Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Black Hawk Down

A really good movie. If you want a film with a lot of hardcore combat and no soft-touch sequences, this is it! Black Hawk Down never slows down. They hit the mission about a half hour into the film and the guns barely ever stop after that. THIS is a war movie!

I agree with the posters that suggested that more information on Aidid's history and objectives as well as Pakistan's involvement and its objectives would be welcome. I think the subject area could be revisited for a prequel actually - maybe a movie about Aidid and what the stratgies and concerns being laid out in the UN were at the time.

A sequel would also be of interest, as this movie was strongly focused on the US soldiers. Meanwhile, what was actually accomplished in Somalia? You know in San Diego there is a large community of Somali refugees. What did they leave behind? What is life like for them now? How divided are their families? What issues about tribes and clans are still prevalent? Here and in the home country?

Meanwhile, it was horrible as to what our troops faced. If I were President, would I have sent them in there? Should our military serve with the UN? If we must, can we be freed up to deploy the worst in our arsenol? (short range nukes if need be?) If this was to be a conventional arms fight, should we have deployed a whole invasion force and just mowed everyone down off the rooftops etc? We had the manpower it would seem. The idea was that we weren't going to stand for genocide inflicted on civilians. If the Somalia militia was going to stand against us, why didn't we just eliminate all of them? If they put down their guns, we wouldn't shoot at them. It was such a "banana republic" over there it was unbelievable.

I'm sure to have a lot more thoughts about this movie. I'm glad I finally watched it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

While the movie condensed much of the book (and characters), it is still one of my favorite war movies. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    A sequel would also be of interest, as this movie was strongly focused on the US soldiers.
    Black Hawk Down 2: Electric Boogaloo? There is nothing more to tell about what happened on that day.
    Meanwhile, what was actually accomplished in Somalia?
    Absolutely nothing because Bubba Clinton ripped everyone out of there after the incident.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    There is nothing more to tell about what happened on that day.
    "On that day" - I'll agree with you. But the before and after interest me. It might not end up being an action movie at all - but a drama about what was unfolding in the UN and in the Clinton White House, etc. - but perhaps there'd be some action sequences with Aidid.

Absolutely nothing because Bubba Clinton ripped everyone out of there after the incident.
    Again, I'd like to know why? If Clinton became a coward about it, (or his poll ratings or whatever) I'd like to see that and what his supposed reasoning was.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

"On that day" - I'll agree with you. But the before and after interest me. It might not end up being an action movie at all - but a drama about what was unfolding in the UN and in the Clinton White House, etc. - but perhaps there'd be some action sequences with Aidid.
    That sounds like a very boring movie. Read the book. It sheds a lot of light on the subject.
    Again, I'd like to know why? If Clinton became a coward about it, (or his poll ratings or whatever) I'd like to see that and what his supposed reasoning was.
    Pubic outrage is a powerful thing. Americans don't like seeing the bodies of dead soldiers, killed in battle during a mission that they knew little to nothing about, being dragged through the streets on CNN.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    Pubic outrage is a powerful thing. Americans don't like seeing the bodies of dead soldiers, killed in battle during a mission that they knew little to nothing about, being dragged through the streets on CNN.
    In there lies a lesson for George W. Bush, as well.