Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. CRANKYPANTS View Post
    it's getting like you can't use any words that aren't in the webster dictionary now.
    No, it's in there...
    plasticfetish.net

Ok, 1 month later, let's talk about the Doctor again...

They aired the last few eps of season 2 here in the US. "Love & Monsters" I thought was interesting but devolved into a dopey mess, and that ending was funny but kinda silly. Apparently, the villain was from a fan contest, a kid came up with the design for it, I hear it the kid was disappointed because he wanted his alien to be the size of a bus rather than a fat guy in a suit - whoops!

Then there was "Fear Her" which I think may be the worst piece of crap I've ever seen, the story was utter pap and the humor was extremely forced. Since I already knew Rose was leaving the show in the next few eps, the foreboding at the end fell flat.

Finally, Sci-Fi channel aired the 2-part season finale eps "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" back to back, but as the first ep started they gave away the HUGE twist of the Daleks being in it!!! I was livid, that would have been such an awesome surprise at the end of part 1! I was surprised to be glad to see Mickey back, that was a good twist, and although I couldn't care less about Torchwood, this was a very entertaining episode with only a modicum of deus-ex-machina at the end. The final stuff was very touching, and then the lead-in to the Christmas Special was cute. Unfortunately, we have no idea when we'll be seeing the xmas special.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

the xmas special is ok. not exeptional but ties in nicely and has some nice doctor moments. the effects are patchy but when they're good they're very good. it had a few snippets of season three tagged on the end. a nice appetite whetting. It also has a very cool practical effect that surprised me.

season one of Torchwood ends this new years eve. a double episode finale. I still think it sucks. It just doesn't know what it is. it could be great but the writing and direction are flabby and weak. The acting is part pantomime and part amateur. And considering it's supposed to be an adult show it still feels like awkward doctor who mixed with saphire and steel. mixed with cop drama. it's messy and untamed. And Captain Jacks pan sexual shenanigans are a little disturbing to say the least. (I mention that only coz it's been set up in doctor who already)
    it probably won't sit well with the moral high grounders of American society. However, it may appeal to viewers of the ghost whisperer and such shows where the oddity and implausibility are what attracts the viewer.

It'd be nice if they aired the special in advance of season 3, and it'd be nice if season 3 aired without the delay we've gotten in the first 2 seasons.

I don't remember anybody caring about Captain Jack's omnisexuality in his Who entries, but it wasn't the forefront of his character. I still have no interest in seeing Torchwood though, the concept feels exceptionally forced and silly and tacked-on, having Jack there might be what gets me to watch but I haven't heard much about it worth checking out and what we've seen of it in Dr Who was lame.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

the xmas special also explains a puzzle that remained from the previous xmas special.

about to start is the other spinoff from doctor who The Sarah Jane Adventures. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/ which is aimed squarely at kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    the xmas special also explains a puzzle that remained from the previous xmas special.

about to start is the other spinoff from doctor who The Sarah Jane Adventures. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/ which is aimed squarely at kids.
    Apparently that is blocked to people outside of the U.K. I was redirected to this URL - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/nonuk/nonuk.shtml.

I got the same. How is it that after all these years, Sarah Jane Smith finally gets her spinoff? Granted, the original was K-9 and Friends, but it's the same either way.

something to do with a big lunch with Russel T. Davies and the producer of Dr. Who I reckon. shame about the site. maybe you could try going to the official BBC site and following links through to the doctor who site and then to the sarah jane mini site?

anyway. They've given sarah jane some kid assistants and given the show a similar atmosphere and production values as doctor who, so at least it's a step up from K9 and friends. Although it's very derivative from the clips I've seen. And no glimpse of K9. Though he's getting his own show too. albeit as a computer generated souped up version. So unless the doctor gets a new K9 that's also CGI or they do something to update the original K9's hardware, we may not see that particular version of K9 we all know and - know again.

well Torchwood finishes tomorrow i think and The sarah jane adventures starts a day later or a couple of days later. no idea when the K9 show starts though.

thinking about it, from being a lame duck consigned to the archives, Dr. Who and three spinoffs isn't bad going for a resurrection. I may hate the guy with a passion but Russel T. has definitely breathed life into the old beast again.

missed sarah jane coz i was eating my dinner but i heard it drifting through from the living room. it sounded a bit dull and the incidental music was very doctor who. but the main theme was awful. I'll try and catch the next episode for a better review.

gonna go watch the season finale of torchwood now.

Just saw the Daleks in Manhattan episode last night. The guy they met in Hooverville sounded familiar. Then it finally dawned on me that it was Captain Panaka! Indeed, the credits confirm it was Hugh Quarshie.