Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Star Trek: The Next Generation

I've started re-watching my TNG collection with season 1.

I'm really enjoying it and I know the show gets a lot better later on.

Q was great and the Farpoint Mission intro was a good pilot episode. The characters were really well thought-out.

The Ferengi were interesting from the get-go. They became more so on DS9, but TNG had a nice intro to their culture.

The holodeck was an ingenious addition to a Trek show that made 3 series capable of telling stories they never could have done without time travel or some other improbable mishap. I'm looking forward to future holodeck episodes as I watch on.

Lore was great. The legacy of Data is so much more interesting now that we've come full circle with even the Remans having access to B-4 (ST: Nemesis).

I'm waiting for Worf to start developing as I haven't gotten to "Heart of Glory" yet, but the Klingon stuff always gets interesting - as does the Romulan issues which come full circle through TNG, DS9, and the movies through Nemesis (the furthest in the future Trek has dared to go).

For many years I was sick of TNG (I did like the other shows better) but I have come full circle and am enjoying them now.

I loved all of the Next Generation, Voyager, Ds9 even Enterprise which I thought was the best of the series shows. I remember watching the Farpoint premier episode and thinking that the effects were pretty good for TV, but not as good as the movies or any of the Star Wars movies. The Jellyfish in space thing was kinda cheesy. Still we have to remember this was the beginnings of CGI. Definitely cutting edge at the time. You can see how much the technique improved over the years right up to Enterprise. I remember someone saying they never watched Enterprise because they didn't like the opening song!!!? What the!!! To bad it was cancelled. Wonder why? It was just getting better each season. Nothing good has taken it's place except maybe Battlestar Galactica. "Come Back Star Trek"

I really like Data and Geordi solving mysteries (real life ones) in episodes like "Home Soil." They are a pair of two of the smartest Star Trek characters to ever be a team.

You know, ILM did the effects for "Encounter at Farpoint", but not the rest of the series.

TNG was always closest to my heart, it was really big to me during my entire teenage years - it ran from when I was 12 till 19, that's a big zone to impact. The show was a little cheesy which is part of what made it Star Trek, and the more I look at the Worf storylines the weaker they get, but the show itself was really something special. I was thinking about this last night, a portion of TNG was recycled concept from the Star Trek II tv show that got turned into ST:TMP - a lot of the earliest concepts of TNG's show were in there, and even some of the main characters, TMP had the executive officer replacing Spock being Will Decker, TNG had executive officer Will Ricker; TMP had an empath alien, TNG had an empath half-alien; TMP's empath was Ilia, TNG's empath was Troi, and Ilia could have been borrowed from the Iliad (or more specifically Ilium, the language's name for the city of Troy); and TMP had Decker and Ilia having a love affair which ended before they met again uncomfortably on the Enterprise, while TNG had the same exact thing with Ricker and Troi.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Interesting parallels JediTricks. Things I did not know but now seem logical choices. Didn't ILM do all the effects on all the movies also? I know they did on the first few. I will have to look at the credits again. I have the 9 inch Target Geordie and Data as Sherlock and Watson Tycho. Always liked the episodes where they teamed up. Even in Generations when Data got his Emo chip. "Lifeforms lifeforms you tiny little lifeforms" then he started to crack and his face got all wierd. Data has always been my favorite character. Now he is dead only to come back as B4. I wonder if and how that will play out. People said I looked like Brent Spiner as he appeared in Independence Day only not with the goofy pants (that's when I was in a Rock band with really long hair)

ILM did the effects for 2 -4, and 6-8, but not 1, 5, 9, or 10.

That digital effect they did on Data's face when he went nutty in Generations was way creepy. Killing Data off in Nemesis really made me angry because it seemed so arbitrary, and this B4 stuff didn't cut it at all.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm not finding Wesley Crusher all that annoying from an adult's perspective.

As a kid, I groaned every time he saved the ship because he seemed like the precocious kid in everybody's grade school class who always had the right answer. Now it seems like an unexplored element of Trek: age. We've seen what potential women, minorities, aliens, androids, etc. have on Trek. Why not young humans? The kids involved in the various modern shows all were very different from each other as well. Jake Sisko didn't emulate Wesley Crusher at all and I was thankful for it. But Wesley really wasn't all that bad. A child prodigy in that environment was sort of interesting.

I think Wesley was a little too precocious and cutesy in the first season, then a little too angsty and preppie in the second season, and after that he settled in ok but had a little too much to do until he left.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I think Wesley was a little too precocious and cutesy in the first season, then a little too angsty and preppie in the second season, and after that he settled in ok but had a little too much to do until he left.
    Yeah he was. What I want to know is why they put him in those zip up the back pants with no pockets! What was up with that?!!! Must have been an 80's thing? Glad they finally put him in a uniform.

Have you guys watched the special features on those DVD sets. I find it funny to hear Whil WHeaton say he was "so totally STOKED, to have Mick Fleetwood on the set." Because his parents were huge Fleetwood Mac fans. . I like how in the pilot and earlier subsequent eps, they really hadn't set Data's charachter just so solid yet. He is suppose to be totally "emotionless" but the first words out of his mouth are laced with emotion of surprise and envy. I was one of those TNG fans that started buying the Columbia house tapes at $25.14 a pop, 2 of them in a month in September of 1999. Then when the 1st season came out on DVD, I was at a point in the collection that I had $700 more to go in tapes. So, I figured at about $100 a season on DVD, I might as well go that route now. Now you can't even give those tapes away it seems. I do have the whole ST:TOS on tape though from Columbia house.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!