Hybrid View

What would you put on a SW Saga compilation disc?

So, in the Target compilation CD thread, we were talking about what we did and didn't think was a good choice for the CD, this is supposed to be music spanning the entire saga after all. Here's the Target CD's track breakdown:
    [FONT=Arial]
    1. Star Wars Main Title And The Arrival At Naboo (2:55)
    2. The Flag Parade (2:11)
    3. Qui-Gon's Noble End (3:47)
    4. Jango's Escape (3:47)
    5. Yoda and the Younglings (3:56)
    6. General Grievous (4:07)
    7. Anakin's Dark Deeds (4:04)
    8. Imperial Attack (6:44)
    9. Ben Kenobi's Death/Tie Fighter Attack (3:53)
    10. Yoda and the Force (4:05)
    11. The Clash of Lightsabers (4:19)
    12. Sail Barge Assault (5:04)
    13. End Title (From Star Wars Episode VI) (6:05)
    [/FONT]
    Ok, that's alright I suppose. But let's say that track listing doesn't suit your tastes, perfectly reasonable, what tracks SHOULD be on there? Keep in mind, we're only limited to around 70 minutes total for 1 compilation CD. So what tracks would be on your SW Saga compilation disc?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: What would you put on a SW Saga compilation disc?

Even without having the cds right in front of me, I know it would be really tough, and I know I'd try to make one for each trilogy.
    But I'm not sure what one would be harder: finding enough great songs to fill a PT disc or deciding what to cut out on a OT disc.

My biggest complaint with the PT is the music. It's still good, but it wasn't as powerful as the OT music, IMO.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Just throwing in a few from each film, not looking at the times at the moment. And I don't have the discs in front of me, so the titles may be off.

TPM:
    The Droid Battle and the Appearance of Darth Maul
    He Is the Chosen One
    The High Council Meeting and Qui-Gon's Funeral
    Duel of the Fates
    Desert Winds
    The Arrival at Tatooine and the Flag Parade

AOTC:
    Jango's Escape
    Yoda and the Younglings
    Across the Stars
    Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

ROTS:
    Anakin's Dark Deeds
    Battle of the Heroes
    General Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious
    The Immolation Scene

ANH:
    Main Title
    Throne Room/End Credits
    Landspeeder Search/Attack of the Sand People
    Jawa Sandcrawler/The Droid Auction
    Tales of a Jedi Knight/Learn About the Force
    Cantina Band ("Mad About Me")

ESB:
    Imperial Probe Droid/Aboard the Executor
    The Imperial March
    Yoda's Theme
    Han Solo and the Princess
    The Asteroid Field
    Lando's Palace
    The Fleet Goes into Hyperspace/City in the Clouds
    The Battle of Hoth
    A Clash of Lightsabers

ROTJ:
    The Forest Battle (Concert Suite)
    Leia's News/Light of the Force
    Into the Trap
    Sail Barge Assault
    Parade of the Ewoks
    The Emperor's Death
    Jabba's Baroque Recital
    Victory Celebration/End Credits

SOTE:
    Night Skies
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    My biggest complaint with the PT is the music. It's still good, but it wasn't as powerful as the OT music, IMO.
    Wow, I feel completely the opposite way... I think the music from the Prequels has been one of its few great strengths. In fact, I can't even listen to the OT music these days because it seems so Old School to me. Listening to my Correllian Edition compilation really made the tracks from ANH sound really primitive by comparison. I think tracks like Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Dark Deeds and Battle of the Heroes really took Star Wars music into new operatic territories that the OT had barely touched upon. Granted, ANH laid the foundation for all of the familiar signature Star Wars themes and will stand the test of time as perhaps the greatest film compositions of all time, so I do give it that, but I think the Prequel scores are very powerful and Williams is much more experienced than when he did ANH. You can tell he really improved upon his already brilliant God-given talents as a composer 30 years later. The Prequels always get a bad rap from fans for being clunky on story and dialogue but I have to say, the OT is looking pretty technically dated these days, especially after Revenge of the Sith. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but that is what brings balance to the Force and the Saga.

Geez Chux, you makin' a boxed set there? That's 38 tracks, probably 3 discs' worth. Are those your track orders? I notice they're not in chronological order within the films, is that intentional? I love how you have the ANH start and then immediately end, Star Wars in 30 minutes watch out! We've got Star Wars in 6 minutes. It's a very thorough list, "Jabba's Baroque Recital" is a pretty esoteric track, I think it's only found on the SE soundtrack.

I'm with Rocketboy on the Prequel scores, I don't think they're that good.

Quote Originally Posted by d-dave
    I think tracks like Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Dark Deeds and Battle of the Heroes really took Star Wars music into new operatic territories that the OT had barely touched upon.
    Perhaps, but IMO they are out of place, they are large and a tad out of touch with the Star Wars feel to me, they seem overly opulent to me (which would make sense given how obscenely opulent the prequels themselves were).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

God, that Target CD sounds terrible! I'd pick more recognizable themes, even if most of them are the studio versions and not exactly how they appeared in the films. I actually downloaded many of these and made my own CD like this, albeit without the ROTS tracks, a few years ago before I got all the CDs (sans the TPM 2-disc set). Something similar, but not exact, to the Musical Journey DVD with the ROTS DVD would be nice.

1. Star Wars Main Theme and the Arrival at Naboo
    2. Anakin's Theme
    3. Duel of the Fates
    4. Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones)
    5. Jango's Escape
    6. Anakin's Dark Deeds (Order 66 in the film)
    7. Battle of the Heroes
    8. Binary Sunset
    9. Cantina Band
    10. Princess Leia's Theme
    11. Throne Room (end credits edited out)
    12. Imperial March
    13. Han Solo and the Princess
    14. Yoda's Theme
    15. Jedi Rocks (deal with it . . . also, non-movie stuff edited out)
    16. Forest Battle (Concert Suite)
    17. Victory Celebration and End Credits
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Actually, JT, I made (pre-ROTS) a six-disc set to keep in my car, and recently put together three discs of "Star Wars and Other Stuff" for a friend who would otherwise never have any John Williams music. (Course, with Hook, Harry Potter, Empire of the Sun, Nixon, etc, there wasn't room for all the SW tracks I listed above.)

I don't dislike the ANH score at all. However, in retrospect, it's not as rich as the others. You have the Luke theme. You have the Force theme. You have Leia's theme. And you have stand-alone pieces for the Jawas, Tuskens, and Cantina Band. And then there's about an hour or so of variations on the three main themes. It's very good, but in comparison to the others, it's the weakest.

My favorite as of the moment is the ROTS score. It's his most powerful yet, and I personally have no problem at all with the slight resemblance to the Harry Potter scores. I love Harry Potter.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Perhaps, but IMO they are out of place, they are large and a tad out of touch with the Star Wars feel to me, they seem overly opulent to me (which would make sense given how obscenely opulent the prequels themselves were).
    I think they're certainly excellent tracks but they are too good for what we see on screen. The only part of the OT where the music skimmed this kind of grandness is the vocals in Return of the Jedi when Luke gives in to his anger temporarily and perhaps at the moment of Vader's redemption. Nevertheless I would still put the main prequel themes on a saga compilation disc even if they knock the balance somewhat - good music is good music.

Now that I think of it a good compilation would be the end title tracks to all the films. They'd be missing some good action music, mostly from Empire Strikes Back (my favourite score aswell as film) but most of the relevant stuff would be there.

I would just have an endless loop of the "Imperial March" done. That would be enough to turn even the die hard fans off!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!