Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sideshow: To Open or Not To Open?

That is the question...

My SS Exclusive Jedi Luke is on the way and I am debating whether or not to open the exclusive version because I can only afford one of each (actually, I can't really afford them at all but you only live once...)

I also have a Toys McCoy Indiana Jones 12" still mint in box that I purchased 6 years ago for several hundred dollars and I have been afraid to open it. I really want to display them out of the box and pose them but even in the box they still look cool. I will probably never sell them but they are still a considerable investment as a collectible. What to do?

That's a tough one. I ordered the exclusive Han and I want to open it, but I may keep it sealed. I also ordered the regular version of Obi-Wan because I know that I want that one to open. I'll probably open all of them though.

I'd say just hang on to it for a bit at first and decide later.

From what has been shown on the production blog and talked about all over the various boards, it seems like Sideshow is trying something different with the packaging of their SW12" line. The figure will be "encased" in a clamshell-style package that is inside the actual box...no wires or rubberbands creasing clothing and straining limbs for the sake of shipping. Hopefully that means one can remove the figure and play with it or pose it and then put it back in the box realitively unharmed. That's the idea anyway....
    Now will there be tape seals on the box to break/cut? Probably. Are the accessories packaged in the same clamshell-type package or are they blisterpacked requiring cutting to open? Unknown. But alot of folks (myself included) should have the answers soon when Luke arrives.
    Now, I'm not buying two of each of these figures...it's just too expensive. As for your question/point about investments...well, I'll grant that these aren't in the same overproduced league as mass-market toys so that after-market demand for certain characters may remain high for a time, but personally I can't see getting figures produced with this kind of artistry and care to leave it sealed up and untouched (unless your sole intention is for investment). I can't wait to test these figure's posability and enjoy displaying them. If it wrecks my "investment potential"...so be it. I'm buyin' em for me...

I have the regular 12" Luke on order and I'll probably open him. I do have the Exclusive Obi-Wan on order and I'm also debating opening it or not.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I have bought a lot of Sideshow stuff in the past (Monty Python, Civil War, and Hellboy) and I thought I would leave them all in the package. Well about a month and a half ago I decided "screw it" I couldn't stand looking at these things in the box anymore so I opened them. I have no regrets these things are too cool looking not to be opened. However the Star Wars stuff will probobly have the highest resale value out of all Sideshow lines
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's Beer!! Hooray Beer!!![/FONT]

I plan on opening all of mine as well. I'm just hoping the empty package looks as good on display. It's nice they designed the package with openers in mind, too.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

I guess I feel like breaking the seal is like breaking the seal with the Holy Grail. I dunno. Guess I'll have to decide when it comes. Why do these decisions always have to be so difficult?

guys, the only thing that differentiates the exclusive from the regular version is just a little accessory.... the figures are both the same, why wouldnt you open it? Also if youre not in it for resale value, then there is no harm in opening it either. My only problem is finding a suitable display cabinet to house them all. Once I do that they will all be opened but i will definitely be keeping the boxes in as best condition as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jedibear
    Now will there be tape seals on the box to break/cut? Probably. Are the accessories packaged in the same clamshell-type package or are they blisterpacked requiring cutting to open? Unknown. But alot of folks (myself included) should have the answers soon when Luke arrives...
    I'm hoping there is no tape. It always looks tacky. Especially with age. I don't see why they couldn't figure out a way to package Luke etc. without tape on the box. I've got 2 on order. The regular luke because I missed the Exclusive, put my name on the waiting list and got an Excl. I will definitely open the Regular one now.

I'm 7 for 7 and I'm going to open every single exclusive figure. I don't think the value will drop too much, but I really can careless about that. Just think if you don't open them you wont be able to put them in awesome poses and put the Exclusive Item in hand.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)