you can see in the background the Star Destroyer that the clones came to Kashyyyk in, this should have been much farther back. If the droids break through the Repulic's lines they could easily get to their ship. Even if the line is only breached by a small number it wouldn't take much to put the ship in real danger. The ship should have been WELL behind the lines inorder to maintain its saftey.

I'm sure nobody else has thought about this but I've been involved in reenacting and have studied military tactics so I'd like to think I know a few things on the subject.

Re: Yoda sucks as a General

"Fighting in desert is very different from fighting in canopy jungle . . . me and Wookiee, eyeball to eyeball."

Why couldnt they have used the Star Destroyer during the attack to pound the enemy forces before they reached the beach? I doubt any of the CIS weapons we see would have been strong enough to bring it down.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aid killer
    Why couldnt they have used the Star Destroyer during the attack to pound the enemy forces before they reached the beach? I doubt any of the CIS weapons we see would have been strong enough to bring it down.
    Good point, that would have been another source of firepower.

Personally I dont think that Yoda was a very good jedi let alone a good general. In fact i feel that he was directly responsible for Anikan's dissension into darkness. As for the Kashyk bit I don't understand why he was even dispatched as that was a mission that i feel would require superior stratagy not just flashy force powers.

This is the problem you always run into when you get movie directors, with absolutely no military experience, trying to film battle scenes. You end up with onscreen armies that could be taken out by a modern day Army National Guard unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlain_Vos View Post
    Personally I dont think that Yoda was a very good jedi let alone a good general. In fact i feel that he was directly responsible for Anikan's dissension into darkness. As for the Kashyk bit I don't understand why he was even dispatched as that was a mission that i feel would require superior stratagy not just flashy force powers.
    Now I belive that Mace Windu had the most to do with it, he had something against Anakin.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    Now I belive that Mace Windu had the most to do with it, he had something against Anakin.
    yes but the reason he fell to the dark side was the current jedi regimes archaic viewpoint on the force unlike earlier jedi organizations and unlike the jedi run by luke skywalker. in fact if Luke had listened to Yoda in the empire strikes back he to would have succumbed to the dark side. however i do agree that mace was also a contributing factor.
    "Rather a rude and indigested mass:
    A lifeless lump, unfashion'd, and unframed,
    Of jarring seeds; and justly Chaos named."
    Ovid, Metamorpisis

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I wait for the day when Yoda's past is written. I know he has some Darkside in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I wait for the day when Yoda's past is written. I know he has some Darkside in him.
    They'll probably incorporate that tree on Dagobah somehow me thinks.