Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GI Joe Sigma 6

GI Joe Sigma 6

I know a lot of Joe fans are really miffed by this line, I was among them when we first saw the Sigma 6 line as I've been a RAH fan since forever. However, what drew me to the RAH line is what ultimately just drew me into this new Sigma 6 line: the accessories. RAH was amazing to me because there were a million accessories with every figure, guns, swords, gizmos, you name it, and with Sigma 6, the 4 sets I've bought so far have had even more accessories per figure than even the RAH line! Plus, the 8" scale lets the articulation really work well, and the accessories get to be bigger and more detailed. The minus is that RAH's myriad of vehicles is not feasible with this S6 line, the only vehicle so far is the Ninja Hovercycle.

So far, I have Snake Eyes, Duke, Storm Shadow, and the Ninja Hovercycle. The cycle is a little big for the figures but doable, and it's nifty in its own right AND has lots of accessories (it has SE's accessories but with a few changes). The figures are all very cool, somewhat cartoony but not ridiculous or overly-anime (well, SE's eyes are, but he has the visor that can cover it up), and each figure sports lots of articulation which was the other thing about RAH that appealed to me. RAH was more about building armies though, where at $15 a pop S6 is definitely not going to have dozens of figures in kids hands, so there are trade-offs, but S6 has great play value just as RAH did. The S6 Joes even have flip-up commlinks on their wrists which is a great touch.

SE and Duke do have an oversized accessory, SE has the whip-star which ain't too bad but also the zipline handle which is just too big (and the whip-star's rope isn't long enough to make that fun anyway), Duke has this oversized grappling gun with huge hook and pull-down-to-go-up feature (but it does work with the switchfire gun so that's a slightly saving grace). SS has a display stand for his 2 swords, it's the least offensive of these larger accessories though. All 3 figures have lots of cool accessories to make up for the one not as cool accessory, Storm Shadow's traditional ninja gear being my favorite overall, though Duke's switchfire blasters and 2 of its attachments are really cool too, and Snake Eyes has some good stuff as well.

I saw one ep of the show, for me it could not have been worse, but I loved the old RAH line for years without thinking about the show (I watched the show, but not religiously like some of my friends at the time), so I am pretty sure S6 will work for me based on the toys in spite of the show and that'll be just fine.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: GI Joe Sigma 6

I think the figures look pretty nice, but at $15 each, they're way overpriced. The design is cool overall, and I'm glad we finally got a Snake Eyes that shows some scar tissue.

I caught part of an episode of the TV show as well. The animation was gorgeous, the character designs were perfect updates (though Scarlett looked way too young to be getting it on with a Vietnam vet), and I loved that two characters (Duke and Hawk) were referred to by real names.

What didn't I like? Everything else. The story was weak, and focused way too much on Hawk's annoying kid. (I don't recall him having kids in any previous incarnation, and it doesn't fit for a man who, RAH or Sigma 6, devoted his entire life to his country.) Duke got way too much screen time, too. I always thought they misspelled the name of the character initially, and it should've been "Douche." (I may be in a minority, but I'd love to see a 30-minute episode of any GI Joe cartoon that's just Duke getting kicked in the jimmies by every single bad guy.)

And why would an American cartoon be poorly dubbed, regardless of whether it was produced by a Japanese studio? Were they trying to make it look like an import?

The opening credits showed all the really cool Cobras: Destro, Cobra Commander, Zartan, Annie DeCobray-Destro, etc. Why, then, is Hasbro making only a Storm Shadow? Tell me you wouldn't want a Sigma 6 styled Zartan or Destro. C'mon. I dare you.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Dare taken! Two reasons.
    1. The line sucks and I don't want to see anymore of the characters I like ruined.
    2.Even if I liked the line, I couldn't afford to buy them because of the rising cost of fuel, and the rising cost of Star Wars collecting due to online (Entertainment Earth & Star Wars Shop) exclusives!

Okay I do think it's cool how the top and bottom of the packaging become the carrying case for the accessories.

Chux, how much do you think they should be then? I think $12 is the magic number there, they're 8" figures with lots of articulation and gear and a big weapons case, they're not gonna be the same price as a 4" figure.

Next wave of figures has Cobra Commander and a BAT, BATs being the line's main Cobra grunt, so the villains are not out of the running. I do agree that they should have put Destro or another Cobra into the first wave alongside the awesome Storm Shadow figure, it's not right having 4 Joes to 1 Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta
    Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    Tell me you wouldn't want a Sigma 6 styled Zartan or Destro. C'mon. I dare you.
    Dare taken! Two reasons.
    1. The line sucks and I don't want to see anymore of the characters I like ruined.
    Er, Hasbro already did that with the RAH line with both those characters, I give you the last iterations of Destro the Pinhead: http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/destro11.shtml
    and Zartan in disguise as a boring generic figure:
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/zartan7.shtml

Face it, Hasbro hasn't been doing right by a lot of these characters, we cannot hold onto the past because otherwise we get stuff like this...
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/82/cobra.shtml

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! What a complete loser!

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey, I love that little guy!!!

OK, OK! I just bought my son Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and the Ninja Cycle (because you know ninja were all about the high tech stuff) for his birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Chux, how much do you think they should be then? I think $12 is the magic number there, they're 8" figures with lots of articulation and gear and a big weapons case, they're not gonna be the same price as a 4" figure.
    I have a hard time seeing Marvel Legends for $7-$8 ea. and then seeing these for $15. I would think $10 would be more reasonable. Still more than "Legends" and fair considering the higher quality plastic and packaging gimic.

So, what did the kid think of the toys? And the modern ninja would need to adapt... ok, that's lame, even for me.

Marvel Legends is several inches shorter and far less material, almost no good accessories, and their quality control & play value is... shall we say, not top-drawer? I do hear ya though, $15 does seem pretty high.

I had time to get a better look at these figures yesterday. Although I've lost interest in Joe stuff, I do think the figures are pretty neat looking. I don't care for anime at all and haven't seen the new cartoon but the sculpts weren't that bad. Looked like the figures have decent articulation and are packaged in a cool box with their accessories on display. As someone mentioned already, I noticed that the box caps fit together to make a footlocker to hold the accessories; plus those boxes are stackable. Too bad they won't hold the figure too.

The $15 pricepoint is the major stumbling block. I don't know if kids will be able to talk parents into springing for a potentially large line of figures at this price. Personally, I have a hard time justifying more than $10 on a figure, even if the new Joes are a couple of inches taller than the standard McFarlane or NECA figure, which usually retail around ten bucks. I just passed on the new Hellboy figures since they were $15 each. I started feeling buyer remorse just handling them in the store
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    So, what did the kid think of the toys? And the modern ninja would need to adapt... ok, that's lame, even for me.

Marvel Legends is several inches shorter and far less material, almost no good accessories, and their quality control & play value is... shall we say, not top-drawer? I do hear ya though, $15 does seem pretty high.
    My son loves them and was suprised that I bought them. The Accessories are cool, the plastic is nice and tough, but personally I still don't like the sculpts. But the motorcyc;e has some cool features.

The was a wave or two, a couple years ago where I thought it looked like Hasbro was goin to "get it right" with the revisted American Heroe line. There was a really good Duke, and Snake Eyes. But ever since they relaunched it I didn't like the comic style profile shots. It was like POTF2, everyone looked like He-Man! I would have gone nuts over vintage style packaging, and probably paid more for each figure that way!

They're offering new RAH figures in classic-style packaging on the Hasbro site now, the line isn't dead, just pushed to the internet.

I don't know why, but when you were talking about the POTF2 figs, I thought you said they all looked like Pac-Man! What a picture that put in my head!