Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars: We got 10 extra years of our childhood back

A lot of us are around the threshold of our 30's now.

In 1977 (1978 when the first toys were released) we'd just become "children," having graduated from "toddler state."

Star Wars became a huge influence upon us like no other generation has experienced. It lasted about 8 years.

In 1995, almost 10 years after the first "death" of Star Wars, most of us were about 18 years old and it started again.

We got another chance to regress back to our childhood and have been doing so for another DECADE!

Today we have figures we only dreamt of getting 20 years ago - like Herme Odel (rumored as on-the-way) and Ephant Mon (Hasbro's master-achievement), plus we have variant Imperial Officers (with Jerjerrod and Veers coming up) and Rebel Troopers from '97's to the latest Yavin Base Security. Plus we have 3 new movies to draw upon as sources for more (though man was Episode 3 milked dry! - save for possible Padmes and a few more Clones).

Star Wars hunting is continuing, though its form looks to be changing:

-online exclusives like the Lucas Collection
    -Sideshow taking over 12" at a 125% price increase.
    -Master Replicas, Gentle Giant, and Code3 offering cool stuff we hadn't even hoped for

Some of us will be taking a step back. 10 extra years as a child was a great ride!

I'll still be there to pick up Veers, Herme Odel, and a lot of the SSG's Top 50 List from Hasbro. There's some forthcoming stuff from Master Replicas that I'm buying (or hoping for), and Darth Tater / Spudtroops / Galactic Heroes / Jedi Force, Force Battlers etc. proved hard to resist.

I'm not endorsing the size change with Unleashed from my wallet.

I never got into Attacktix as I don't want to invest the time to learn a new game - I'm not even a video gamer.

I'll get Sideshow 12" occasionally - like a Bespin Leia that I don't have a Hasbro version of.

But I can safely say I can "grow up" now and save some room as well as cherry-pick my way through the continuation for this hobby.

I wonder what it will be like when the TV shows start up? I already plan to watch. Will there be stuff to collect and will I have desire to do so?

I don't care that much anymore. I like sleeping in (not waiting outside before Wal-Mart opens, etc.) and having the opportunity to invest and play in other areas of my life.

It's been a great ride.

I echo your sentiments, Tycho. It has been a great ride these last 10 years but it has taken it's toll financially. The market is so over-saturated now that it is impossible to have everything. Hard to believe after the "Great Drought" from 1985-1995 where there was practically no merchandise to be found save for the random Garage Sales and Antique Shops.

It will be interesting to see where all of this goes from here. Hasbro's 2006 lineup is a mixed bag. Mostly repacks, repaints and resculpts. I'll pick up a few key figs but I can finally "get over" my completism sickness and start "growing up" in other areas of my life. I think I have gotten my fill of Star Wars to last me the rest of my life. Thanks, George. It's been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave
    I echo your sentiments, Tycho. It has been a great ride these last 10 years but it has taken it's toll financially. The market is so over-saturated now that it is impossible to have everything. Hard to believe after the "Great Drought" from 1985-1995 where there was practically no merchandise to be found save for the random Garage Sales and Antique Shops.

It will be interesting to see where all of this goes from here. Hasbro's 2006 lineup is a mixed bag. Mostly repacks, repaints and resculpts. I'll pick up a few key figs but I can finally "get over" my completism sickness and start "growing up" in other areas of my life. I think I have gotten my fill of Star Wars to last me the rest of my life. Thanks, George. It's been fun.
    Talk about being over-saturated, I have seen an inflatable Jedi starship bed, tents, a bathroom basketball set, and so many other SW related merchandise, that it is impossible for most collectors to get "everything". Like Tycho, I have chosen to be a little more selective, maybe not for the same reasons, mine are more tied to my finances, and also trying to build a more "mature" collection. Today I made my last payment on my $200 Darth Vader scupture from GG. I am seriously considering not buying anymore of the next series of 3 3/4 inch collection, though it may be a tough task as my morning routine involves walking through the toy department in my Wal-Mart to see what new goodies came in on the previous nights truck. I have spent enough on SW related mecrchandise that I could have made a really nice down payment on a house. I don't know that I will ever bring myself to a point where I can comforatably separate myself from my toys that I have collected to this point, but in time that too could change.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

When I look at all of the storage totes and boxes stacked to the ceiling in my attic and all of the boxes and figures lying around the house, I find myself feeling like Mark Hamill in that episode of Amazing Stories where he's living out of his car for the sake of his collectibles!

Somewhat ironic, Tycho. Alot of people got 10 more years to their childhood, instead I got a sendoff to my childhood with Episode 3 as I turned 18 a few months before it came out.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

i have to agree with you all. to make the sickness/ addiction worse... i order hundreds of dollars of plastic starcases. only to pack them back into boxes. i need to get way more selective next year. problem beeing i search for a figure so long and hard, when i see it i buy an extra or 2 for future trades. then case them too. time to move forward

I am also planning on cutting down, no more buying Vaders, Anakins, Obi-wans and such. There are way too many already. Cutting down is a must. I will still be collecting, just a bit more choosy this time round.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I have to admit something: I was in Wal-Mart this evening for non-Star Wars purchases and I bought a lamp - it's Darth Vader's head. Sad but true. They make Batman, Spider-Man, The Little Mermaid, Snow White, whatever. But there was only 1 Vader left. Dude, I'm such a sucker. It's a lamp - and I did need more lighting in my new place. But seriously - I couldn't resist? And I actually thought how cute it would be for there to be a Darth TATER lamp companion piece? I still have a problem.

Anyway, I recommend the Vader lamp. It's pretty cool. Heh-heh-heh. Sucker.

I started moving on to other Star Wars collectibles. Have a Sideshow Vader on pre-order. Have all the animated Clone Wars Maquettes, except for Padme of course. Have every Unleashed (I am boycotting the new Unleashed) I really like the looks of the Kotobukiya clones etc. so I will probably buy one and see how it looks. I think as we get older our tastes for Star Wars is getting more discriminating and we want more detail. Sure I have all the newest ROTC 3.75 figures, ships, etc. but even those are better sculpts than alot of the stuff we bought in earlier days. I will not buy the Galactic Heroes, Attactix, Darth Taters etc. I will continue to buy at least one of every Saga 2006 3.75. At least 2 of new sculpts for my loose collection (can't wait to see General Veers) From the looks of it Hasbro is realizing after the Hype is gone, all they have is us collectors. That of course could change when the TV shows start.

This is kind of odd because I'm headed a bit in the opposite direction I've amped up my collecting as of late, and am planning a huge 2006. That said, I've traditionally skipped a lot of stuff that many collectors snatch up I collect only selective 12 inch figures, vehicles other stuff, etc. Basically, I've stuck to the 3 3/4 inch figures, and have discriminated heavily. Recently though, I decided to fill in all of the holes in my basic figure collection (and believe me, there are many), and plan on owning every figure made, including carded vintage stuff.
    I'm really only collecting the figures, though, so my POV on increased collecting is probably significantly different from many people's. In short, I'm sure that what I consider "more collecting" would be average or less than other people's definitions.
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent