Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ultimate Fighting Championship!

Just seeing if there are any other fans of this sport here.

This is not the fake stuff that you see on WWE or TNA, this is the real thing.

I've been following the career of Welterweight (170 lb) Champion Matt Hughes for about three years now and that has paid off recently as I've been put in charge of and recently redesigned his entire website. Click on the link in my sig line if you're interested in seeing the site.

Well, in any case, Matt is set to fight UFC legend Royce Gracie in May, which should be a great fight (although I don't think Gracie has much of a chance, the sport has evolved way beyond his outdated skills).

Of course, this weekend is the third meeting of Light Heavyweights Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture. I really want to see Liddell win and keep the championship title, this way he can work on shutting up Tito Ortiz next.

Well, I'm just testing the waters here in hopes of finding a closet-UFC fan on these boards.

Yeah, been a real fan of the sport since it all began way back in the day & I'm looking forward to the upcoming fights. I'm a big fan of Matt Hughes , if you could get me an auto it would be super (To Pete & my son Brandon), just kidding of course. Not sure on who I'm going for this weekend (Liddell or Couture) I like them both, if Randy wins it's good for him (payback), if Liddell wins then it's bad for Tito, if things go down that road which it would be nice to see. BTW nice website, looks well done.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Tito has been talking so much trash, I would love to see either Liddell or Couture take him down a couple of pegs.

So what was your initial reaction to the announcement about Hughes fighting Graci? I think the UFC overhyped the announcement. Sure it's a big deal, but it's not really going to "change the UFC forever."

I'm thinking that Matt is going to KO Gracie within the first round. His standup has really improved and he's fully capable of winning a fight without it ever going to the ground. A lot of people don't realize just how well rounded Matt really is, they see him as just a wrestler. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Then of course, he gets to get ready for his rematch with either Georges St. Pierre or BJ Penn. As talented as St. Pierre is and as much as I would like to see him have another title shot, I really want to see Matt avenge that loss against BJ.

But I don't see BJ getting past St. Pierre.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    Tito has been talking so much trash, I would love to see either Liddell or Couture take him down a couple of pegs.

So what was your initial reaction to the announcement about Hughes fighting Graci? I think the UFC overhyped the announcement. Sure it's a big deal, but it's not really going to "change the UFC forever."

I'm thinking that Matt is going to KO Gracie within the first round. His standup has really improved and he's fully capable of winning a fight without it ever going to the ground. A lot of people don't realize just how well rounded Matt really is, they see him as just a wrestler. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Then of course, he gets to get ready for his rematch with either Georges St. Pierre or BJ Penn. As talented as St. Pierre is and as much as I would like to see him have another title shot, I really want to see Matt avenge that loss against BJ.

But I don't see BJ getting past St. Pierre.
    It would be nice to see either one of them lay Tito out cold, so I'm not picky on who does the deed, either way I'd be happy. (I hate trash talkers)

Gracie & Matt should be a good match as long as Matt doesn't make a mistake, if he does Gracie will make him pay. I'm going for Matt myself, good stand-up, good on the ground & pound etc. (True Champ) As for Penn or St Pierre, I'd rather see Penn just for redemption as well. Hopefully it will be a good year for Matt & the rest of us fans.

Holy crap! A Big B sighting!

I wouldn't say I follow UFC, but I enjoy watching it on Spike TV (usually on Friday nites after Mrs. CaptainSolo has gone to bed). I think it gets a bum rap from people for being some ultraviolent bloodfest, which it's not.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I saw some of it on Spike and my god they can't fight worth a damn. Thier first mistake is getting all buddy buddy with the competition, nobody wanted to beat the hell out of rashad it seemed. I would have, I would have messed him up real bad. No free rides, get in there and break every bone in their body if necessary to win. Dislocate arms and legs, break the neck. When he's showboat dancing nail him square in the face knock his sorry *** out right there, bend the kneecaps the wrong way.

I know they are pro fighters and all, but it looks so much like two average joes going at it when i watch on the tube. Guys throwing haymakers and missing, slipping, wrestling on the ground. I could go to a bar and watch that kind of stuff. UFC makes me sleep.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aid killer
    I know they are pro fighters and all, but it looks so much like two average joes going at it when i watch on the tube. Guys throwing haymakers and missing, slipping, wrestling on the ground. I could go to a bar and watch that kind of stuff. UFC makes me sleep.
    If you are used to watching the choreographed and rehearsed fighting that you see in movies or the fake acrobatics that are displayed in "professional wrestling;" then I can understand how you would think that real fighting would be a little slow and clumsy.

However, if you watch the fights and try to understand the strategy and techniques (and not just watch it to see somebody get hurt), then you will really begin to appreciate the skill and athleticism involved. These are truly some of the most skilled and well-rounded athletes competing today.

I watched the UFC last weekend (Couture & Liddell III) & made a bet with a friend that Liddell would take it in the first or early second & then Randy would retire. I won on both accounts, which made me happy & my wallet a little heavier, good fight but way too short. I was suprised that Mir got his butt whooped, didn't see that one coming, hopefully he just needs time to adjust after his accident. Can't wait for UFC III on spike, it should be interesting with Tito & Sham coaching, like I said, can't wait.

My girlfriend and I are huge fans. We watch it every chance we get on Spike TV.