Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    That is SO INCREDIBLY STUPID!!! Just film a full season across 3 or 4 episodes, the shooting schedule would be the same and they can edit them into a full 13 hours which will satiate the audience better.

Seems like the whole thing is unraveling.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Watched the two parter last weekend. Thought it was a good story ARC. I liked it.

Havent caught this weeks yet, but will be watching it tonight or something.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Had some time to kill before I do what I need to do so I watched Blink. Cool freakin epsiode. Great stuff. Anyone else catch this episode?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I watched gridlock again last night. love that episode. Novice Hame rocks. Not quite sure why Brannigans lady had given birth to kittens though. surely they'd be crossbreed cat/humans too? meh.

if only those mood patches were real.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    Had some time to kill before I do what I need to do so I watched Blink. Cool freakin epsiode. Great stuff. Anyone else catch this episode?
    I've got it on tape. I'll try and watch tonight.

Blink was most impressive, the first half is dead-on business, right down to leaving the Weeping Angels creepy and unseen. The second half of the episode falters a little, seeing the angels' faces didn't work for me that well, it just took away from their menace, and the way the Doctor does the easter eggs was fairly disappointing - anybody could have read that script at any time, and it didn't answer how that "duck!" thing from the beginning came into play. Still, I liked enough of it, and Sally wasn't a bad character, if it hadn't wrapped up her storyline at the end I wouldn't have minded her as a companion. I was sooooo glad that they didn't 2-parter this though, the final answer came on pretty late but paid off just as well now as if it had taken another friggin' episode to flesh out.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sally was a good character, I liked her. Hopefully she can appear in another episode, somewhere down the line, as she gave the Doctor the papers while he was on another mission, so maybe she pops up again

Something that bothers me a lot about Dr. Who is how little we see of the Tardis interior. In the 2005 christmas special we got to see one shot of the doctos extensive wardrobe chamber with a huge spiral staircase and many levels of galleries housing his clothes. it's an impressive sight. It just begs the question why don't we see more areas like that?

In the classic Who show the secondary control room was established. and we had the big interior doors into the control room. Not to me, those big doors didn't lead directly to the extrerior doors but served more like an airlock or lead into a corridor down to the exterior doors. yet in the new who the exterior doors lead straight into the control room. which looks kinda cheap.

Now considering that the Tardis is supposed to be flown by seven time lords one would imagine some sort of crew quarters around somewhere. Or a library of the books the doctor so loves. a room full of artefacts the doctor has picked up on his travels. maybe even an observatory or a locked room containing a way to see into the vortex.
    any number of differing chambers.

There's also the fact that the new doctor has mentioned that the tardis is grown not built. This suggests an organic form and the current tardis looks very much constructed. there's no organic feel to it at all. To me it all feels wrong and it's been niggling at me ever since we first saw Christopher Eccleston inside the tardis.

Now, the Gallifreyans design ethos seems to be based upon a series of curves and circles. a circle being the most basic of shapes or forms. The tardis has always had the roundels in the control room walls for example and the vortex is pretty much like a tube as we see it when the tardis is in flight.

So I was lying in bed this morning as you do imagining an organic tardis where the walls and the structure very much resemble muscle tissue and bone ribs. things like air vents resemble membranes, gratings resemble sinews stretched across each other. A living ship. But not like Moya in farscape. I'm thinking really fibrous, the walls of the control room looking like the interior of something like a stomach, nodules and bumps and pits. a complete re-imagining and of the control console too. it's always had the same basic form. which is machine like. so instead of the rising and falling vortex manipulator mechanism i'd have something like a heart with valves and tubes and fluids coursing through the tubes. tendril like chords rooted into the floor of the room and the ceiling.
    Yes there would still be a need for some sort of manual controls but I think that would be more a case of touching specific nodules around the console. bumps and recesses, stroking and teasing the console with sensory control rather than mechanical.
    displays like the exterior viewer would appear inside blister like bubbles. kind of holographic if you like but just floating images inside a fluid filled blister bubble.

Now obviously I can't do anything to influence the production team on the show, but given the way RTD describes the tardis regularly as organic, it just seems to me that the design team have seriously fouled up with their set. it's been said it's supposed to represent a coral like formation in the struts and beams and console but to me it always looks like what it is - fibreglass sections around an internal support frame. the presense of construction steel floor gratings and railings seems at odds with the notion of a grown ship. Although it's fair to say they've been added afterwards, it still looks slipshod rather than the work of a great race of beings. I was imagining that when the doctor moves from one chamber to the next the doorway would behave much like a human's vocal folds pull apart or much like the aesophagus and have a retracting muscular action. almost as though the doctor is swallowed by the ship. And as the ship is time and dimensions in space and in space there's no up or down, the doctor would be walking around the ship like it was an M C Escher designed thing.

The tardis it has also been established is telepathic. so therefore a chamber with no floor or walls or ceiling could exist. where a crew member could literally float and communicate commands or instructions to the tardis by thought. or the tardis could show a crew member events from their mind, displayed as a sort of movie. Time lords remember everything. the vortex encompasses everything. a way to view everything without needing a laptop attached to the console or mechanisms inside an organic ship seems perfectly logical to me.

Ok so the BBC has a meagre budget for this show. given how strong it's become and how safe in the schedules, rethinking the tardis and having more scope within that setting seems logical also. we're not always going to be treated to alien landscapes and monsters. it gets boring seeing yet more earth bound episodes. The tardis is in almost every episode. it's a star of the show and should be so much more than it is.

So that said, what's your thoughts?

I'm not so hooked on the TARDIS that I have to see every one of its infinite rooms. Could they do a little more in there? Yes. Is it utterly necessary? No. They had a bunch of rooms in the Fox TV movie version, it got kinda stale and repetitive. A little of the TARDIS goes a long way as it is.

As for the organic issue, the interior lattice of the control room is organic branch shapes. And I don't like the idea of another organic ship interior, Moya was as close to bearable as that gets, but I've seen the idea used in scifi a few times and it's always a big letdown for me, monotone and a little disgusting. Ever watch Lexx? That's basically what you're describing as far as I can tell, and I found it acceptable there ONLY because it was a campy series.

i think colour plays a large part. and i probably didn't explain my 'vision' properly. be that as it may, I guess I'm just saying i hate the way the BBC skimps on cost where the centrepiece is concerned. it's never got past that 'set, in a warehouse' cheapness.

which now sounds like I'm whingeing. I'm not I'm just thunking. lots of it aloud. It occurs to me that what I should do is attempt to create what I'm talking about in scale to the action figures and then photograph it. I'd draw it but my drawing skills are somewhat limited.