Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Building the Death Star

Seriously, how long does it take to build it? At the end of ROTS we see it in construction, then we see it complete in ANH. Everybody in ANH had no clue what it was. Why? Was it just completed? Does it take 20 years to build? Were they building a DS2 while at the same time they built the first one? Was Palpy going ot have a fleet of these?
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 12-05-2005 at 06:35 PM.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

It has been awhile, but I believe this was addressed, at least a little, in the Zahn novels. If I remember correctly, they were built in secret in the Maw instalation and the thinking of Thrawn and Tarkin was to have a backup built. Not sure, but it sounds vaguely familiar.

I always thought they were built at the same time or maybe staggered times to learn from the first. I may have taken 20 years to build (hell its 100km around).

I recall reading that the first DS was built around the planet Despayre and when completed they tested the laser on the planet. Nice, huh?
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

The Maw Installation is actually from the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J Anderson. It was intended to be a prototype model, but recent EU has stated it was a test platform for the weapons, built at the same time.

There's a novel scheduled for either 2006 or 2007 that's supposed to explain why it took 20 years. But what we know as of now:

Raith Seinar came up with the idea, but gave it to Tarkin.

Tarkin presented the idea to Palpatine (most likely as Darth Sidious).

Sidious had Dooku take the concept to the Geonosians for design.

At some point, Bevel Lemelisk became the chief designer.

The station was built in orbit around the planet D'spayre.

Construction was proceeding too slowly, so Vader and Tarkin used the excuse of Jedi survivors on Kashyyyk to enslave most of the Wookiees.

At some point, Admiral Daala was put in charge of the Maw Installation, where the weapons systems were fine-tuned. Qui Xux and other civilian scientists were brought on board.

The Death Star was completed, and destroyed D'spayre as a final weapons test.

Two sets of plans (which needed to be combined to reveal a weakness) were captured by the mercenary Kyle Katarn and a Rebel cell led by Bria Tharen. It's unclear which set was transmitted to the Tantive IV, but it's believed to be Tharen's set.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wow, I guess I'll trail off in D'spayre.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Also, in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina the Tonnika Sisters stole a piece of the superlaser and gave it to the Rebels who got an inkling that the Empire was making a super weapon.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

The New Chronology talks about this, but I don't remember exactly what is said. I think it has a lot to do with learning from the first time on how to do it, which is why the DSII takes less time. But the one in ROTS is THE Death Star, not a prototype.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I was thinking that the scene with Vader, Palp, and Tarkin may have been sometime after the Twins were split up, though that scene is shown before they are delivered. I read somewhere in SW Insider about how much time is supposed to elapse during the real time of each movie (1 day, 2 weeks, etc.). It was alluded that the ending section of each movie (except for ROTJ) may have occured a long time after the main portion of each movie is finished. Maybe it happened years after the birth of the twins.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    I was thinking that the scene with Vader, Palp, and Tarkin may have been sometime after the Twins were split up, though that scene is shown before they are delivered. I read somewhere in SW Insider about how much time is supposed to elapse during the real time of each movie (1 day, 2 weeks, etc.). It was alluded that the ending section of each movie (except for ROTJ) may have occured a long time after the main portion of each movie is finished. Maybe it happened years after the birth of the twins.
    I don't think it was that long, the kids were rather small still. Although it could have been a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    Also, in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina the Tonnika Sisters stole a piece of the superlaser and gave it to the Rebels who got an inkling that the Empire was making a super weapon.
    How dumb. What next? IG88 was built into the second Death Star?
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.