Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How would you freshen up the next Star Trek series ?

Here's my take

THE ERA - My personal preferance would be the era between the 23rd century seen in the original films and the early 24 th we heard about in TNG they have always struck me as the most interesting and dramatic era's. You got the feeling that the galaxy was still a mysterious and dangerous place back then not the anodyne sterile place it became in TNG , not that I'm slagging TNG off it was a great show you just felt though that this crew had seen it all before and had catagorised and filed it under been there done that. The late 23 rd/early 24 th century on the other hand was an era that saw old alliance's crumble(the Romulans & Klingons) and the emergence of new ones in the form of a tenuous alliance between the federation and their most implacable foes the Klingons. An alliance that would be tested by Romulan treachery and come through strengthened by the Noble sacrifice of Captain Garret and the crew of the Enterprise -1701 -c early in the 24 th century. A era rich in potential for furture exploration surely. That said I think their unlikely to go in the prequel direction again after ENT which is a shame as there is more potential in exploring Star treks gritty and rich past then it's annodyne future( which save destroying the federation in the next series will only get more utopia like and boring the further they push into the future).

THE CREW - First things first whatever ship they set it on there has to be more aliens in the crew and on the bridge( an Andorian maybe they are founder members after all) as it seems most of the time to be a humans only club. If anything the further into the future they take the next show the more aliens we should see in starfleet uniforms, if as is my humble wish they dare go the prequel route again I think they should set it on the Enterprise C who's ultimate fate though tragic would make a grand standing finish to any series.

THE FORMAT - Twenty six episodes a series is one hell of a punishing schedule why not go the hbo route and do 12 great episodes with an increased budget for each instead, or failing that take a six month Hiatus after the first ten episodes to fasion the next 10 ala RDM's BSG. We'd be more then willing to wait if the qualities good.

THE MUSIC - Too long have we trekkies had to put up with elevator music on our shows which enhanced the onscreen action not one jot. Its high time a proper composer was brought in fulltime and not just to score the opening credits. If the powers that be saw fit to change the format as I've elaborated on above a prospective composer might have enough time with the material (ie the episode Script or dailies from the ep shoot) to craft a moving and gripping score not just for sweeps episodes but for every episode, how great would that be.

I'd like to see the adventures of Captain Christopher Pike, Number 1 and Young Spock aboard the Starship Enterprise, complete with retro costumes.

Of course, casting is going to be tough. You just can't cast some WB pretty boy in the role of Pike. He has to be handsome yet manly like Jeffrey Hunter and as for Spock, well, he'd have to be a dead ringer for young Nimoy.

I also always wanted to see the "Lost Years" the original 70's series that evolved into Star Trek: The Motion Picture. They apparently wrote half a season (13 episodes) which were published in a spectacular book. If they kept the original production designs and costumes and did an awesome CGI Enterprise-A that would kick butt! Again, casting would be tough. You could never re-cast the Shat. No man on earth could compare to the Shat. Still, it would be interesting to see the voyages that never were.

I personally don't think a Star Trek show is marketable right now no matter what is done, but I would enjoy an anthology show. Different Star Trek stories. One episode about an all Vulcan ship. One episode about Star Fleet academy. It could jump around different eras to show different interesting events in Trek history. I know the cost each week of the production starting from scratch would be prohibitive so that it would never happen, but I think it would be interesting.

I think that to really appeal to Trek fans they need to break the mold of a Federation ship, a mostly human crew, running around each week doing stories that have been done before.

But if there were no main characters (probably human) people wouldn't latch on to the show. There's a chance they would have to appeal to kids by making it hip in a way that would drive Trek fans up the wall.

I'd make it a musical.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I think it would be best to let things just sit and collect a bit of dust. In some form it was on tv from what 89 - last year? Take a bit of a break to gather yourself, then we you do come back make sure you have a solid idea and solid casting like there was in TNG. I'm not really sure what they could do though, they've done the 'Enterprise in the future thing' the 'stationary thing' the 'thrown a jillion miles away from where they are supposed to be thing' and the 'early Enterprise thing.'

Maybe they could do something at the academy which follows Zack, Kelly, AC, Jessie, Lisa and Screech as they make their way though school.

Starfleet Academy is too Smallville-ish. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of bratty kids trying to play adults. Trek needs to get back to its sci-fi roots: Exploration of the Unknown. It's a really BIG universe out there with infinite possibilities. Trek could go on forever... if it is done with some dignity. I think the reason why the Trek series went stale was for two reasons: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Fire them and get some fresh creative talent in there for God's sake!

The adventures of Wesley Crusher...

Good thread. I'll have to give it some thought for a proper response. Gee... it's been a long time. You haven't felt my presence since...

Hey El Chuxter, long time no read. You're a Senator now I see... I've got a couple of traffic tickets that, you know, if you have the time.

*psst* who are these other people?
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

I really don't think they should have cancelled Enterprise in the first place. It was getting better every season. Especially the near last episodes of the alternate evil Empire Enterprise. It was killer. I personally think it was cancelled for other reasons. The characters were totally cool. The show was better than any Sci-Fi series running at the time or even now. Though Battlestar Gallactica is totally cool (can't wait till January) Us Sci-Fi buffs are starving for good interesting shows. They should have put it on another night, changed the song, showed more of that female Vulcan skin, but they never should have cancelled it!!!!!!!

