Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Let's face it people are in love with the image of these so called musicians not how well they play their instruments or sing or both. This all started with MTV. When someone who really knows their music puts out a good CD we are blown away because it's such a rare thing now. You have to search real hard to find such music. Meanwhile the mainstream music industry keeps cranking out the same bland stuff and are in charge of the monopolized airwaves. In my town the same company (Clear Channel) owns 80% of the radio stations. I remember when FM used to be a place you could hear a whole album side with no commercials. It was sort of an underground scene. Now it's mainstream and they promote the same crud the music industry thinks we want to hear.

The music industry sucks! I know I haven't downloaded a whole lot myself since WinMX shut down.

I agree with the sentiment that sales are poor due to crappy music also. Like some of the others here I have downloaded albums (sometimes before they're available in the states, sometimes because I can't find a radio station that's playing it, and sometimes because I can't find a store that carries it) and then gone on to buy the actual album when I a. know I like the disc, or b. it becomes available.

My biggest gripe, besides price, is the lack of promotion of the kind of music I want to hear. Personally I'm sick to death of Lindsay Lohan, and Jessica & Ashley. I want to hear new material from older artists that I like when it comes out. And I like to hear new material from new artists in the same vain. It's out there but it gets ignored by MTV and radio. I guess if I was into hip hop I'd be pretty happy, but I can't even find a lowsy single from my favorite artist when it's released!

All I know is, if the records want my money they better pay more attention to me as a demographic!
    Wanted; loose or sealed
    Blue Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter (Not Anakin's), TRU Y-Wing, TRU Gold Leader X-Wing

There is new material from "older" artists, but with a few exceptions (U2), it gets swept under the rug. I've found several times that bands or performers I love have a new album. . . two months after it's released!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    There was a study done some time ago that proved that so-called "illegal downloading", actually helped improve CD sales. And also concluded in that fact, that people who downloaded free music of an album would not have bought the CD anyway.
    It makes perfect sense. You download a track or two and find something you don't know but like, and you didn't have to pay for it. It's the role radio used to serve before Clearchannel completely took over and there's no chance of actually hearing new, interesting stuff.

They should've embraced digital delivery six or seven years ago. I'm a CD junkie, probably always will be, and I think that. If nothing else, this material that's not cost effective to produce anymore could still make money.

Example in point: I've always loved an old album by T-Rex called The Slider. My tape recently wore out, and I'm finding that (though it was remastered less than six years ago), it's out of print. Supposedly it's a collector's item now. I'm not willing to pay several times retail for a used copy. So I don't have the album anymore. I, the fan, lose. Eventually someone with more money to throw around will buy the copy I didn't, and the scalper will make a killing, none of which will go to the record company or (in this case, the estate of) the artist, so they both lose, too!

I know it costs an awful lot to actually publish a CD and keep it available. But, hello? Is it just me, or would it be totally logical to put that album online for legal download, maybe at $8 for the entire album, and offer the artwork as a PDF? The space to store it would cost them, what, a one-time cost of maybe a penny or two?

Instead, they'd rather keep it unavailable and slap copy-protection on new CDs that will completely screw up my PC if I ever try to play the original on a PC. . . but is useless against a Mac. (Every CD I've purchased with such copy-protection I've transferred to an unprotected CD using a Mac at work. So they've actually encouraged me to copy CDs I normally wouldn't have copied by putting the copy protection on them!!)

Stupid. Really stupid.
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 12-17-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta Beast
    The music industry sucks! I know I haven't downloaded a whole lot myself since WinMX shut down.
    *cough*trythislink*cough*
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Thanks Slicker. That was just what I my criminal mind was seeking when I started reading this thread.

Meanwhile, does anyone like "Saliva?" That band rocks! I like real hard rock or metal, not this whimpy crap most of you listen to - but bands with serious anger management issues I can relate to!

Music labels can die for all I care.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...music+industry

Companies don't like shrinking profits, but any industry that has a product that can be digitized is in serious trouble. Many companies have crashed upon the shoals of the internet. Look at what happened to Polaroid after the internet.

The market has changed. Live in it or die. but please don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you, record labels, because Karma is a real Bizzy!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    I'll second that. The last CD I bought was Hefty Fine in September (I think it was September) and the last one before that was whenever Toxicity came out by SoaD. I frequently download from a ing site and I never think twice about it. If they'd actually put music instead of little skits on the CD's then maybe I'd buy em'. Take Hefty Fine by the Bloodhound Gang. It's 12 tracks long and I think 3 or 4 of them are just 10 second long skits.
    That's another thing - even the bands that I like (and would buy their albums without thinking twice about it) are releasing garbage.
    The new Bloodhound Gang - crap.
    The new Foo Fighters - crap.
    The new Weezer - crap.

I'm getting nervous about the next Velvet Revolver...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Thanks for telling me the new Foo sucks. . . after I ordered it and got the shipping confirmation. I passed on it when it came out until I heard the track with Norah Jones. Man, if Dave Grohl had a baby with Norah Jones, that kid would rule the world.

However, this is another to take to work and copy on the Mac.

Speaking of which, Sony BMG has issued a recall for the CDs with XCP technology, since it royally screws up your PC. Costco has gone a step beyond that and given me a coupon for a free replacement for the Neil Diamond 12 Songs* I got a month ago. . . without requiring a return of the other copy.

*--Dude, it's produced by Rick Rubin. I'd buy a CD of Ashlee Simpson making armpit farts if Rubin produced it. And, yes, it kicks as much arse as I'd expect any Rubin-produced CD to kick. And besides, the dude freakin' wrote "I'm a Believer." He just needed a figurative kick in the crotch to remind him there was more to life than having old ladies throw their underwear at you.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter

It makes perfect sense. You download a track or two and find something you don't know but like, and you didn't have to pay for it.
    Yes, and it may encourage you to actually like the new group alot to the point where you would like to actually OWN the CDs. And go see them in concert. Stupid record companies.

Example in point: I've always loved an old album by T-Rex called The Slider. My tape recently wore out, and I'm finding that (though it was remastered less than six years ago), it's out of print.
    Here you go dude......

http://music.allofmp3.com/r2/T_Rex/T...html?albref=14
    Last edited by JediTricks; 12-18-2005 at 03:54 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for telling me the new Foo sucks. . . after I ordered it and got the shipping confirmation. I passed on it when it came out until I heard the track with Norah Jones. Man, if Dave Grohl had a baby with Norah Jones, that kid would rule the world.
    Well, this is actually my first Foo Fighters cd since the first one. They are a band I've always liked, especially most of the singles, but just haven't bought any other of their albums.
    I picked up the new one on a whim (and an $8.99 first week price), even though I wasn't a fan of the first single. When they advertised it as "One loud, one not so loud" my interest was grabbed, because the Foos really can rock when they want to. But the Norah Jones cameo was the real clincher.

The "loud" album is typical bland radio-friendly "rock" and the "not so loud" album is mostly forgettable (with the Norah track being the exception - She could sing the ABCs and I'd buy it).
    I think maybe I expected too much.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!