Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    I knew that we'd be giving the "new guy" a fair chance when we also saw him >> here recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom-like Menace
    Did you get a Jean Grey as Phoenix vibe from it?
    That's funny... my wife said that too.
    plasticfetish.net

ooh just remembered. after season one there was a brief mini episode on a telethon for childrens charities on the BBC, only about ten minutes worth but it actually follows on from the season finale. then you get the Xmas stand alone then you get season two.
    if you count the web/cellphone tardisodes prologue segments too then each episode comes in at 46/47 minutes long.
    I'm actually hoping to edit the tardisodes onto the episodes i have on my PC and add the telethon segment to the end of the season one finale.

Did i mention that I discovered that the producer of the CGI department is an old mate of mine? I was at college with him. Probably far too self important now to bother with me. Still cool though coz at theatre school he was a lousy actor. nice to see he's got somewhere in the industry though. even if its off at a tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS
    What about poor Lynda with a Y? Bless her. And jack, poor wee lamb. he lost both of them, the Doctor and Rose. She was just toying with his emotions the fickle cow .
    Jack's advice sucked, he deserves to get it for what he convinced his "troops" into doing knowing they'd blow it... plus he got the big redux (even if they did just dump him there), so maybe he'll make another run at the gang. Lynda got the short end of the stick, apparently windows in space are extremely wimpy and Daleks are full of revenge emotions over nobodies.

We had the next episode at xmas as a stand alone. Wonder if it'll be tagged onto the beginning of season two and then straight into that for you guys?
    That'd be cool, almost necessary I suppose since the season starts this fall I think.
    ooh just remembered. after season one there was a brief mini episode on a telethon for childrens charities on the BBC, only about ten minutes worth but it actually follows on from the season finale.
    7 minutes, so no way they'll air it here, I bet it'll get relegated to the DVD release.

Cool you know someone on the new show's team, especially of such importance.

Quote Originally Posted by PLM
    Did you get a Jean Grey as Phoenix vibe from it? Or was I the only one? It could have actually been kind of cool if Rose continued as an avatar of sorts for the T.A.R.D.I.S. That could have opened some interesting story opportunities if she and it shared a mind.
    I totally did get that Jean Grey/Phoenix thing out of it (not the movie version of course ). I like the idea of Rose being tied into the TARDIS as well, that could have some interesting implications - and just because it was taken out of her doesn't mean there couldn't be some change in that status in a future ep.

As for the doctor, my brothers have watched some of the second season episodes and they say he's okay. I've thought for a while I would loathe the new guy, and when they showed him at the end of the episode my first thought was, "He sucks." And just as I thought that, my roommate walked into the room, took one look at him and said, "He sucks." He looks vaguely like Richard Hammond from Top Gear (speaking of British shows this American really wants to watch and can't) and Braniac. Dude, if Hamster were Dr. Who, I would have to watch that. T.A.R.D.I.S. would be a Porsche though. . . .
    I got the same feeling, but tried not to voice it. Ultimately I thought "too young, too fraile/thin" though. I see what you mean with Richard Hammond, Top Gear was on the Discovery Channel for a while, it was great. I caught a few eps of Brainiac on G4 at my sister's place recently (my cable company doesn't have it), not as good.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ooooh so want to respond but can't or i'd spoil things for you.

I've been digging up older versions of the theme music. adaptations, terrible renditions, really odd but entrancing renditions. The version from the '80's is quite funny. loads of synth sounds and slightly funked up. I still like the original theme best though even if it is a bit slow. the whole sound of it is haunting and spooky and really set the tone for the show. which i tended to watch from behind a cushion or the sofa.
    The new theme all orchestral actually seems a bit flat to me. like the theme to star trek DS9 was really dull. Dirge like.

it's weird hearing you talk bout british shows like top gear. I dunno, it's so british it seems odd that it would air over there. but then the show format is global really, just the presenters are british. I hate Jeremy Clarkson though. I think his head is somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Hammond is cool though.

it's weird hearing you talk bout british shows like top gear. I dunno, it's so british it seems odd that it would air over there. but then the show format is global really, just the presenters are british. I hate Jeremy Clarkson though. I think his head is somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Hammond is cool though.
    Top Gear is great. I'm angry Discovery Channel dropped it here. I'm not much of a car guy--I don't even drive--but those guys are just crazy enough to really entertain. I actually describe Jeremy Clarkson's appeal as being the fact that he's such a . . . I don't want to circumvent the filters . . . I'll say jerk. It's the epitome of the saying about television allowing you to be entertained in your home by people you wouldn't want in your home.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Probably could do with a separate thread to talk about other import shows. I'm interested in how much UK tv you guys get as compared to how much US tv we get. And moreover what you guys think about the different production values.

the whole sound of it is haunting and spooky and really set the tone for the show. which i tended to watch from behind a cushion or the sofa.
    What is that? I read that somewhere that a shared British experience of watching Dr Who while hiding behind the couch. It's a little freaky but I never found it THAT scary... of course, I didn't pay good attention either.

