Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mini-Busts: Thoughts and Suggestions

First of all, I appreciate the increased production run of your pieces. However, Vader and Yoda are IMO too high. Perhaps a run of 8000-10,000 would be a little better. Enough for everyone who wants one to have a shot and not so many that they sit on shelves indefinitely.

The quality of these busts have only gotten better from what I've seen. Kudos to the sculptors and painters!!!

Here are some suggestions for the future of the mini-bust line:

1) Please try to stick to release dates better. Maybe withhold the date until it's more of a sure thing

2) Please try to release more per year. Maybe two per quarter?

3) Some future mini-bust ideas...

Darth Maul
    Anakin Skywalker (ROTS)
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (ANH)
    General Grievous
    Chancellor Palpatine
    AT-AT Driver
    TIE Fighter Pilot
    Emperor's Royal Guard
    Nute Gunray
    Lama Su
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

I have to agree completely here.

The quality of the busts have gottn better. Holding the release date from us is a little safer on your part and keeps us from quibbling, which you know we are prone to do.

On the whole, I satisfied with how this line has been progressing.

As to future mini-busts, Sith Lord 0498 has some great suggestions there. Darth Maul, I think should be first on his list to be made.
    Some other suggestions for future busts are:
    • Snowtrooper
    • Dengar
    • Zukuss
    • 4-Lom (notice the trend there and by doing those three, completes the ESB scene)
    • Han Solo (Hoth with variations-Hood Up, Hood Down and both in blue and brown color variants) You can supply a head swap thereby saving money on the molds as you'd need just the one for the body, two different heads and then just different paint applications. Good way to stretch out the mold! Like you've done with the Sandtroopers
    • Lando Calrissian (Bespin) Long overdue, imo. He's much like Han, but even more "charming"
    • Ponda Baba-He's a good choice due to his pivotal scene, but I'd suggest making this one a smaller run, say no more than 3K.
    • Jawa-another decent choice but small run. These little guys were all over the place in the Saga, it would be a shame NOT to make them
    • Tusken Raider (Sandpeople)-Male version only please. A great pose would be like the one holding his Gaffi stick over his head in conquest over Luke in SW
    • Leia (Hoth) It's an outfit she wore for the better part of Empire Strikes Back. Only makes sense to make her
    • Leia (Classic white outfit from SW) I can't believe this hasn't been done yet. Make this one like the Bust-Up and you've got a sure seller here. Larger quantity please. Suggest 7-10K
    • Luke (Tatooine) again another classic outfit. This is the quintessential Luke to many people. A mid to large run of 10-12K for him should suffice.
    • Luke (ROTJ Jedi outfit) The "other" quintessential outfit. Remember the flap down and it's gray. Maybe a hand swap for the blaster damaged hand he gets on Tatooine and a black gloved version.
    • Wicket-if you only do ONE Ewok, he HAS to be it. Decent run of 8K
    • Watto-repulsive, ugly, broken tooth, unshaven...what more could you want from a Star Wars bust? A good choice for a small run 3-4K
    • Jar Jar-yeah I know he's everyone's favorite character to hate, but he plays a huge role in TPM and has quite a pivitol moment in AOTC, not to be made. I think people have learned to appreciate him a bit more since then. Still I'd suggest a small run of him 3-4K
    • Battle Droid-This is a no brainer, you can make both the tan and red variants, security variant, pilot variant, commander variant, red commander variant thereby stretching out this mold too! 5K each color for Tan and red variant, then 2500 each of the others, with exception to the red commander variant, make him a juicy short run of 1000-1500. That's SIX droids from teh same mold! Optional interchangeable arms would make these mold more dynamic and sell better.
    • Super Battle Droid-a good compliment to the Battle Droid. 5K
    • Grievous's bodyguard droids (blue-ish and white variants) small run of 3K each variant.
    • Ki-Adi Mundi 5K
    • Plo Koon 5K
    • Kit Fisto 5K (AOTC stye please...I despise the pale, bloodshot eyed ROTS version)
    • Agen Kolar 5K
    • Saesee Tiin 5K these last three jedi (Kit, Agen, Saesee) were the ones to accompany Mace Windu to capture/kill Palpatine.
    • Aayla Secura-rowr rowr...panting heavily...MUST make this bust! a mid run of 7-8K possible for this one
    • Clone Commander Gree-you can use the same mold as the other ROTS clones you have coming out soon, just don't forget the suspender and a viewfinder would be a nice accessory
    • Clone Commander Bly-Another of the more desired Clones
    • Clone Commander Cody! By far one of the most desired characters in teh toy line, he'd be a sure bet to do well in the mini bust line. Alternate Temura Morrison head swpa please! Each of these clone commanders can easily garner 5K. Maybe a little more for Cody as he has a bigger role and a speaking part in the movie.

Okay, I'm done for the moment. That's plenty to think of.

Once again THANKS for such a tremendous job on this line and I look forward to buying you product for many years to come!

Regards,
    -Sal
    Move along, move along

If you're going to do a Leia...

SLAVE LEIA!!!!

