Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I cannot believe Chux just admitted to buying a Neil Diamond album. I don't give a crap about who produced it, it's NEIL F***ING DIAMOND!!! There is NOTHING cool about that!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Before the guy completely sold out to the Barry Manilow crowd, he was a damn cool songwriter. If nothing else, his greatness is assured by "Forever in Blue Jeans."

I cannot believe I've now praised both Neil Diamond and Ice Cube on the same forum within 24 hours. That has to be a first in recorded history.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I dig early Neil stuff. I like it. That whole lounge singer act has got to go though.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I know a guy who works For Universal music publishing. He was telling me that independent of the music industry a study proved that it's actually likely people download music either illegally or legally and then go on to buy the CD's anyway. the reason the music industry is doing so badly is because they employ worthless lazy freeloaders who do buggar all work and sign up crappy acts who are only expected to be worth a years worth of music before fading into obscurity.
    Acts aren't nurtured anymore, they aren't encouraged to be original, record companies sign a sound not an artist and they just want more of the same old same old because they think if people like the first album they'll love more of the same. Take the darkeness. that mock glam rock outfit that hit last year with 'I believe'. signed by Universal Music. one year on and they're sinking into obscurity faster than a lead balloon. Universal got an album and a few singles out of them and now don't care. Yet still whinge because they signed the band and blame internet downloads as the cause for the lack of album and single sales. Truth is the Darkness suck. They're a novelty tribute band. Artists like that can't be expected to have longevity. Nor can the public be expected to keep digging the vibe. So Universal wasted time and money on a group who should have stayed performing in bars and probably passed over countless actually talented acts. They went for the fast buck and now that's dried up they're crying.
    Lets not forget also that CD's scratch. they have to be stored. they take up room. Technology is moving on and the need for a format that is smaller and less fragile has arisen. For my money I feel that something akin to flash drives would be the best option. They're sturdy, they hold a lot and similarly to the net way of downloading, it should be possible to set up stores with computer stations where you take your flash drive in and simply drop your music from the stores computer onto the drive and do away with crappy CD's completely.

yeah, but they've had a cushy thing for a long time, and now that it's time to evolve or die, they're going out like whiny babies instead of just rolling with the punches.

it's interesting about that study, jargo. it just supports the suspicions i've had about the situation for along time.

yeah, the record industry is burying themselves under all their own crap: bad records, frivolous lawsuits, and their ostentatious lifestyles.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    "Forever in Blue Jeans."
    Yeah, I thought the words were "Reverend Blue Jeans" until about two years ago. What are you loooking at me like that for? Perhaps it's casual Sunday!

And then there's KH's favorite Neil Diamond song, "Sweet Caroline". I know how much that guy loves the Sox!
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I actually prefer Cracklin Rose
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Technology is moving on and the need for a format that is smaller and less fragile has arisen. For my money I feel that something akin to flash drives would be the best option. They're sturdy, they hold a lot and similarly to the net way of downloading, it should be possible to set up stores with computer stations where you take your flash drive in and simply drop your music from the stores computer onto the drive and do away with crappy CD's completely.
    Actually, I pretty much do this already. My MP3 player is a flash thumb drive that plugs into a USB port. I drag and drop the music into the drive then I can carry it with me, plug it into other computers or plug it into the player and listen to my music as a portable player. I love it, I can use the drive to store any kind of file I want or use it to listen to music! The music I "purchase for downloading into the drive" is purchased on Napster.

Here's a link to see what MP3 player I am talking about:

This is the first one I bought:
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=10919

This is the second one I bought:
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...5&product=4884

May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    the reason the music industry is doing so badly is because they employ worthless lazy freeloaders who do buggar all work and sign up crappy acts who are only expected to be worth a years worth of music before fading into obscurity.
    I believe that. The labels are no longer owned by music people. they are owned by huge conglomerates who are obsessed with marketing.

If you want a prime example of where the money goes, find out what an independent record promoter is. These bozos are ex-program directors who are paid to get current program directors to play a certain single on the radio. There is a law against paying program directors (payola), so these guys are paid to simply get the record played, which usually involves clandestine sleaze. anyway, these bozos make up to $300,000 a year.

no wonder artists usually end up owing the label money.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I'm with Chux, Neil Diamond is the balls.

Lotta great tunes from that guy, but I think my fave might be Holly Holy ?