Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Clone Scalping is out of control

Jedi Temple Assault multipacks are going for upwards of $40.00 on Ebay, and those are the only decent 501st clones we're going to get.

I honestly would love to get into a Hasbro board meeting just once and find out what the hell they are thinking. Why don't they mass-mass-mass produce army variants like the clones to the point where scalping isn't even economical?

Don't they know we are going to purchase Shock Troopers and 501st Legion clones ad nauseum?

While I do hate the scalpers, I find myself hating Hasblow even more. How long does it take for them to figure this stuff out?
    "The concept of infinity can only be grasped by contemplating the depths of human stupidity." - Voltaire

Clone scalping, especially clones have always been a pain in the hind quarters. People love to collect them, scalpers lurk on all boards to see what people will pay for. When they read the words "Clone Exclusive" they wet themselves. They lurk in all stores until they find them and buy them all up. It is a curse and a blessing to have so many SW collectors sites to get info out there, because as we all know, this is what happens when the plans fall into the wrong hands.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Boy the 'history nerd' in me was thinking something much different when I first saw the word "scalping."

I feel ya. I've gotten lucky and found what clones I needed. I found the remaining 7 or so I needed out of the final 12. Picked up two of the 501st because I wanted to make a Commander Appo. The other is staying in the package. As for the Shocktroops. I found them once and picked up two since I had already made two custom ones. I just wanted 4 since the main scene with them, they were only 4. Those Coruscant Attack boxed sets weren't hard for me to find though. The single clones have always been difficult though. If you're not at the store near the time they put out stuff, they're gone sadly. Scalpers are a pain. I miss times when it wasn't hard to find Star Wars figures. These days you have to check stores very often just to find anything new. It's annoying and sad. Anyway, good luck hunting!!!

It makes it even worse that the 501st clone is hitting stores only now, during the holiday shopping season. That means even more people to compete with for figs, including parents who might otherwise pass by it. I was extremely lucky to get the Jedi Temple Assault pack, as I've never seen it again since the day I found 2 in K-Mart (only bought one). Ditto for the Shocktrooper. And don't even get me started on the situation with the Utapau Clone next year.

Even worse, the #41 Clone is STILL shipping en masse, and has become the most surprising pegwarmer of them all - I'm seeing more of these guys out there than even the Neimoidian Warrior!!! Replace these guys in the cases with more Shocktroopers and Tactical Ops Troopers, and maybe they'd flood the market enough to curb some of the scalping.

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac

Even worse, the #41 Clone is STILL shipping en masse, and has become the most surprising pegwarmer of them all - I'm seeing more of these guys out there than even the Neimoidian Warrior!!!

Isnt that the truth. I was telling El Chuxter that there are about 30 of the #41 clone on the pegs at Target here. The only good thing is when you need a fix for SW, a clone is always a good pick up when you cant find anything else.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Clones are always going to popular just like stormtroopers since many people like to army build and many scalpers know that exclusives are always going to sell for more then they are worth.

The problem actually lies both with Hasbro and the retailers of the exclusives. Since they retail stores stand to lose money if the product doesn't sell, they buy less and less to cover their eventually loses and overstocks, (Walmart with dozens of Collection 1 boxes).
    The second part lies with Hasbro who still continues to make exclusives that fans want but feel that will never sell. The classic problem that Hasbro doesn't listen.
    As far as the temple set with K-Mart, the problem there lies with the staff not giving a crap and returning the opened merchandise that theives buy and do the classic swap out of figures.
    Also the clones in that pack are the #6, I actually prefer the carded 501st over the number 6.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The only problems with the Tactical Ops Trooper over the multipack 501st trooper:

1) Dirty feet
    2) Helmet does not come all the way (at least in all the pics I have seen) such that you can see the clone's chin a la the Evolutions Ep III clone trooper)

Yes, the multipack 501st does have the "skinny hips" problem that clone #6 does, but the armor is white other than the coloration and you don't have the chin problem...
    "The concept of infinity can only be grasped by contemplating the depths of human stupidity." - Voltaire

Turn the clone head backwards and then put the helmet on. No chin. That's what I did with the evolutions ones. It works unless it bothers you to nkow that under the helmet the head is turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by spang2005
    Turn the clone head backwards and then put the helmet on. No chin. That's what I did with the evolutions ones. It works unless it bothers you to nkow that under the helmet the head is turned around.
    yes, you can do that but the problem is that it causes a bulge in the back of the helmet.