Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?Drwh2012

That is a petition someone started to have David Tennant light the Olympic Flame in London for the 2012 Olympics like the episode of Fear Her. It probably will not work, but it wouldnt hurt to try.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

It's a nice thought but I think a sportsperson will bear the torch. Probably one of our elder statesmen. an ex olympian most likely. it's just the nature of the event and the organisers. I could imagine davey T's grin being even more insanely huge though if he was picked. a head splitter grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jargo View Post
    It's a nice thought but I think a sportsperson will bear the torch. Probably one of our elder statesmen. an ex olympian most likely. it's just the nature of the event and the organisers. I could imagine davey T's grin being even more insanely huge though if he was picked. a head splitter grin.
    Seb Coe is on the organizing committee or something isn't he? If so, that probably wouldn't be proper to be the one to actually light the torch, though he should probably be one of the final torch bearers. Perhaps Daley Thompson, 1984 Olympic decathlon champion.

i was thinking of someone older. a wrinkly crumbly. like maybe someone who was at the games in the 1950's. drag em out of their retirement home and shove them in a sponsored tracksuit and let them pretend to jog through the stadium while actually being manipulated via wires from above. and to distract from the wires a pageant of any other just about still breathing athletes with sporting pedigrees following on behind. while there are dancers in the centre wearing skimpy outfits. the whole RAH RAH GREAT BRITAIN!!!!!!! thing.

haha that sounds so cynical. it's not meant to be it's just a sort of sad recognition that britain isn't posessed of a very forward thinking sort of person where management is concerned. and I expect our ceremonies to be lacking the oomph the games need unless they employ someone like Saatchi and Saatchi to spice things up.

Perhaps Roger Bannister then. He never got an Olympic medal, finishing 4th in 1952. He became the first to break 4 minutes in 1954, but retired before the next Olympics to concentrate on medicine.

My problem with this is it's from the suckiest Doctor Who episode in recent memory, but at the same time, it does have something uniquely British that the world is starting to wake up to.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

see what the games needs is spectacle like this beast that will be parading round the city of Liverpool this weekend. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1642189.ece put a Who spin on it and throw in some dancers with spiders on their backs and bingo!

37 tons??? Hell no I wouldn't allow that to dangle above my head in the city. Looks very cool though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Gonna go see it sometime over the next three days when it's on the move. hopefully. I'll try and get some pics. takes 12 people to operate and they're all strapped into it.

here's a pic someone else took. I stayed away today because there's torrential rain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_6611-tp.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	18182  

ok i'm back from Liverpool where i braved the ****ing rain to take some video of this thing on the moveI managed to get into a position where the thing was right above me and i almost got squished by one of the legs. just to bring you footage. and none of that cellphone camera rubbish either. my other half took some photos but he's inexperienced and they mostly came out shaky and blurred however there are a couple of stills. I shall be attempting to get the video uploaded somewhere over the weekend if I'm able.