Thread: Shelving units

Shelving units

Next month, I'm going to set up shelves along one of my bedroom walls so as to spread out my SW collection that's in my room and get the rest of it off the ping pong table. Of course when I do it I'll post pics.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get those kinds of shelves that many SSGers have (as I've seen in some pics here), where there are metal strips that go along the wall, with many holes in them so you can adjust the arrangement and number of shelves that go on there.

So, I was wondering where you guys got that? Did you do it yourself? And how much did it cost?

Re: Shelving units

Since I have over 400 books, comics, guides, binders, folders, magazines, etc., my shelves are mainly for them. Therefore, the standard shelves (probably 10-12" deep, 30-36" wide, 10-12" high for each shelf, 4-5 shelves) work for me. No metal ones, just wood or faux wood. Sadly, most of my collection is stored in boxes; good for keeping the dust and light out, bad for display purposes. The adjustable shelves are good in case you need the room, but they tend to be less stable than nailed-in ones, of course (solution: put less heavy items on those... genius! ).
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 09-17-2005 at 05:21 PM.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

True-Value, Sutherlands, Home Depot and Lowe's all have the type of units you are looking for.

I use standard bookcases with adjustable shelves. They work great for my purposes. The ones I use are 30" W X 12" D X 60" H. I got them at Wally World for $30.00.

The best advice I can give is to CAREFULLY consider the color of the shelves you get. I thought black shelves looked really cool (still do) but Darth Vader and TIE pilots completely disappear on black shelves. I'm currently putting in recessed spot lights to overcome this problem.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Fett
    True-Value, Sutherlands, Home Depot and Lowe's all have the type of units you are looking for.

I use standard bookcases with adjustable shelves. They work great for my purposes. The ones I use are 30" W X 12" D X 60" H. I got them at Wally World for $30.00.

The best advice I can give is to CAREFULLY consider the color of the shelves you get. I thought black shelves looked really cool (still do) but Darth Vader and TIE pilots completely disappear on black shelves. I'm currently putting in recessed spot lights to overcome this problem.
    As of now, I'm using white bookshelfs, but I saw the kind I mentioned above on TV and thought they looked pretty good, as I want to put them along the entire wall, and I then saw some of them on here. I think JediPartnr may have them; I'll have to check for sure.

If I have a choice, I think I'll stay with white. I plan on printing out background pictures for many of the scenes I put up, which will add color to it.

Thanks for the confirmation as to the places that have them, I'll look there when I start this.

In the past I have gone to Home Depot where they had a wide variety of shelves brackets and hardware to mount it. Mine have brackets that you screw onto the wall. If you can try to locate the studs in the wall for a more solid mounted shelf, otherwise they sell anchors that you put in the hole that you drill in the hollow wall plaster. Then you screw the shelving brackets onto the wall into the anchors which expand as you turn the screw into it. I did a section with three strips, which allowed me to stagger the shelves at various heights.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

The biggest thing to remember (at least to us OCD folk) is that the darker the color of the shelf, the more it's gonna need to be dusted.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Fett
    I'm currently putting in recessed spot lights to overcome this problem.
    Thats awesome! I'd love to see some pics of how that turns out.

I just use some cheap bookcases that I picked up from Target for about $30. They aren't the best, but they get the job done. I only have a small fraction of my collection displayed anyways. Since I'm limited on space, most of my stuff is boxed and put away (indoors of course).

You could always build your own display cabinets. I always wanted to display my stuff but only inside a dust-free environment. After much waffling, I decided in 2002 to finally take a stab at building my own wall-mounted display cabinets. Of the five cabinets I made, this one is my largest - it measures 32" W x 62" H, and like all my other cabinets, it is only 6" deep.

Cabinet

The cabinet has eight adjustable shelves inside with approximately 250 figures on display. I bought a large 4 foot x 8 foot x 3/4" sheet of styrofoam (about $3) and cut it into strips to create a graduated display on each shelf. Most shelves have three styrofoam "steps" to put figures on. Styrofoam is way cheaper than wood and adds very little additional weight for the shelf to support.

Two shelves

The cabinet cost approximately $47 to build. The clear acryllic sheet in the door was the single most expensive piece of material; a 30" W x 60" H x .08" D sheet this large cost about $19. It helps to have access to the right tools too. My parents have a garage with all types of woodworking equipment. For this project I used a radial arm saw, bandsaw, table saw, router, belt sander, and various drills.

Details
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)