View Poll Results: How Many Sideshow 12" Figures Have You Preordered?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll

33 14.41%

23 10.04%

15 6.55%

76 33.19%

23 10.04%

6 2.62%

3 1.31%

15 6.55%

0 0%

1 0.44%
  • None

34 14.85%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hmmm... that Mace figure. I'd be curious to know how many people might order that one. I'm not too impressed by the head sculpt at all with that one.
    plasticfetish.net

JT, I've ordered 5 now:

2 Obi-Wans
    1 Kit
    1 Anakin
    1 Han

I think I'd voted "2" before. But I ordered my 2nd Obi-Wan from Amok Time, as with Anakin. So does that count as a False-Order because I already ordered an Obi-Wan from Sideshow? In that case, my count would be 4 instead of 5, but if you are specifying "from Sideshow Direct" for your poll then it would be 3. Of course the characters could be varying heights, so they may not all be exactly 12", but 1/16 scale at whatever height that may be accurate at. So I may have to change my vote to zero figures if none are actually 12" exactly if that is what your poll is asking for. Thereby I suggest you ammend your poll to ask "how many False-12" figures did you order from Sideshow Direct?" Of course none of us have been charged for our SS Orders yet, so do they actually count as True-Orders?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Ok, I changed your vote to reflect that Tycho. It wasn't "from sideshow" only, so 5 does count.

BTW, 12" figures are 1/6-scale. Since some folks don't realize what 1/6th-scale means though, I refer to them as 12"-scale on the forums but for polls I try to make it as accessible as possible.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Ok, I changed your vote to reflect that Tycho.
    Sniff... sniff... I smell a voting scandal.

Well since "none" was added to the poll that is how I voted.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Selling out in a matter of hours doesn't seem like they went too wrong to me, and maybe this poll should be about the collectors rather than trying to get feedback to SSC - maybe it's a sign of how desparate people are for their voices to be heard, but my first duty is to the forums, not SSC's marketing department. And like I said before, not everything is about "you", sometimes it's about others, if I had closed the thread to posting and you could only vote, you couldn't even have explained your 0 vote. I don't see anybody complaining that I haven't started a poll about Kotobukiya or Code 3 or Master Replicas or Medicom, yet they're all FAR worse offenders in many ways than Sideshow Collectibles.
    Selling out in a matter of hours says that they GROSSLY underestimated the desire for the product. They could have made much more from this instead of limiting it to what they did. Yeah, I realize the poll is about the collectors and the site, blah blah. But the free market research is a by-product of discussion from these boards that can only help to serve the manufacturers and cosequently the collecting community at large.
    If you had close the poll to votes only that would have been just fine. Seeing as how there are a significant amount of none votes, at the least it could have raised an "eyebrow" so to speak with SSC. I don't collect Kotobukiya, Code 3, or Medicom. SO I can't speak about them. I DID want to get SSC stuff until I heard of the exclusives practice. That completely blew it for me. So, why not have our collective voices be heard. Many people like SSC, but it shouldn't all be honey either. Sometimes the other side of things needs to be taken account to have an understanding of the whole viewpoint.

All I'm trying to say is that SSC lost customers before they started being customers becuase of the way they did things.

I will say this, after seeing their stuff from Toy Fair pics, I'm GLAD I didn't lay down the scratch for their stuff. I think ALL of the head scultps suck. I showed them to three other people (one a fan, one a casual fan and the other not really a fan). All of them basically said the same thing. The costumes and accessories look great but the heads suck. IF we are being asked to pay 2 1/2 times the price then these tings should be danged near spot on and IMO (and teh other three I talked to) they are not.

Ah well, as I said before, money saved...More Army builders and GG busts for me then.

Oh and Tycho, I think you're right, we probably couldn't AB in the same state...ha ha. Did I tell you I got a job in San Diego and start in March? You better grab everything while you can...heh heh.

(J/K Tycho)
    -Sal
    Move along, move along

Sideshow headsculpts:

Luke - looks OK, but I didn't order him. I have an adequate extra Hasbro.
    Anakin - looks great! There's no comparison to Hasbro's!
    Obi-Wan - perfection. This is SS's best piece!!!
    Kit Fisto - OK. I just wanted Kit in my 12" collection, so as long as he's not lame...
    Han Solo - I'm not sure yet. Hasbro's Bespin Solo and Carbonite Solo sucked though. Anything helps.
    Mace - Hasbro did an adequate job. I'm not tempted because I bought extra Hasbro.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Selling out in a matter of hours says that they GROSSLY underestimated the desire for the product. They could have made much more from this instead of limiting it to what they did.
    Yes, that's true. Not a failure of the product though, it's either a failure of vision or a marketing decision designed to ensure the full run doesn't tank.

