Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane....

Well, sorta.

As many of you know I am active duty Army. I have been here at Fort Knox for 4 1/2 years, before that I was stationed in Hawaii. In fact, back in 1999, when I first discoverd SSG, I was living on the island of Oahu. Over the years I have disappeared from the forums for weeks or months at a time, duty calls.

Well, after 4 1/2 years of living the good life at Fort Knox I was informed today, that it is yet again, time for me to move on.

In a few months I will be going off to my new duty assignment at Fort Hood TX.

I will probably be off the forums from late Jan or early Feb until some time in April. During that time I will be going to school and taking leave before I sign in to my new unit, whichever unit that will be.

I am looking forward to new challenges and a change of pace. I have never really been one to sit still for too long. Almost five years in one place (for the most part) has been frustrating. I look forward to meeting new people and experiencing life in Texas. I am also hopeful that my time at Ft. Hood will be shorter than the time I have spent here.

I was soooo hoping for an overseas assignment, but the Army says they need me at Ft. Hood, so that's where I'm going.

Anyway I will be busy over the next couple of months getting ready for the move, packing up my figures, ordering the new Star Cases for my ROTS figs, etc.

Any advise for moving "the collection"?
    May the force be with you.

Re: I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane....

Good luck with the new assignment sith_killer_99, I hope the move is a safe journey my friend. As for the collection, pack it well, mark as fragile & do not tell the movers. Good luck with everything & don't forget to pop in once & a while to give us some updates.

TC & Peace

Brandon
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

I was at 6 bases over the past 12 years, including 4 moves in the last 6 years. Two of those moves were across the country (Northern CA to Washington DC to Las Vegas). My collection wasn't that much of a problem because I open most of my figures. My loose collection is stored in large Rubbermade containers. Typically, the movers just taped the containers shut and put them in a box. The only item in my collection that I had a problem with during any of the moves was my AT-AT. The movers used packing tape to seal it and wrote on the box. I do have a medium sized moving box full of carded figures and a couple more with vehicles....no problem there. Most of the movers I had didn't repack boxes if they are already packed.

I also have a decent sized sports card collection. No problems there either. I took my most valuable cards with me since I have a pick-up with a cover.

The movers marked the Star Wars collection "Toys" and the sports cards were marked "Baseball cards" on the box. My stuff wasn't in storage very long, so there wasn't much of a chance for anything to happen.

Good Luck with the move and new assignment.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

The army wouldn't let me join because I have metal clips in my head from surgery. Too bad, I would have liked to have learned something, and got a direction in my life.

SK99, Are you in for life? My son wants to join the Air Force once he gets done with High School, and at least for the moment he plans on staying in 20 years.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Good luck with the move.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    SK99, Are you in for life? My son wants to join the Air Force once he gets done with High School, and at least for the moment he plans on staying in 20 years.
    I just got out of the Air Force after 12 years. Some people thought I was crazy because I was over half way, while others didn't blame me. I did enjoy it, but the Air Force started turing into the Army (no offence, SK99 ) Plus, my family started being more of a priority to me. During my time in, I got an Associate's Degree and enough training to make $50,000+ per year with a big engineering firm. If you have more questions, feel free to PM or e-mail me.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Well that's the thing. I have 12 in right now. In order for me to go to Fort Hood I have to have 2 years left on my current contract when I get there. I will only have about a year. So I have to re-enlist. However, because I am an E-6 with over 10 years I have to re-up "indefinatly".

Really all that means is that if I take this assignment I will be in for good (20 years).

I just got out of the Air Force after 12 years. Some people thought I was crazy because I was over half way, while others didn't blame me. I did enjoy it, but the Air Force started turing into the Army (no offence, SK99 )
    None taken.

6 assignments in 12 years! I can see why you wanted to get out. I like going new places, but that would drive me nuts. So far my shortest assignment was 2 1/2 years.

During my time in, I got an Associate's Degree and enough training to make $50,000+ per year with a big engineering firm.
    That's great. I worry about soldiers/airmen/etc who just get out and have no plan or any way of supporting themselves or their family. It sounds like you knew what you wanted and went for it.

I could probably get a good paying job if I got out, but I have a lot of other reasons for staying in. Still, I don't plan of staying in past 20. It wouldn't be fair to my family. Besides, I want to start a new career after I retire and that's a lot easier to do at age 39 than it is at say 45-50.

Good luck with everything & don't forget to pop in once & a while to give us some updates.
    Yeah, I plan on doing a "cross-country" toy run. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
    May the force be with you.

Congrats on the new assignment SK99

My advice would be to put everything in rubbermaid containers. However,instead of just taping them or snapping them shut,drill a hole in the middle of the handle on each side and put a cable tie through. Makes it much harder to lose your stuff/have it picked through.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Many blessings on your new home and on your move SK99. Just pray that the road to Texas is a smooth one--both for you, your family and your Star Wars figures.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Good luck with everything SK. That's the one thing I'm dreading is that when I come up for orders I won't get orders for the same base. I shouldn't have a problem though seeing as some of the people I work with have been at the same base for nearly 8 and 9 years. We'll see. I'm up for orders next September.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!