Hybrid View

Texas' Convention Awareness Day Returns in January!

If you've ever said (of a convention), "That was LAST weekend?!", then Convention Awareness Day 2006 is for you. If of course, you happen to be in Texas.

Convention Awareness Day is returning for its second year of reminding potential Texas convention goers that "You Still Can't Go if You Don't Know!". The brainchild of none other than JediCole, this annual event will bring together representatives of various science fiction, anime, horror, toy, fan, comic, and literary conventions for a one-day informative event. The purpose is to foster a sense of community within and awareness of the richly diverse convention scene in Texas.

Several 2006 conventions have already signed on to be represented (including All-Con 2006 and Texas Frightmare Weekend, one of the newest to join the scene).

This event will be held in conjunction with the monthly Metroplex Die Cast & Collectibles Show on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at the Sterling Hotel in Dallas, Texas. Admission is just $1.00 and includes both CAD06 and the Die Cast show. Be sure to stop by the CAD06 table for your free Texas Convention Guidebook filled with articles, local fan club lists, and information on upcoming conventions in Texas.

I hope to meet some SSG folks at Convention Awareness Day 2006!
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Important Update on CAD06

Convention Awareness Day 2006 Update:
    (as posted on Fandom at Random DFW)

Due to various constraints on time APOTAC has been forced to postpone
    Convention Awareness Day 2006 until a later date. The original date
    for this event was to have been January 14, 2006. We are now looking
    at some time after April. We apologise for any inconvenience this may
    have caused. We felt it was important to postpone rather than not
    produce the best possible outing in support of the Texas convention
    scene.

We will still publish our Texas Convention Guide for 2006 (in February)
    for distribution at APOTAC's convention appearances in February, March,
    and April of 2006.

Don't forget to support the great conventions in Texas all year long!
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Does that mean the guide will be at the Dallas Comic-Con in February?
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent

Hey JediCole, I dropped a bunch of coin at your table at the SciFi Expo in Richardson yesterday, but didn't get to talk to you - you were waaaaayyy too busy. Getting back on topic, I'm wondering if you know of any SW-heavy shows coming up in Houston or San Antonio. I'm always on the lookout, but haven't seen anything interesting.
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent

Conventions in Texas

Sad to say there is precious little during 2006 (that I know of) along the lnies of Star Wars-centric conventions in or around Houston and San Antonio. Or even Austin (which you would think would be a boom market) for that matter!

If Texas members would like the best possible resource for conventions of every type (with fandom appeal that is) please visit and join Fandom at Random DFW (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fandomatrandomdfw/ I maintain a full calendar of events of interest to fans of all kinds of sci-fi and fantasy genres as well as links to the websites of conventions and other events. I try to make it one-stop shopping for information of all kinds.

Plus we gather on a roughly monthly basis for food and fun and even goofy things. We have several events in the works for 2006 and you can find us at lots of local conventions. We are even working on having a room party at Universal Collectibles Show III in Hurst, TX in May! Plus we will have an official headquarters at All-Con 2006 (March 17-19, 2006) in Dallas!

Please feel free to email me for details: cole@apotac.com or jedicole@yahoo.com.

Thanks for all of the info. With any luck, I'll actually get to say hello the next time I see you.
    David Brent