Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looks Like Sony may shoot themselves in the Foot with the Playstation 3

The following is being reported at the Gaming-Age forums.

"SCE has secured the patent for a new disc technology that, if used, would not allow the PS3 to read used games for that platform. The technology was invented by Kutaragi himself, as well as two others

Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl

It is indicated specifically that the technology is to prevent the use of used as well as pirated software

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used

This would mean that Net-based and other such games will not be the only ones to be affected by the technology

Naturally third software developers would embrace this technology, and it would ensure sales of the inevitable "Best series" for the PS3, but used games shops would be put out of business if the PS3 were to become the primary platform in the next generation

While information regarding the patent does not specify outright that the technology will be used in the PS3, Kutaragi has gone on record saying that copy management is absolutely necessary in order to endure that no "Napsters" of the game industry create problems in the future."
    So what does this mean to gamers you may be wondering.

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used.
    Or in other words, if Sony does decide to go through with this; new PS3 games will in turn only work on one system and that is it, the first PS3 it is played on. After that the game will be useless to any other PS3. So if your PS3 quits working and you need to replace it or you want to either rent or buy/sale a used PS3 game, you are screwed.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 11-09-2005 at 09:58 PM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Re: Looks Like Sony may shoot themselves in the Foot with the Playstation 3

That also means you can't borrow or let anyone borrow your games.

Hell, that would even kill the rental market, so I can't see Sony actually using this type of thing.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Hell, that would even kill the rental market, so I can't see Sony actually using this type of thing.
    It would also kill the second hand market, which I'd think Sony would be more then happy to do so.

I've been debating whether to buy one of these new systems and, if so, which. If this is true, the decision was just made for me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl
    Maybe when we see something official reported about this -- or even linked to a page that I can read, that actually says something about this "new disk technology" -- then we should get excited or angry.

Sounds like a little calculated PS3 bashing just before the new Xbox is due to come out.

Sony sucks, screw the PS3. I will get a X-Box 360. It wouldn't suprise me if Sony did this. if so the sales of their systems would be junk, plus they probobly would get sued by Hollywood, Blockbuster, gamestop, EB, and such. This could be handy for games like Grand Theft Auto, it would make it so little kids couldn't rent them, borror them etc which would stop parents from bi*c*ing about game violence.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's Beer!! Hooray Beer!!![/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    Maybe when we see something official reported about this -- or even linked to a page that I can read, that actually says something about this "new disk technology" -- then we should get excited or angry.
    I agree with you PF. At the moment I can't officially say Sony will or will not use this new technology on the PS3, just that they have patented it, hence the "may shoot themselves" in the title of the thread. We will just have to wait and see if and when something more official is reported at a reliable video game site before we all get officially peeved at this information.

The only thing I will say about it is that if Sony does decide to use it on the PS3, no matter how good their intentions to stop piracy were, I think that they will undoubtfully alienate a large number of their general gaming fan base.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Malakite
    The only thing I will say about it is that if Sony does decide to use it on the PS3, no matter how good their intentions to stop piracy were, I think that they will undoubtfully alienate a large number of their general gaming fan base.
    Yeah, for sure... it's almost hard to imagine. I'd really be shocked to see this one turn out to be true.

Heaven forbid it does pan out though, and then other companies follow with similar plans... that'd be grim.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    or even linked to a page that I can read,
    I love Babel Fish . The link is for the translated and orginal. The below attached pics is what I found really funny. Talk about lost in translation. The first is the original, the second is the translation

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5740/transpic0xu.jpg

I really do not think they will do something like this though, it would make no sense as a comapnay other then to stop the pirated games . I would hope Sony has better sense then this. One of the best things they did with the PS2 was to be able to play PS1 games, I can't see them going through with something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spoon
    This could be handy for games like Grand Theft Auto, it would make it so little kids couldn't rent them, borror them etc which would stop parents from bi*c*ing about game violence.
    Hey Spoon how about this . .. how about Parents stop their complaining, and be . . oh, I don't know . . PARENTS and don't buy/rent or allow their kids to buy/rent those types of games. Since when did the responsibility of raising a child shift from the parents to society??? Allowing a company to do something like this so "Kids cannot play them and parents stop yelling about violence in games" is not the reason to do something. If I came home with a game like GTA when I was younger my dad would have whooped my butt, make me take the game back, give him the money for it, whoop my butt again, and ground me for at least 2 months. Today, the parents blame the game industry for producing a game that damaged their sheltered childs life. Stop shifting the blame and do your darn job as parents! I never had the "fear of God" put into me, I had the "Fear of my father" put into me. Made me think twice before I did something stupid . . .

Anywho, I jump ship. Bottom line, its a good concept, bad idea, and I doubt they will go through with it . . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JapOriginal.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	12842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Japtrans.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	12843  
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Oh man. That's still completely confusing... I'll try it when I have my glasses on later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dar' Argol
    how about Parents stop their complaining, and be . . oh, I don't know . . PARENTS and don't buy/rent or allow their kids to buy/rent those types of games.
    Yeah, I know this is off topic, but... AMEN!

I own a bunch of games, a few of the GTA games included, that I would never let my son near. He has no problem with the idea and knows to stay away from "mature" games. It's not an issue. If it ever becomes an issue... then, like a good parent, I'll parent.