Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

orginal jabba the hut character

I have heard stories how Jabba the hut was originally a humanoid type and that there was a scene in a new hope with him and Han Solo on Mos Eisley. I have a friend who has seen it on a DVD, but every time he comes over we can never find it. Can someone please tell me where to look for this scene? Thanks

Re: orginal jabba the hut character

Sorry, I got temporarily stupid on this one!
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

The scene with the human Jabba (the actors name was Declan Mulholland) was never released on video. It was taped and they were supposed to use some sort of Jabba (I'm not sure how they were gonna do it) but the budget wasn't big enough.

The guy that played Jabba died just recently if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a pic of him and Han in the scene. Picture
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

The scene with a "human" Jabba can only be seen on the old video From Star Wars to Jedi as far as I know.

I think it's on the SE video too, when they show how they added that craptacular CG Jabba mark I.

Slick, I think they originally planned to layer a stop motion creature over Declan but I don't know exactly, other than how else could they do it ? No CG at the time so it would have been interesting to see how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    I think it's on the SE video too, when they show how they added that craptacular CG Jabba mark I.

Slick, I think they originally planned to layer a stop motion creature over Declan but I don't know exactly, other than how else could they do it ? No CG at the time so it would have been interesting to see how it turned out.
    That sounds right to me, I know I have it on video somewhere in a 'making of' type segment.

On the SE VHS tapes, they have a brief "making of" documentary that shows the original version of this bit, before the guy was replaced by a CG Jabba and Boba Fett was digitally added. He doesn't appear anywhere on the DVD to my knowledge, but there may be a brief glimpse of him in one of the documentaries.

The original novelization described him as a shaggy humanoid with a huge head. Marvel used this description in a story from the late 70s called "Whatever Happened to Jabba the Hut?" (The second 't' was added later.) They used a cantina character who kind of fits the bill and has since been named Mosep (and is now supposed to be Jabba's accountant, who kind of went nuts and impersonated Jabba for a while) to represent Jabba.

The pre-1997 Expanded Universe stories, based upon the fact that Harrison Ford shot scenes with Mulholland, said the fat guy in the fur coat was named Heater, and he was Jabba's decoy. Some people believed Heater to be Jabba, but Han was not fooled, having met Jabba earlier.

Although the Special Editions show Han meeting Jabba, there's never been any confirmation that Heater never existed. He just wasn't in the docking bay with Han at that time.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I was going to mention Mosep but you totally beat me to it!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The raw footage was also on that Star Wars CD-ROM whose name I cannot remember at all right now. "Magic" or "Ultimate" or something like that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Behind the Magic, a 2 disc set. It's sitting right here next to my computer but I had to wipe off the dust to read the cover.