Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    the cyberman is missing his lower right arm and lower legs, with wires and stuff exposed. quite cool. they should do a decent exploding cyberman though. or one with an exploding head. as in the finale to season two. i kept thinking of Bender

oh yeah the tardis bank doors are a bit odd. they've got the molded stoppers on the bottom too. There again the doors are rarely fully open. and the real prop has a big painted backdrop inside. which the flight control tardis also has. won't have it for a couple more weeks yet. the whooshing has to wait.

I just 6 epsiodes from season one. They are pretty good and Rose is better than Martha. I didnt like Eccleston though as the Doctor. I thnk Tennant is more a goofy nerd type. Eccleston seemed like a tough guy.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I like both. Since Eccelston was the first one I was familiar with, it was kind of hard to see him go. It took a couple episodes to get used to Tennant, but he's very good as well for the very reasons you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I like both. Since Eccelston was the first one I was familiar with, it was kind of hard to see him go.
    Which is probably exactly why they did the switch... to get new Doctor Who fans up to speed on the whole regeneration idea.

I've liked them both. Eccleston was intense and very believable. You bought the idea of him being "The Doctor" right away. Tennant has been great also. I've been surprised by how much of an "action hero" he's become. Not something the Doctor has been known for, but he pulls it off.

I thought Rose was a very good sidekick, and was a perfect vehicle for getting The Doctor to open up a bit. But the nice thing about Martha is that he doesn't need to spell everything out to her. With her medical background, The Doctor can sort of move past having to over-explain a lot of the science behind things.

I liked Eccelston because he wasn't the same old Doctor stereotype, I grew up watching my grandmother watch Tom Baker as the Doctor when they aired 'em on PBS, and he was fine for what he was, but it really felt like everything after that had to be some riff on that. Eccelston however brought a freshness to it, a lively bounce that Baker had but a different take on the universe, one that was much more "above it all". Even when he faced death on the occasions that he did, he had a little glint in his eye and smile on his face, like he knew something we didn't about the next level, and he could take care of himself even throughout all that, and it made him much more interesting for me.

Tennant is fine, I didn't really get him at first because they were trying too hard to get him and Rose up to speed again, but once he got into his own shoes it worked too, it's just that he takes these things more personally.

Anyway, last night was "42", and in some ways it was an enjoyable episode, but in others it felt very hackneyed compared to the last 2 seasons. The way the Doctor did anything to save Martha, taking the evil into himself, Martha on the "important but not that important" side mission, and the lost TARDIS and the majority of the main plot feeling way too similar to The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit from last season.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

'42' was a very weak episode IMHO. The ships captain is incredibly weak and girly stupid, the crew seem to be fairly useless. i'd have let them drigt into the sun to be honest. In a way I'd rather they had fewer episodes in a season than put out dross. thankfully th really good episodes are really good at helping you forget the bad ones. when you realise what the team are capable of. It's just a shame they don't a longer production schedule and more cash to throw at the show. it really could be better in a lot of ways.
    it needs to be scarier too. longer stories across four episodes. more depth to the stories and characters. it's like they only put effort into the mid season episodes and the season finale where cash is concerned and the rest is just padding. 13 episodes for the sake of 13 episodes. where five might do it or whatever.

David tenant has been a decent Dr. aside from his grimacing habit and habit of showing his lower teeth constantly. He clearly relishes being the Dr. and portrays aspects of past Dr.s within his performance quite subtley. He's got more of a trendy scientist feel about him, A kind of Steve Urwin approach to alien life. the anger and bitterness that eccleston gave the doctor is gone and instead you've got a doctor who is coming to terms with being alone and looking for someone to share his life. he has a reason to seek companionship. he's lost Rose and found martha. but martha is different. just a companion. but a good one. her company helps him get over loss. become strong again. get back to simply being the doctor and doing what the doctor does. sorting out the universes. which is what he should get back to. and stop faffing around on earth.

I agree. 42 was a bit of a bore.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    '42' was a very weak episode IMHO. The ships captain is incredibly weak and girly stupid, the crew seem to be fairly useless. i'd have let them drigt into the sun to be honest. In a way I'd rather they had fewer episodes in a season than put out dross. thankfully th really good episodes are really good at helping you forget the bad ones. when you realise what the team are capable of. It's just a shame they don't a longer production schedule and more cash to throw at the show. it really could be better in a lot of ways.
    Coming from a US perspective, if they had less shows, there wouldn't be a show at all. Most of our shows have seasons that run 22 to 26 episodes, only a few cable series run 13 eps, and nothing is like how Absolutely Fabulous went - 37 episodes across 12 years?!? Granted, you have a point that putting out filler eps is kinda pointless, but I can't imagine seeing any less of the series than we already do.

it needs to be scarier too. longer stories across four episodes. more depth to the stories and characters. it's like they only put effort into the mid season episodes and the season finale where cash is concerned and the rest is just padding. 13 episodes for the sake of 13 episodes. where five might do it or whatever.
    I don't care about the scary aspect, I know that's a big deal for you folks across the pond and your kiddies watching from behind the sofa, but that's not what attracts me to it. Longer stories would be nice, we're getting a lot of anthology-style characters lately, the ones that are broadly-drawn and quirky in order to fit the short format.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The idea of longer story lines or serial episodes is more in keeping with the classic Doctor Who anyway isn't it? I wouldn't mind if they pushed for more episodes in a season. Hopefully the shows popularity, and that of Torchwood, will help them to justify a bigger budget as time goes on.

(God JT, you mentioned Ab Fab... they played the first episode on BBC America the other day... such a great show.)