Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Renting audiobooks -- SW and otherwise

I've never been interested in audiobooks until pretty recently, but I've come to realize they can keep one awake on very long drives. And I think they could be useful to revisit older SW books on such drives, or at other times when I ordinarily wouldn't be able to actually read.

However, unlike the actual books, I can't see any value with owning them once I've listened to them. And they're hella expensive, especially given that a lot of them are only available in abridged editions.

I know there are a lot of rental-type places around. Almost too many, to be honest. Can anyone recommend one that's reliable, has reasonable terms, and offers a great selection (as in complete or really close to complete) of SW audiobooks? Or even a place where they can be purchased in MP3 format for reasonable rates?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Try your local library, while I doubt they would have MP3's they probably have books on cd and tape. I've listened to quite a number of books this way.

I have AOTC on tape...my cousins gave it to me...he bought it used for $10...which would be the way to go if you could find a place that had them...but it's a little hard to take when the narrator has to try to imitate Yoda's voice...but it's a good way to pass time on the road.

Something that's really good to listen to are the National Public Radio Dramas of SW, ESB and ROTJ. I've listened to them over and over again, kinda like I watch the movies and I never get bored. I even fall alseep to them sometimes and I definitely take them when I go on long drives and when I commuted back and forth to college. Audio books are fun fun fun!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic
    Something that's really good to listen too are the National Public Radio Dramas of SW, ESB and ROTJ. I've listened to them over and over again, kinda like I watch the movies and I never get bored. I even fall alseep to them sometimes and I definitely take them when I go on long drives and when I commuted back and forth to college. Audio books are fun fun fun!
    Good call, those tapes/cd's are a great listen!

'Ox "loaned" me her Radio Dramas (permanently ) on CD and they are indeed fantastic.

Chux, I've gotten a few from the local library as well and they are definitely worth a listen, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    'Ox "loaned" me her Radio Dramas (permanently ) on CD and they are indeed fantastic.
    What did I tell you the other day Caesar?!? Its not a loan its a "copy for 'Ox's personal archives that are being stored off site."

Chux, I've gotten a few from the local library as well and they are definitely worth a listen, I agree.
    I totally forgot about that I'm gladded you liked 'em and thanks for storing them for me, you know I really appreciate it!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Absolutely m'lady, like JimJam said if you ever lose your copies out in Cali I have your backups stored safely in Wisconsin. I'd say that's a reasonable and safe distance.

Absolutely m'lady, like JimJam said if you ever lose your copies out in Cali I have your backups stored safely in Wisconsin. I'd say that's a reasonable and safe distance.
    And if something happens to the backups here in Wi the master copies are still safe a few thousand miles away.