Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock radio in Chicago officially sucks.....

...as of noon today, September 26, 2005. I was listening to my favorite radio station 94.7 "the Zone" today, went to lunch, and when I returned they were playing "oldies". From what I can gather from another station "Q 101" the Zone's station format had changed. I liked the rock music they played, and there is only "Q 101" which is alternative music, and 97.9 the "Loop" which plays some new music, but mostly older stuff like Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Tom Petty, Journey, Dylan and other mostly older rock.

To make matters worse, I won a six pack of CD's which I haven't yet recieved, and now will most likely never get.

Much anger in my world today.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Re: Rock radio in Chicago officially sucks.....

That sucks. I think all rock stations are dead nowadays unless its Classic Rock.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

That's why, when I'm not listening to cds, the only radio station I listen to anymore is NPR.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I have turned to talk Radio, mostly sports though
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    ...as of noon today, September 26, 2005. I was listening to my favorite radio station 94.7 "the Zone" today, went to lunch, and when I returned they were playing "oldies". From what I can gather from another station "Q 101" the Zone's station format had changed. I liked the rock music they played, and there is only "Q 101" which is alternative music, and 97.9 the "Loop" which plays some new music, but mostly older stuff like Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Tom Petty, Journey, Dylan and other mostly older rock.

To make matters worse, I won a six pack of CD's which I haven't yet recieved, and now will most likely never get.

Much anger in my world today.
    was this a Clear Channel owned station by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran
    was this a Clear Channel owned station by any chance?
    Don't know, but I sent an e-mail to the station and got the following reply:

Thanks for the e-mail Barry. Firstly, you will get your CDs. As soon as
    we get all six in, we'll send them out.

As for the format switch, it was a decision made by ABC to seek higher
    ratings. There's not much more I can say about that. We know it's
    impossible to please everyone, but we appreciate the support you've
    shown The Zone over the years.

Thanks.

I know I won't be listening to Q 101 in the morning, as they have this boistorus (sp?) *** hole name Mancow who is a jerk that I refuse to listen to anymore. The rest of the day is debatable, I may just switch to AM radio.

I hate Mancow, I saw him at Wizard World this year with that stupid vehicle of his and he's lucky he didn't get slapped like the ***** he is.

Doesn't rock radio suck overall anyway? Before moving to California, I never dreamed I could be sick of "Janie's Crying." That was before all five rock radio stations in the area were playing it at the same time.

There are two good stations in San Diego that I can pick up occasionally. One is 102.1, which plays mostly older stuff, blues, etc. The other is 94.9, which is one of the few truly alternative stations I've found in years. Both of them play Bob Marley. :smoke:

Recently, 93.1 converted to "Jack FM," which purports to "Play what we want." After a strong initial start (how often do you hear Bon Jovi, Prince, and Nirvana back-to-back?), they seem to have decided that "what we want" means the same 20 new wave songs from 1983 over and over.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So "Jack FM" isn't just a Chicago station? I did listen briefly to another station which had the same "play what we want" format, and I got turned off to it really fast.

I do hate the fact that most stations play the same one or two songs by a group, when I know that there are more than just that small selection on an album that are really good. At least my car has a four disc CD player, so I can listen to what I want while I drive.

Rock radio had abandoned Los Angeles years ago, you'd think in the city that's basically home to the music industry, rock would at least get a shot, but the metal station got pushed off the air and onto the web, the classic rock station feels like a corporate joke, and everything else is pop or hip-hop or oldies. I wish the FAA would lighten up on the requirements for an AM station license, even without stereo or quality sound I'd rather have a real rock station alive in LA than not.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.