I think another Trek series would be best taking place just after Star Trek 6, there's no famous crew, the feel is more military-based exploration like the original series and movies (TNG kinda moved away from the Horatio Hornblower thing), there's the FIRST alliance between the Federation and the Klingons (you know, the alliance that eventually cooled into just a truce) and the Klingons are still desparate, would make for Klingon pirates (c'mon, that'd be SUPER cool!), the Romulans would be all but disappeared (TNG confirmed they pulled back behind their borders and disappeared around this time), no Ferengi yet, no Q or Borg, the Enterprise-B has nearly no stories about it and it's not like we HAVE to use the Enterprise, it could just be a supporting player, maybe there could be several casts of ships, a Starfleet theme with repeating settings and ships (stations, the academy, freighters...)

That said I think their unlikely to go in the prequel direction again after ENT which is a shame as there is more potential in exploring Star treks gritty and rich past then it's annodyne future( which save destroying the federation in the next series will only get more utopia like and boring the further they push into the future).
    Actually, Berman is planning a post-Enterprise but way pre-TOS prequel movie because he's a hack.

First things first whatever ship they set it on there has to be more aliens in the crew and on the bridge( an Andorian maybe they are founder members after all) as it seems most of the time to be a humans only club.
    Don't overdo it though, that's one of the things I didn't like about the SW prequels, Lucas went overboard with the damn crazy aliens everywhere, there was only 1 human on the Jedi Council for corn's sake. ST:TMP dealt with this best, a few more aliens but nothing too jarring, not like DS9 and Voyager where they flashed forward a few times to show Ferengi and Cardassians and all sorts of aliens we knew on Starfleet ships.

Twenty six episodes a series is one hell of a punishing schedule why not go the hbo route and do 12 great episodes with an increased budget for each instead, or failing that take a six month Hiatus after the first ten episodes to fasion the next 10 ala RDM's BSG. We'd be more then willing to wait if the qualities good.
    No way, if it airs on network or syndication it's gotta be 22 to 26 eps, regular TV doesn't allow for anything else. That's only half a year of eps as it is, they just need to use their money better this time. Plus, doing only like 7 eps and then taking a long break and then another 6 eps like a few cable series do lets the audience cool too much, they lose interest too easily.

Too long have we trekkies had to put up with elevator music on our shows which enhanced the onscreen action not one jot. Its high time a proper composer was brought in fulltime and not just to score the opening credits. If the powers that be saw fit to change the format as I've elaborated on above a prospective composer might have enough time with the material (ie the episode Script or dailies from the ep shoot) to craft a moving and gripping score not just for sweeps episodes but for every episode, how great would that be.
    IMO, the style of music from TNG on was trying too hard to be like the movies, that works for the movies but I think to be really different they have to go back to the smaller music of TOS, no orchestral sweetening, just a few raw pieces to pick up the emotion and the rest of the time the show itself will do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid
    I would enjoy an anthology show. Different Star Trek stories. One episode about an all Vulcan ship. One episode about Star Fleet academy. It could jump around different eras to show different interesting events in Trek history.
    I wouldn't like to jump eras, that'd be too confusing for audiences and create niches where fans of certain eras would only watch their episodes which might come only twice a season, that's no way to build ratings. Also, jumping to other species I don't think would be a good idea, we need an instant audience-familiarity with the crews in an anthology like what you are suggesting (I suggested a non-era-jumping idea in my earlier paragraph too).

I know the cost each week of the production starting from scratch would be prohibitive so that it would never happen, but I think it would be interesting.
    Lucas could do it the way he did Eps 2 and 3, everything greenscreen, but I don't think it'd make a compelling series as the actors wouldn't get to stretch their imaginations with actual sets and props which I think is vital to the process.

But if there were no main characters (probably human) people wouldn't latch on to the show.
    My idea above deals with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJam
    I think it would be best to let things just sit and collect a bit of dust. In some form it was on tv from what 89 - last year?
    '87 till last year, but keep in mind that before TNG there was the short-lived cartoon, massive reruns, and then movies to fill the interest whereas we seem to be entering a movie-free period and Spike reruns are not fun because they overdo it and it's Spike.

I'm not really sure what they could do though, they've done the 'Enterprise in the future thing' the 'stationary thing' the 'thrown a jillion miles away from where they are supposed to be thing' and the 'early Enterprise thing.'
    Go back to their real roots, not prequelitis like Enterprise but continue the tradition of TOS, that's how the Phase II show was going to be before it became the first movie, and Phase II was morphed into TNG 10 years later (TNG was more sciencey but basically Phase II with a new cast), thanks to Nick Meyers we have a more military horatio hornblower-style Trek to work with if we go back to the movies' era.

Maybe they could do something at the academy which follows Zack, Kelly, AC, Jessie, Lisa and Screech as they make their way though school.
    Friggin' Rick Berman really wanted to do something like that! It very nearly happened.

Quote Originally Posted by 12" Lando
    The adventures of Wesley Crusher...
    You jest, but Wesley did end up travelling through multiple dimensions that man was not expected to see for a millennia AND he returned in time to be at the head table at Troi & Riker's wedding. BTW, welcome back!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's interesting that a number of people have mentioned an anthology idea. After Voyager and before Enterprise, I had said I wanted to see an anthology. I figured it would be cool if the story took place more or less right at the end of Voyager and followed three or four ships on a handshaking mission into Dominion Space. The basic message would be that after fighting a terrible war with these guys, there were hoping to bury the hatchet.

Episodes would randomly go back and forth between the ships, and while some episodes wouldn't even mention any of the other ships, other episodes could bring in another of the group. Finales and sweeps periods could bring them all together to pull missions off in dramatic fashion in which each ship contributes.

I figured the bridge sets could be modular so they could easily convert the set to be the other ships' bridges, and I figured there could be only two or so series regulars on each ship with a handful of semi-regulars.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06