Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Vintage Star Wars Collector .. Need Advise!

I am new to collection vintage star wars loose figures. I am not sure how to properly collect the items other that the C rating system.

I have started to notice differnt stamps on the figures like Hong Kong and Date, Tawain and Date etc... Some have L.F.L and a Date.

I am assumming L.F.L is Lucas Film Limited.

The Star Wars guide I have doesnt say anything about this, but I am wondering what is best?

Can somebody advise.... Thanks much!!!

Vintage collecting is hard. Some of the figures will have reproduction weapons, some will be complete with original stuff. Some will be total fabrications(see vinyl caped Jawa thread), so be careful. I am lucky enough to have all my vintage figures still, so I dont need to many, Sans the POTF line, which are lot of money even loose. There are many knowledgeable people here, especially LuciferSam and Bel-Cam Jos when it comes to vintage buying, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask and we will let you know what we know(even tell ya how to manipulate midis in order to save lives one day). Welcome to the forums.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Welcome. I'll answer your questions or direct to the right place as best as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by alweeks
    I am new to collection vintage star wars loose figures. I am not sure how to properly collect the items other that the C rating system.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The C rating system is crap. 90% its the sellers unabashed opinion. There's no real standard to it. Its better to form your own opinion. That's mean knowing what condition you want your figures in and learning how to spot them before buying them.

I have started to notice differnt stamps on the figures like Hong Kong and Date, Tawain and Date etc... Some have L.F.L and a Date.

I am assumming L.F.L is Lucas Film Limited.
    Correct LFL is Lucas Film Limited. Many of the figures have this, but not all. The date is when they were designed, not made or released. Hong Kong and Tawain were where the figures were made. I don't know how big a variation hunter you are, but many loose collects I know don't bother with this.

The Star Wars guide I have doesnt say anything about this, but I am wondering what is best?
    What are you using right now? Most guides are aimed at carded collectors (freaks!). Steve Sansweet's Action Figure Archive (the gray book) is ok, but not great. John Kellerman's book is better, but its truly aimed at carded collectors and the loose section limited. And it's only on US figures (i.e. no Yak Face). Your better off with an online guide in general.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Question Vintage Collecting

I have the Star Wars 3rd Edition by Geoffrey T. Carloton.. I just started collecting literally 2 weeks ago. I have purchased 7 figures so far.

The guide that I have doesnt say anything much about anything really.

I just wanted to start collecting the Kenner originals, but I am finding they have been produced everywhere.

I am just curious to the questions to ask before bidding on these items.
    I guess I am confussed a little. Is there a Kenner Hong Kong, A Kenner Taiwan etc.... I believe I would prefer to select the figures made in the US Kenner, the originals...

Thanks for your prompt response and help!!!!

Is there a Kenner Hong Kong, A Kenner Taiwan etc.... I believe I would prefer to select the figures made in the US Kenner, the originals...
    No, not the way your thinking. Kenner was a US company and all the figures including Yak Face and Droids and Ewoks lines were designed in the US by Kenner. The toys themselves were manufactured in Hong Kong or Taiwan by Kenner (cheap labor). No 3 3/4" scale toys were made in the USA (not cheap labor).

That being said Kenner did lest out it product to non US toy makers to release in those countries. So Palitoy in the UK, Toltoys in Australia, Takara (and others) in Japan, etc. all released Kenner toys under their label. Most of these companies did not make their own original Star Wars toys. The notable exception was Takara. Once opened there is little chance of being able to know whose packaged that toy started in. A loose vintage figure is a loose vintage figure. There are a limited number of cases where one can say more, their limited.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Welcome, alweeks!

Another good way to start on vintage collecting is to find some cheap loose, accessory-less figures and try to find weapons and "stuff" to complete them. It makes you feel better to get figures ($3-$10 is a good price range) and kind of turns it into a fun hunt for them.

While it's not current anymore (but hey, how many vintage figures have been made in the last few years, huh? ), Steve Sansweet's Tomart Guide to World Wide SW Collectibles, 2nd edition is a good source to use.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Alweeks,
    I have a pile of extra figures that I could let go 3 for $10 (without weapons). Let me know your want list and I can get at least some together for you (email me).

If you have any POTF figs, PM me please
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    If you have any POTF figs, PM me please
    Especially if they're 3 for $10, too.

Also, another piece of advice, decide whether you'll pay anything for a figure, or what your breaking point will be. I've had many opportunities to complete the set earlier, but I felt that the price was too high (and this was in the time when a $100 figure was rare; now, that's fairly standard for most hard-to-find ones). Except for two at the end of my search, I got every SW fig I now own for less than $50 (POTF Carbonite Han = $95, POTF Yak Face = $70).

You can try for movies (complete ROJ, then SW, then ESB), certain chars (all the Lukes, then Landos, Leias, etc.), or just your favorites. My main advice is to enjoy the search, rather than letting it frustrate you or make you feel disillusioned that collectibles are too expensive or not worth the time.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

The last 1.5 remaining figures that I need are the Han carbonite block & the vinyl cape Jawa (have a fake one now). I think the highest I paid for a figure was my Yak Face for $90.

It is best to go with your favs first and then think about filling in the rest along the way as a secondary goal or later on. You can usually get figures at a good price on Ebay or at Toy Shows.

The one thing that I wouldn't suggest unless you like having dups is to buy an Ebay auction for a few figures only to get a dozen or so more of figures you already have. That leaves you with a big surplus (my current problem).
    Be patient as the figures you want/need will be back in another auction that better suits you.