Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clone Turbo Tank / Juggernaut

Hey,
    I know Hasbro has stated that they are not interested in releasing new vehicles and playsets for the Star Wars line for cost reasons. However I was just over at HasbroToyShop.com and saw this vehicle for GI Joe and thought, if Hasbro can make something like this that sells for $45 bucks then surely they can produce the Turbo Tank for around the same cost.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gi joe.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	13342
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yeah, it always amazes me how Hasblo can justify making new vehicles for G.I. Joe but they complain that it costs to much to produce a new mold for a Star Wars vehicle. I wish Hasblo would just sell the license to another company like they did with the 12" to Sideshow.

I'd happily buy one.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

If we never got an AT-TE we wont get this unfortunately.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I may be totally mistaken, but wasn't this one of the prototype molds back in the 1980s when Kenner proposed continuing the line beyond ROTJ?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I know that there were prototypes produced but I thought they were of eaxisting star wars stuff with new color schemes, like the brown Sandspeeder. I don't remember seeing anything that had wheels though. It still strikes me odd that Hasbro is willing to create something this cool for GI Joe, and nothing for Star Wars. This is proof that Hasbro could make a decent affordable turbo tank or AT-TE.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hasbro doesn't have to pay licensing fees when they sell a big vehicle for GI Joe, yet the LFL licensing fees take a bite out of their profits, making it harder to turn a profit on the expensive mold required.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Hasbro doesn't have to pay licensing fees when they sell a big vehicle for GI Joe, yet the LFL licensing fees take a bite out of their profits, making it harder to turn a profit on the expensive mold required.
    Taht's just it JT, they've ALREADY PAID THE LICENSING FEES. Why the hell would they pay $150 million or whatever that ongodly number was, to have to pay more for more toys to produce?

They paid the licenseing fees, so that's not the excuse anymore. Never really was, once they paid it. We just missed htat key factor.

They don't need to pay a new fee for each item to produce. They already have sole rights to produce 3 3/4 figs, ships, vehicles.

Now if this G.I.Joe playset/vehicle is currently on shelves (I havent seen it, but then I'm not looking at Joe stuff), then the argument about big box stores (WM, Traget, TRU) not carrying big items, is also a fallacy.

They also can't claim that Joe have a larger appeal. SW has been the biggest license for years.

No, I think it was just a big error on Hasbro's part for not capitolizing on either the AT-TE or Turbo Tank when the movies came out. Perhaps they didn't think large vehicles would sell. Indeed there's been some failures there. The biggest being the Queen's ship. While that's a GREAT playset, think about it...It's not an action driven ship, it's named the "Queen's" ship, another detractor for boys, and is a bland silver all around.

The AT-TE and Turbo Tank ARE action driven. They were used in ground based assaults, which lends itse;f VERY well to kids playing in their yards. Turbo Tank is a great name for a boy's toy.

Nah, I think this is all Hasbro's snafu. They felt like a large SW vehicle would fail because of past ones and completely missed the boat on the increasing popularity of SW as the prequels unfolded.

Gettin back to the licensing thing. I'm quite certain that when they paid the license it meant that they had teh right to produce what ever toy they wanted to make from the movie with LFL's approval (not further costs).

Who knows, maybe they did want to make the AT-TE and LFL shot their idea down...

This will be debated for years. Without ever receiving this ship or the Turbo Tank, there's no way we are going to find out the real reason why they weren't produced. Hasbro is not known for "telling all."
    Move along, move along

Because each new SW mold is a risk against what they've already paid out, if it fails it doesn't just hurt from the mold cost, it hurts from the licensing cost. That's generally how they think there, unfortunately it's why there are so many unreleased Action Fleet pieces.

Now if this G.I.Joe playset/vehicle is currently on shelves (I havent seen it, but then I'm not looking at Joe stuff), then the argument about big box stores (WM, Traget, TRU) not carrying big items, is also a fallacy.
    Except that it's not in the stores, the 4" line got put into Hasbro's internet store because the line wasn't doing well enough. That's a point against this item unfortunately. As for why they don't release a Juggernaut (or better yet, an AT-TE, it's been more requested) on the web, I guess it's that risk thing again I mentioned. Large vehicles in general - not just SW - have been in decline for the past 15 years unfortunately, the toy companies don't have faith in them and don't recognize that the vehicles for SW and GI Joe sell more figures.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Guess I have to give my parent's credit. Because as a child I certainly wanted all the huge vehicles I could get for GI JOE and they didn't have any big hesitation in providing them. They'd at least buy it and save it for my birthday or for Christmas.

And if today's kids don't want huge vehicles I can only assume its because of increasingly short attention spans - they don't collect any given toy line long enough - rather moving with the latest fads, novelty toys and one-offs. And f***ing computer games not least.