The new theme all orchestral actually seems a bit flat to me. like the theme to star trek DS9 was really dull. Dirge like.
    Wow, really? I don't see that at all, I like the new theme, it's exciting and "different", very sci-fi interesting.

When they aired it here, they had bumps they shot special for the US audience, explaining why Jaguar wasn't releasing their diesel in the States, and such. It was weird, same cast and a different group of audience members standing around like they always do just for "you in the States".

Jeremy Clarkson is interesting, I think he's my favorite one because of the mix of enthusiasm and boldness and saying what he really thinks. James May is the one I think could use a personality transplant - but it was kinda sad to see him live his childhood dream of driving an Lamborghini Countach only to find out it's awful.

You know what's not global about the show? The Stig, what's the mysterious driver about and what's the name? It's kinda funny, but it feels to my American ears like there's a piece of the joke I'm not getting.

Quote Originally Posted by PLM
    Top Gear is great. I'm angry Discovery Channel dropped it here.
    Yeah, me too. I just read that they're available online the day after they air, I only wish I had my PC networked to my TV so I wouldn't have to sit in this horrid chair to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dpants
    And moreover what you guys think about the different production values.
    And that brings me back to Dr Who, before this series, I couldn't get into Dr Who, the production values on the old TARDIS especially but the show in general left me too cold, too much overlooking some cheap-looking set or creature or effect. The current series still has some stuff that could be better, but they're finally putting real effort forward and it makes it accessable I think.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

well back in the seventies we didn't have much good stuf for kids, save for space 1999 and planet of the apes. Doctor Who had spooky music and i guess it really was alien due to there being nothing like it on tv. I think the giant spiders and the rubber aliens and the daleks played on our imaginations so much because it was all we really had. and we didn't have the sophisticated movie references we do now. I mean, if we'd had stuff like Buffy back then it would have wiped the floor with Who. Or maybe we just had sadistic parents who used the monsters as bogeymen under the bed threats to get us to quiet down and sleep.

James May IS dull. he bores the pants off me but at the same time I feel sorry for him. he seems like a guy who was bullied mercilessly at school or something. he's not a natural for TV though. Hammond and Clarkson could do the show alone really....

Old Dr. Who ws always very bright. The white of the tardis bothered me. the differences betwen the studio shot stuff and the location shot stuf was too stark. with the modern cameras and VT equipment the whole show has a unified look and is far better lit. The BBC have taken a bit of an American approach and used lots of blue and amber filters. gives it a richer look. Plus Vis effects are much improved. The writers seem to be going somewhere with the overall story arc rather than the sporadic spotty patchy way they used to handle the show. The writing is looser too. Old Dr. Who was very dramatic and stagey. This new incarnation of the show is definitely more filmic. better paced, better acted, more humorous and ultimately more entertaining. It has to be or else I wouldn't be raving about it or glued to it. Or downloading every episode as it airs almost. (slight exaggeration there)

I suppose also, when faced with the daily barrage of mind numbing reality tv and depressing documentaries and samey samey tv shows, DW arrived at just the right time to give us Brits something fantastical again. pure escapism and homegrown. familiar enough to give us easy entry to the territory, and different enough to be fresh and interesting and hold our attention. The undercurrent of soap storylining with Rose and Jackie is an interesting departure from the doctor just having assistants who ask questions and do what they're told or play damsel in distress, Rose is a bit of that but also she's a fighter, strong and feisty. independent minded. the show is about her journey as much as it is the doctor's. and yeah she does damsel in distress but it's not quite as pathetic as the assistant chicks who scream a lot and acts dumb in the old old show.

have we discussed Captain Jack getting his own spin off? Torchwood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...17/torch.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...17/25634.shtml

I dunno, it seems so weird. I guess here in the US, the scary TV is never aimed towards children, so we have no concept of that kind of shared experience.

