Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clone Mold Head-Count

Let’s count the different molds that Hasbro has made for Clones so far.

#6 Quick-Draw Clone
    #33 Clone Commander
    #38 AT-TE Gunner
    #41 SA Clone
    #49 Commander Bacara
    Deluxe - Jet-Pack Clone
    Target Exclusive Clone - (2003 Clone Wars SA Clone) this was already a re-hash

That’s 7 different molds mixed in to the current line. I learned at Comic-Con, from the Hasbro guys, that there are only so many molds that can be used to pump out new figs at any given time...and we all know how much they love to re-use existing molds to get more bang for their buck. If we look at all the new Clones coming out now, we can easily figure out WHY we’re getting exactly WHAT we’re getting.

#6 Quick-Draw Clone – Kmart Jedi Temple Assault
    #33 Commander – #57 Commander Bly
    #38 AT-TE Gunner - #65 Tactical Ops
    #41 SA Clone – #59 Commander Gree
    #49 Bacara – Target Attack on Coruscant
    Deluxe Jet-Pack Clone – Target Attack on Coruscant
    Target Exclusive Clone – Target Exclusive Utapau Special Ops Trooper (’03 SA Clone)

It seems that a lot of complaining has been going on regarding Hasbro’s choices for some of the newer Clones. Why the Kmart JTA has Quick-Draw Clones? Why the 501st with the AT-TE Gunner body? Why the new Target Attack on Coruscant pack uses the Deluxe Jet-Pack Troopers?

I guess I’m trying to put together a theory that answers these questions. I know everyone wants every Clone to be the #41 mold, but it just doesn’t work that way. There’s too much plastic, and too few molds.

What do you think???

Re: Clone Mold Head-Count

Seems right to me but you left out the Shocktrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened88
    Seems right to me but you left out the Shocktrooper.
    Yes I know, but I wasn't counting the repaints, Shocktrooper, Green Commander, since those started shipping almost 2 months ago.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to produce more mold for the #41 as opposed to develope new sculpts for the Jet Pack, Quick Draw, Delux 3 pack, etc.?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's Beer!! Hooray Beer!!![/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyNug
    What do you think?
    Your nuts and have way too much free time at work.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spoon
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to produce more mold for the #41 as opposed to develope new sculpts for the Jet Pack, Quick Draw, Delux 3 pack, etc.?
    Yeah I like this one, what's up with this? Hasbro is aways saying how tooling is the most expensive part. I guess in the long run, producing the the inferior versions is cheaper.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Hasbro should pull their heads out of their non collecting arses and read these forums. I swear, can it get any easier than listening to people who are throwing money their way????
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Wouldn't it all be much easier if ROTS had simply stuck with the AOTC clone design? I know I'd have been a lot happier. Just army build the s**t out of those clones and you'd have been good for Attack of the Clones, Clone wars animated and Revenge of the Sith. Now our AOTC armies are only suitable for the one film and the animated series and we have to build ROTS armies of different clones from different f**king planets. I think its all very cynical.

Having redesigned clones for ROTS doesn't make any in-universe sense to me nor out-of-universe does it smack of anything other than an attempt to fleece us all of our money with the toys. The OT had consistency throughout. Star destroyers, the Falcon, X-wings, TIEs all appearing in all 3 films. Your toy stormtroopers are suitable for dioramas based off of any of the 3 films. The prequels for some reason have to have entirely new stuff in each film resulting in this question of why everything suddenly stagnates in the Star Wars universe (fine if you accept certain speculative answers). I didn't need to see any further visual evolution between AOTC clone and Stormtrooper to know that the former was going to turn into the latter. This was made clear by the story events, it didn't need to be rammed home with more visual clues.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo
    Wouldn't it all be much easier if ROTS had simply stuck with the AOTC clone design?
    From who's point of view??? A toy collector or a movie audience???

I think the ROTS Troopers are a perfect "hybrid" between AOTC and ANH, and I totally appreciate seeing them. You mean to tell me that you didn't get excited when you first saw Commander Gree in his camo armor???

If you look at the OT, there's definitely an evolution present...first we had Stormtroopers, then Snowtroopers, then Scout Troopers. You can also follow this in the ships as well. We got Snowspeeders in ESB, and A-Wings & B-Wings in ROTJ.

I don't think the concept artists are thinking about how many toys they can sell when George asks them to come up with new ideas. Hasbro is doing this years later AFTER they are handed the designs. It's up to THEM to decide.

From who's point of view??? A toy collector or a movie audience???
    It'd be easier on the toy collector particularly - which I sense you'd agree on. For the movie audience it wasn't necessary to change the design of the clones.

I think the ROTS Troopers are a perfect "hybrid" between AOTC and ANH, and I totally appreciate seeing them
    Yes but had you never seen them to begin with you wouldn't miss them - the redesign wasn't necessary. In-universe and out-of-universe what was wrong with the AOTC clones?? Fair enough, the fancy ROTS clones are appreciable after the fact but why was it necessary for the Galactic Republic to alter the design and why was it necessary for Lucas to have it changed? Place the AOTC clones in Revenge of the Sith and they aren't out of place. The Story, order 66 etc makes it perfectly acceptable that these are the bad guys now - by the time of ANH when we are seeing stormtroopers it is no great jump to assume that these are the follow-up of AOTC clones (there having been a single redesign to mark the onset of the Imperial Empire). The mid-point redesign is purely for visual titilation of Star wars fans and the foreknowledge that they'll make a fortune in toy sales. I disagree with you about the concept artists and Lucas not having toys at least partially in mind. How could they not?

You mean to tell me that you didn't get excited when you first saw Commander Gree in his camo armor???
    No I was excited when Yoda confronted Palpatine but...whose commander Gree when he's at home?

If you look at the OT, there's definitely an evolution present...first we had Stormtroopers, then Snowtroopers, then Scout Troopers. You can also follow this in the ships as well. We got Snowspeeders in ESB, and A-Wings & B-Wings in ROTJ.
    I semi-see your point here but....its not so much an 'evolution' is it? Stormtroopers don't turn into Scout troopers - they exist as seperate branches of the Imperial infantry at the same time. Scout troopers are simply introduced to us at later point in the saga - they don't replace and render the stormtroopers obsolete. ROTS - one film - bombards you with so many different 'new' troopers that you have to see the film 15 times to spot them all and who would have complained if we were just looking at the AOTC clones again?? The ROTS clones make the AOTC clones completely obsolete and then themselves become obsolete after just the one film. Stormtroopers last for 3 films.