HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (plus a free leap-second)

Enjoy your free extra second! Yes, new year's midnight gained a free extra second, every 7 years it's a Leap Second to reset to the world's not-quite-accurate rotation, so it went 11:59:59pm, 12:00:00am, 12:00:00am, 12:00:01am... they've added an extra second into the atomic clock and other official timekeepers around the world, huzzah.

Anyway, it's raining here in LA so there's not much to do today, I feel bad for the poor souls sleeping on the streets of Pasadena for tomorrow's Tournament of Roses parade (it's never held on Sunday because of a law meant to protect the parked horses of churchgoers from being spooked by parade floats), last night we drove by the Rose Bowl and got to peek into the tents where they're prepping the floats, that was cool, there's a whole city of RVs there doing the float decoration thing so that was wild.

[FONT=Arial Black]H[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]A[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]P[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]P[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]Y[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black] N[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]E[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]W[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black] Y[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]E[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]A[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]R[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black]![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial](only 358 days until xmas) [/FONT]
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Anybody care to do the math on how long it will take the earth to stop rotating???

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    every 7 years it's a Leap Second to reset to the world's not-quite-accurate rotation
    That's not quite right. It's been 7 years since the last leap second was added. Leap seconds are added a need be.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

So I went for a drive Saturday night and I wanted to see how fast my jeep would go......it went a lot faster than I predicted, because when I stopped I was in the year 2006...................erie.............how to get home I dont know....
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo
    Top Shelf Traders - tjovonovich, Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    That's not quite right. It's been 7 years since the last leap second was added. Leap seconds are added a need be.
    OR taken away as needed (although I can't remember if there has ever been one taken away ever).

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    OR taken away as needed (although I can't remember if there has ever been one taken away ever).
    Correct. And no, we have never lost a second as a correction. It's very unlikely to ever be the case where a second is taken back. That's because the Earth is slowing due the interaction with the Moon. At some point in the distant future we'll be in a tidal lock with the Moon and this will no longer be the dominant effect. I don't remember what the next most important factor is, it's either the Sun or Jupiter.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I am "leaping" over the added second.

HAW!!!
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    Lies spreaded by my enemies!

Yeah yeah.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I would like to use my second at a later time, perhaps right before I fall down drunk.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!