Yeah, I realize the poll is about the collectors and the site, blah blah. But the free market research is a by-product of discussion from these boards that can only help to serve the manufacturers and cosequently the collecting community at large.
    "By-product" is the key there, you want a poll about the community's frustration about the exclusives or whatever else, you have to suggest it, you can't expect to just hijack any thread that comes up about Sideshow to suit your opinions, that's not fair to the rest of us - and I don't mean you specifically, this is coming up more and more frequently around here, someone will post a thread about Master Replicas or Star Wars Transformers and all of a sudden it gets hijacked into this "GOTTA TELL THE MANUFACTURER HOW IT IS STRAIGHT-UP!!!" stuff that ruins the thread.

And it's not like we don't have several avenues that you could explore to express yourself, there's starting a thread in the proper section, suggesting a poll about the matter, even leaving comments on the photos in the Toy Fair coverage.

Seeing as how there are a significant amount of none votes, at the least it could have raised an "eyebrow" so to speak with SSC.
    Really, is 15% "significant"? I get more negative responses when I do a LEGO poll.

I DID want to get SSC stuff until I heard of the exclusives practice. That completely blew it for me. So, why not have our collective voices be heard. Many people like SSC, but it shouldn't all be honey either. Sometimes the other side of things needs to be taken account to have an understanding of the whole viewpoint.
    Why? What does the exclusive really affect? You miss out on a single solitary accessory. That's your beef, for others it's a low run of regular edition pieces, others it's the designs of the heads, others it's the price, so by simply voting "none" are your voices really being heard or are they just yelling incoherently? We have threads about all those issues in the SSC forum, I've *started* some of them, but the bottom line is that is not what this poll is about, this poll is simply about how many of them SSC collectors have preordered so far. It's not this poll's responsibility to make a public statement to Sideshow about the perceived issues with their line.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal
    Selling out in a matter of hours says that they GROSSLY underestimated the desire for the product. They could have made much more from this instead of limiting it to what they did. Yeah, I realize the poll is about the collectors and the site, blah blah. But the free market research is a by-product of discussion from these boards that can only help to serve I DID want to get SSC stuff until I heard of the exclusives practice. That completely blew it for me. .........................
    All I'm trying to say is that SSC lost customers before they started being customers becuase of the way they did things.
    (J/K Tycho)
    -Sal
    I agree. I gave up on the 12inch line when I couldn't get through to intially order online. I eventually got offered their waiting list for the 12 inch but turned them down. The way they handled it really turned me off to collecting these. I even cancelled the rest of my orders for the 1/4 after getting Luke and Han. Vader was about to ship and I cancelled him/Grievous/Ben/Leia in the 1/4 format.

They certainly lost me as a customer and I collect everything SW.

I'll give you my whole run-down:

Exclusive Luke Skywalker - 0 (I was involved in a family medical emergency)
    Regular Luke Skywalker - 1
    Exclusive Anakin Skywalker - 1
    Regular Anakin Skywalker - 1
    Exclusive Obi-Wan Kenobi - 1
    Regular Obi-Wan Kenobi - 1
    Exclusive Kit Fisto - 1
    Regular Kit Fisto - 2 (I finally realized that the limit is 2 on the regulars)
    Exclusive Bespin Han Solo - 1
    Regular Bespin Han Solo - 2

And in the off chance that you want to include LOTR:

Exclusive Aragorn as Strider - 1
    Regular Aragorn as Strider - 1

And by Monday afternoon I intend to add:

Exclusive Legolas - 1
    Regular Legolas - 2
    Exclusive Mace Windu - 1
    Regular Mace Windu - 2 (How cool is the cut-off hands thing)

So...19 total (hopefully) after Monday. (I don't expect you to change the poll)

DAAAAAANG!!! I dunno if I'd put you as "9" because you didn't get Exclusive Luke and we'd be counting them by character, or "10" because that's the max I made the poll go. What did you vote before DC?

Side question: When does Legolas go on preorder? I want to get him but only got into the line a couple days ago.

EDIT: Never mind, found it, this Friday. Han last Friday, Mace on Monday, Legolas Friday, it's madness!!!
    Last edited by JediTricks; 02-15-2006 at 01:37 PM.