Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$1000 to fix a light on my dashboard so my SUV is legal?

I failed my California smog test today - not because my Cherokee is a gross-polluter, but because everything has to be perfect I guess. An engine operating indicator light is not working on my dash board and tomorrow I'll be taking taxi cabs or renting a car for the day while service removes my entire dashboard to get to the one little light. The actual pollution caused by my truck was well below CA emission standards, but this is some stupid excuse to inconvenience me. Anyway, like usual I waited until the last minute to renew my registration. The good 'ol forum seems the perfect place to vent.

Anyway, if I need to drive to see ya, you'll probably not see me - until Thursday. (groan)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The actual pollution caused by my truck was well below CA emission standards, but this is some stupid excuse to inconvenience me.
    And a good way to lighten you in the wallet 1K.

Damn the Man Tycho, .... Damn the Man!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's Beer!! Hooray Beer!!![/FONT]

I will make it legal.

C'mon, no one else thought that?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Nope, not really chux.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

That's one advantage of having older cars, these silly regulations don't apply. $1000 sounds about $950 excessive though, is it possible the light is representing a real engine problem? I would suggest looking into this before plunking down that much coin, it's real easy to get ripped off, so at least look it up on the internet but more likely ask other mechanics.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    That's one advantage of having older cars, these silly regulations don't apply. $1000 sounds about $950 excessive though, is it possible the light is representing a real engine problem? I would suggest looking into this before plunking down that much coin, it's real easy to get ripped off, so at least look it up on the internet but more likely ask other mechanics.
    It's been my experience that you should ask mechanics who run their own small garages rather than mechanics at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, etc. The larger chains (at least in my area) have a greater tendency to tell you about all the "necessary" expensive repairs you need whereas the "mom and pop" mechanics will give you a more accurate appraisal. After all, most of their business comes from word-of-mouth, so they have every reason to do right by you.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

Update: It was less than $150! Shhheewwwww!

I went to the Jeep dealer and they handled it very professionally and even called my Smog Test place to confer with them.

I'm factory specs and quite satisfied.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho, is there anything you won't overreact to?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I agree with Tycho.

ORANGE Honda Element 2004 + 35 yr old parking structure at work + salt/calcium chloride in winter = Frickin LIME on the hood of my Clearcoat paint job.

c'mon.....3 Stories tall for Parking in Downtown Milwaukee (Summerfest).

Tear it down and build something 7 stories and whammo!!!! It's paid for and they can figure the water issue out.

Frickin' Morons!
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!