Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Yoda do you like better - impish jerk or serious teacher?

I notice that the behavior from Yoda I think of most is when he's first giving Luke grief, before he's revealed that Luke has badly underestimated the little gnome who is really a Jedi master. Yoda's taunting of the heroes, crazy laughing, fighting with R2, tearing trhough Luke's belongings and eating his rations -- that guy is the best IMO, his "mmm? eh heh heh heh!" laugh is great, it conveys an almost nastiness that's masking wisdom.

The sage Yoda is good too, but it's almost a little too straightforward by comparison, very much a teacher that does more teaching through words than experience and behavior. It's all good here too, but the character becomes less interesting as the lessons take center stage.

(this thread discounts the Yoda of the prequels, that of a hard-headed Jedi Council Member and later a Columbian killer attack frog.)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I like the Yoda we first see in ESB, when despite his size he is a major ahole!

Maybe living in solitude, drove him crazy. After 18 years, he interacts with another human
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

It makes you wonder what the little booger thought when he saw Anakin's old droid, doesn't it?

Ah, the convoluted coinkidinks of the prequels.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Imagine if he would have seen Chewbacca.....
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I foresee some really serious re-writing of EU in the next couple of years. Artoo's finally spilling the beans on Padme's identity some 35 years post-Endor, because he's still programmed to keep it secret, but you know when Luke told everybody where he'd been chilling during the events of ESB, Chewie would've immediately have said, "Dude, I know that guy!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Did Luke ever mention Yoda's name?

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Did Luke ever mention Yoda's name?
    Sure he did....... to Obi Wan.

No reason to believe he didn't. In EU, it's more or less common knowledge a few years after Endor that Luke trained with Yoda, so Chewie would've definitely have known that.

The ANH and ESB Infinities comics are pretty much negated; even if they were both "What Ifs...?" they both involve Chewie meeting Yoda face-to-face.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Which Yoda do you like better - impish jerk or serious teacher?

(this thread discounts the Yoda of the prequels, that of a hard-headed Jedi Council Member and later a Columbian killer attack frog.)
    I think that all the great teachers of the world have to be impish jerks AND serious teachers. Luke was failing the test in ESB.

YODA: "A powerful Jedi Master I am, oozing with the Force. If even 1/10 of his father this guy is, sense me right off the bat he should."
    LUKE: [breeze blowing through head] "Uhh..."
    YODA: "Okay, what planet did we send his sister to?"

And Yoda was a little impish in the Prequels, of course.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."