Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Hawk Down

I just saw Black Hawk Down last night. It was pretty good. However I think that Josh Hartnett was horribly miscast. The part should have been played by someone a little bit older. All I kept thinking to myself was, this guy is a sergeant and he is ordering these people around and he looks like he's a teenager. Plus IMO Hartnetts acting wasn't that great and the part where he was talking about why he joined the rangers because he thought he could make a difference was TOO CHEESY. Other than that I quite enjoyed it.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Well, those guys WERE really young in real life. Everybody except the Delta Force guys and the officers were between 18 and 24.

hey sith droid,

as suggested by rollo, i picked up the black hawk down book. by the way, it's based on a true story. as dramatic as it was, if the writers had simply made this story up, they could of gone a more dramatic route ala saving private ryan.

by the way, the character josh hartnet plays was only a five year veteran in the army, aged 24 or 25, and i bet the feelings he expresssed about making a difference were real, not made up. sorry if you think real life is cheezy.

I think that anyone willing to go into the line of fire for the sake of someone else truly believes he can make a difference. God bless them for their dedication.

Originally posted by SithDroid
    the part where he was talking about why he joined the rangers because he thought he could make a difference was TOO CHEESY. Other than that I quite enjoyed it.
    I've known many people who have joined the military for very idealistic reasons. It's not uncommon by any means and they definitely don't see it as cheesy.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not saying that most people don't join the military just to have fun. I do believe that some join the military to actually make a difference. My point was that the way the subject was brought up and the way Hartnett delivered it seemed CHEESY.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Hmm, maybe I should go see this after all. I was avoiding it, due to the fact I'm not much of a war movie fan. But with all the good press it's getting, as well as the praise you guys are heaping on the movie, perhaps I should. Guess I should go find out the local showtimes, and drag myself to the theater. I'll let you guys know what I thought, if I do go.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 02-06-2002 at 12:52 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Do see it Jar Jar. It is a great movie.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Yes, JarJar you should, BHD was a great war movie. It showed very well what happened in Somalia. It was graphic and detailed, and overall I'd give it 4 stars.
    Thanks To Hango Fett/Jedi Tricks for the Avatar!

It was an awesome movie, but like all movies, it gets a little sugarcoating, you hardly see the somali women and children getting killed as well as the bad guys.