Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What ever happened to the instrumentals?

I was listening to the radio the other day and they played Jessica by the Allman Brothers. I got to thinking how much I miss hearing instrumentals. What ever happened to bands just jammin' out? I miss them alot. I also miss the seventeen minute long songs like the Dead have and so mnay other bands. One of my favorites is the 23 minute version of Thick as a Brick. WTF happened to music today????
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I guess everybody has something to say but it just doesn't take them all that long to say it.

Video killed the radio star! And then the video star too!
    Wanted; loose or sealed
    Blue Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter (Not Anakin's), TRU Y-Wing, TRU Gold Leader X-Wing

Instrumentals would involve actually knowing how to play an instrument. Most of the damn music nowadays is synthesizers. It's really sad if you think about it. Like when I was listening to holiday Christmas music I listen for the instrumentals and that's the best part of it. That's probably why I don't like newer Christmas songs is just because of that. I also listen to alot of oldies.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I dont know about you guys but most music these days is just a load of crap. Whatever happened to music that actually used instruments and required talent? I love all the music from the 60's and 70's, especially the Beatles and Rolling Stones. These guys actually had brains in there head, other then the crappy rappers who dont have enough brains to fill an egg cup.

Quote Originally Posted by starwarsfan1
    I dont know about you guys but most music these days is just a load of crap. Whatever happened to music that actually used instruments and required talent? I love all the music from the 60's and 70's, especially the Beatles and Rolling Stones. These guys actually had brains in there head, other then the crappy rappers who dont have enough brains to fill an egg cup.

Its not only rap music, its all music. Rock music all sounds the same. There are no distinguishing talents out there. Back in the day everyone sounded different, Beatles, Dead ,Stones, Zep, Floyd, The Who, and so on. Nowadays its all the same lame stuff. No one wants to take a step further and be creative.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    Instrumentals would involve actually knowing how to play an instrument. Most of the damn music nowadays is synthesizers. It's really sad if you think about it. Like when I was listening to holiday Christmas music I listen for the instrumentals and that's the best part of it. That's probably why I don't like newer Christmas songs is just because of that. I also listen to alot of oldies.
    I tend to agree with you on the synthesized music, though it is written for musicians by technicians on computer and sequenced to a click track that the so-called musicians onstage if any, can follow along. Unless they are miming, which happens alot. They are too worried about how they will look in front of a camera to actually learn an instrument. Gone are the days before the "Hit Making Machine." Even bands who were considered excellent musicians had to cut their songs down to 3 or 4 minutes to survive. If you really want to hear some excellent "synthesized" music, try listening to Genesis "And then there were three" this stuff is pre- Abacab. Before Phil got a big head. Tony Banks is just amazing. He actually had to play his keyboards. Some of us remember Yes "Close to the edge" If you can get past the elf vocals the synth playing on this record has never been equaled. Can you imagine the equipment these guys had to lug around? They couldn't store all their sounds on a laptop. The record companies seem to have forgotten that music or long instumental passages can put the listener in an almost cinematic place, where you can picture things in your imagination. Like a good long Peter Jackson movie you have to go back and watch (listen) again to catch the details. In a world of commercialized instant gratification, peoples attention spans are too short for such music to make any impact again.

Synthesizers should die.

Joe Perry had a couple of instrumentals on his last album, but he's still considered old school, methinks. I can't think of too many others recently.

It's not only instrumentals, but the underlying tracks. Where were you when you first actually heard that awesome bassline in "Lovefool" after you finally tuned out the repetitive "love me, love me" nonsense and realized that their bass player was actually pretty wicked? Or is that a separate thread?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Me would say Mr. Perry is old school. And for the Bass, yes it is a seperate thread, so get to a posting.

Okay, sorry for the faux pas (sp?).

I just recalled that the Allmans had an excellent instrumental called (appropriately enough) "Instrumental Illness" on Hitting the Note, which came out about two years or so ago. It's a great album. Someone told them to stop pretending to be country and go back to the southern-fried blues rock, and they brought on Derek Trucks as lead guitarist. That boy's the closest they've had to Duane since Duane passed on. He's no Duane, since that's almost like saying he's a Hendrix, but he's about as close as mortals can strive to be.
    Tommy, close your eyes.