Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I heard that about Tom Morello and Jack White.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The Beastie Boys last album was composed entirely of instrumentals. It is hard to believe now, but when "Licensed to Ill" came out, they were about as much a marketing package as any other recording artist we now find so fit to hold up for derision.

NIN albums often have one or two instrumentals, although I haven't heard "Year Zero" yet.

If you want newer, less packaged music, seek it out in your local venues.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I was going to mention Derek Trucks, but it looks like I already did. Most of his solo output is instrumental. Mostly blues and rock guitar, but a heavy mix of world music and jazz in there as well. Very awesome stuff.

He's one of those guys who can't sing, and doesn't try. His wife's already a damned fine singer, so he just noodles on her albums when he wants vocals. (Or, occasionally, has her sing on one of his tracks.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

There are a number of recent instrumentals, they're just typically released as b-sides on singles. And singles are more and more a rarity item, since most retailers are fadding them out.

If you want people that can shred then look no further than Dragonforce! If you've played Guitar Hero III you know what I mean.

I seriously couldn't believe that they just formed. They sound and even look like they're from the 80's.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!