James May IS dull. he bores the pants off me but at the same time I feel sorry for him. he seems like a guy who was bullied mercilessly at school or something. he's not a natural for TV though. Hammond and Clarkson could do the show alone really....
    AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Poor James May, he's gone from "dull" to "picked on all throughout school years". I think he probably is necessary to break the high energy from the other 2 guys, keep the show from building too fast and petering out by the end. I got to admit, James May is the kind of guy most folks think of when they think of BBC television.

The writers seem to be going somewhere with the overall story arc rather than the sporadic spotty patchy way they used to handle the show. The writing is looser too. Old Dr. Who was very dramatic and stagey. This new incarnation of the show is definitely more filmic. better paced, better acted, more humorous and ultimately more entertaining. It has to be or else I wouldn't be raving about it or glued to it.
    I definitely agree, the old show felt like most of the other BBC stuff we got here, very as you put it "stagey", it seemed to work here for the older generation who were used to radio where everything was done that way, but not for the American TV generation. Luckily, while the US wasn't paying attention, it seems like British television caught up with the times - must have been all those new channels, you guys have what, 5 now? The new series feels alive and capable and not fearful that it's going to get cancelled all the time, they're willing to put their best foot forward.

Rose is interesting and not just a cardboard cutout, and the Doctor too feels more "whole", both by recognizing her strengths and also by his very alien response to situations, by seeing what the rest of us don't.

have we discussed Captain Jack getting his own spin off? Torchwood.
    No, we haven't! Boy is that a surprise! Talk about left-field. I guess the character caught on pretty well, though the cheap bastages are setting it right back in modern day Cardiff.

The modern day part bothers me more than the location. Although the location is also going to need some serious explaining. The time slot is odd too. says to me there'll be adult language and gore. Intimate physicality. Though it's been established that Captain Jack isn't fussy about who he beds. Omnisexual is how I'd describe him. or just plain slutty They'd better have Jack's ship i the new show. losing that would be a waste. As for Jack catching on, I think the episode with naked Jack and the robots was what did it. "Ladies your ratings just went up" probably true of the Dr. Who the show there. He was getting too racey for Who, which is a family show, on primetime BBC1. By the end of season one jack had become very much his own character, with his own following. He was stealing the limelight from the Doctor. Though I do think it's a shame there'll be no crossover between Who and Torchwood. I think I'd sooner have had Torchwood be a pre-watershed show that could tie in and crossover. The Torchwood organisation sounds a hell of a lot more exciting than U.N.I.T.

Changing tack - A point I thought of is if the TARDIS is a bit broken as we know it is with the chameleon circuit stuck so the outside always looks like a 1950's police telephone box, and the thing keeps ending up in odd places because the time travel mechanisms are a bit broken and unreliable too, how can the doctor keep finding his way back to the exact same estate Rose lives on? And in the same time era. That's a little incongruous. Yeah I know, I'm nitpicking. But repeated viewing does that to you.

Like Clive from season one episode one, why introduce him as a guy obsessed with the doctor and gatherer of all that data on the doctor only to then have him killed off in the second half of the episode? And if in fact he wasn't killed, because we don't see him after the Auton aims the gun and fires, why has Rose not thought to go back to him for more info about the Doctor? Considering how mysterious the doc's being with her about his past. Clive is the one character besides Rose who really knows anything about the Doctor. Just seems odd to have gone to all the trouble of creating Clive and that whole mass of data in the shed at the bottom of the garden, then deliberately have him there to be killed by the Auton outside the department store. what was all that about? Unless that data Clive collated is going to be used against the Doctor at some future point.

In the old show one of the returning foes was The Master. Who always managed to evade the Doctor when it came to being aprehended. I don't remember now if The Master was ever dealt with finally. He was a time lord and the doctor destroyed the time lords along with the daleks in the time war. but was the master there? was he destroyed too? Probably should have been after all the pantomime villain acting, but giving the doctor a foe like that, who can also travel through time and cause havoc did give the show a drive. Drawing the doctor on, feeding through story arcs. The master himself wouldn't work unless he had an upgrade like the doctor had - a modern twist, a new level of purpose. Become a greater menace to the Doctor. Rather than just a cackling charicature of a villain. I reckon a consistent foe could work though. The daleks can't keep returning, the one off episodes will start to get monster of the week-ish, after season three the doc will need something to keep the show moving forwards.