On a more serious note (but I am serious about the Slave Leia bust), I'd have to say that these do need to be made as well (some were mentioned by Sal)

Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
    Snowtrooper
    Chewbacca
    Boba Fett (resculpted version a la ROTS Vader and ESB Yoda re-dos)
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Oh yeah, Slave Leia....

If you do Boba again, and you most certainly should, PLEASE for the love of gawd make him a HIGH run. 15K at least!

He is one of the most popular characters in the whole Saga. Many people who collect the busts are unhappy that they didn't get him when he came around the first time.
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal
    He is one of the most popular characters in the whole Saga. Many people who collect the busts are unhappy that they didn't get him when he came around the first time.
    And that's exactly why he's on that suggestion list!!

I think overall I'm quite pleased with how GG has been doing with their mini-busts. They've always had a problem meeting release dates so I've just learned to except it and plan my budget accordingly so that doesn't bother me. The quality has steadily got better over time and at $40-$50 a piece the value is definitely there IMO. The increased production runs are fine as long as they don't get carried away (ROTS Vader) and apply it to the right merchandise, hint hint GG the upcoming ROTS Clone Troopers.

There are a few things that I think could be addressed better though:

-Do more for the members of the Collector's Club. Sure Salacious Crumb was a nice offering but how about giving us email updates for items like the AOTC Threepio that came and went before most of us had any idea it went on sale.

-Quit making popular pieces convention exclusives. Not all of us can afford to go to these conventions or we choose to spend our money on product instead. Releasing something as universally popular as a Clone Trooper is unfair to the majority of the fan base IMO. GG should stick with less popular characters (Jar Jar maybe) or interesting variants (like the chrome pieces) that collectors don't necessarily need to have in their collections.

-Cover the entire SW Saga not just the OT. To date we have no pieces from TPM, four pieces from AOTC (Clone Trooper, Clone Pilot, Yoda and Threepio) not including the armless busts which I couldn't care less about and one ROTS piece (Darth Vader.) The upcoming Darth Sidious, ROTS Clone Troopers and Qui-Gon Jinn are all steps in the right direction so hopefully we see this trend continue.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    -Quit making popular pieces convention exclusives. Not all of us can afford to go to these conventions or we choose to spend our money on product instead. Releasing something as universally popular as a Clone Trooper is unfair to the majority of the fan base IMO. GG should stick with less popular characters (Jar Jar maybe) or interesting variants (like the chrome pieces) that collectors don't necessarily need to have in their collections.
    Yeah, I have to admit this is my single worst problem with GG. Otherwise it's all good after that.

Collecting shouldn't be HARD. Popular characters are just that, POPULAR. Makign them available to the masses means you have a greater opportunity to make more money. Limiting those characters makes you lose money and frustrates the hell out of we collectors.

Case in point, I SO wanted each of the different Clone Trooper colors fron AOTC that came out a couple of years ago. There's no way in hell I'm paying the kind of scrath it goes for on eBay. But I'd GLADLY give you GG the money for those sculpts/variations. It's a HUGE missed opportunity when you limit popular characters.

So, that being said, PLEASE don't limit the ROTS clone slike you did the AOTC ones. Each version of the ROTS clones will be in demand.

These being:
    Utapau
    Tactical Ops (Blue markings)
    Shocktrooper
    Clone Commander Gree
    Clone Commander Cody
    Clone Commander Bly
    Clone Commander Bacara
    Kashyyyk trooper (much like the Scout trooper from ROTJ-Gree's grunts)
    Star Corps Clones (Bly's grunts)
    Galactic Marines (Bacara's grunts)
    and to a lesser degree the Gray Clones and the all white clones.

Of those listed above they should all be no less than 5K each, with Cody being much more (7-8K), then Gree and Bly (6-7K each).

Clones are immensely popular right now. The same basic mold can be used for most of these listed, with slight changes for some of them. Cody would require the most rework and of course the Kashyyyk trooper and Galactic Marine would be a new sculpt altogether.

Okay, I'll leave well enough alone. I am VERY happy with this line. Only the availibility, limited runs, get to me.

We WANT this product GG. Make it and we WILL buy it!
    -Sal
    Move along, move along

All very good points!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I can't believe how much the AOTC Clones are going for on e-bay. The blue goes for over $600-700 and even the White goes for $100 +! It's crazy to think I have a shelf of Clones valued around $2000.

When the Blue one came out I went to the SDCC to get it, but they were gone. The next day I went to a local show and some guy was selling one for 100. I must had walked by and looked at it 5 times and the guy said. Look I know you want it make be an offer. I said 85 and he said 90. SOLD. I though that was too much but I didn't think I would find it again, Glad I did. The same guy had Fett for the same price, but I had only enough for the Clone. My wife paid a crazy amount for Fett for my 30th B-day. I told her not to tell me how much.

Now the same thing is going to happen with the Shocktrooper and the Orange Trooper.

I'm determined to get these at retail. If I have to steal one I will.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Sometimes its better not to know.

We have a Convention once a year here in Colorado where the same dealer is selling a Clone Pilot Minibust and wants $300 for it. The man will not budge on the price and gives me the same story every year about how rare it is and what a cheap price he's selling it for. HA!

Maybe I'll get lucky this year.
    Last edited by Jayspawn; 03-05-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett