Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    I must have missed that line then. I still have it DVRed so eventually I will watch it again.

Now, as to the real business. The End of Time.

Part 1 was ok, I enjoyed the lighter tone aspects, but once we got into the regular business, it got a tad mixed. The Master is a little too much of a gimmicky badguy. I like Donna's grandpa as a companion. The end result felt really standard Doctor Who, and then we got the Time Lords and it was "wow!" for that moment.

Part 2, I don't know how to feel. I appreciate that they kept it somewhat light until the end without feeling too trivial, then did the ol' switcheroo over and over and over. The final endgame for the main players was interesting, but never felt like it fully paid off on the dynamics between these folks, although I did love hearing finally what went down in the Time War with the Doctor. And I think that was the Doctor's mother, that was interesting. I loved the intensity of the Doctor's final sacrifice, even if it was painfully cliched, that was played beautifully despite being a total gimmick and cheap. And if Wilf had felt that way, he could have hit a button to lock out the Doctor. But still. I think the one thing that rubbed me as "too damned far" was the Doctor's last line, it was delivered with such earnest portrayal that I hated it, not fair at all to the audience to play them that way. The new guy is so young and goofy, but hopefully it'll work.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Watched Eleventh Hour last night off of Youtube in HD (I would have waited 2 more weeks for it to air on BBC America, but my stupid cable company doesn't have the channel in HD so I figured I'd catch the first one in HD).

The episode worked, some of it was mixed but it got away with most of it better than it deserved perhaps. Matt Smith is an oddball, he's a little similar to the lighter side of Tennant's Doctor, but without the brooding or looks, so it works for him. The episode borrows noticeably from Moffat's other Who stories, specifically Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, and The Empty Child, and the trailer at the end promises to follow up on Silence in the Library, so hopefully he's got more to say than just riffs off those. Karen Gillan is quite likable as the newest Companion, she has a lovely look that seems just right, not too model-esque, somehow inquisitive and a little mischievous, and her personality is snippy without pushing it too far (except 1 moment that was too obviously a creation for the story, but it gets by).

The trailer had a bit of interesting stuff beyond River Song, they're just flashes and glimpses but British Military Daleks and WW2-era fighter planes shooting lasers in space has promise. Vincent Van Gogh seems fairly not unhappy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it. I've been a Doctor Who fan for a long time. Its good to hear some positive reviews of the new guy, I think that Tennant was one of the best Doctors, so Matt Smith has a lot to live up to.

I think it's going to be hard for the first 30 minutes or so for Tennant die-hards to get used to Matt Smith, because as I said, they share some of that goofiness for their versions. I thought Tennant was great, but I also thought Eccleston was fantastic. Smith I feel like is going to be a wildcard, he could be the best Doctor yet because it feels natural for him to be not entirely human in his behavior, but he could get wound up in Tennant's shadow and that would make it frustrating.

I suspect Smith will play well towards the kid demographics, without the brooding and Atlas-with-the-world-on-his-shoulders attitude, he is a little more approachable from a young perspective, he's basically not as mature. But that's not a boon, it's a challenge IMO to the writers.

"Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol" was awesome! Amy looks super hot in that Police uniform!

I can't wait until the new season starts!

Merry Christmas!
    May the force be with you.

Ah, I did not realize it was on. I see it is being replayed later, so I shall DVR it.

I did look for it in my on screen guide a while back and didn't see anything at the time. However, I did see a listing for an episode from the first season back in 1963. I forgot about it, though. I see that later tonight there are a couple half hour episodes listed, but with just a generic description. It appears to be on a PBS station in Tacoma - http://www.kbtc.org/. According to their schedule, the episodes showing tonight are parts 3 and 4 of "An Unearthly Child", the first episode of the series. It looks like the next episodes that will air will be from "The Edge of Destruction".

BBC America ran a bunch of episodes yesterday finishing off with "The Pandorica Opens" and "The Big Bang" then into "A Christmas Carol".

May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    BBC America ran a bunch of episodes yesterday finishing off with "The Pandorica Opens" and "The Big Bang" then into "A Christmas Carol".

I'll watch the Christmas one later today. I'm also interested in seeing how that old one is. Prior to the new series, the only Doctor Who I had seen was part of an episode from the late 70's or early 80's.

So far I am enjoying the old series. I was able to catch the two episodes I missed from the first serial on Youtube (with the exception of part of one episode, but I read the synopsis on a Doctor Who reference site). I then watched the remaining two episodes that I was able to DVR. The next episode in the chronology is a 7 part serial about the Daleks, but that isn't the next one that the PBS station is going to broadcast, so I have been watching that on Youtube as well.

I like the original theme music. It is the same basic tune as the new theme, but simpler, and more eerie sounding. The Doctor is also a totally different personality. I imagine spending all the time with the human companions over the years has made him into the Doctor(s) we know from the new series.

I really liked DW:Christmas Carol, I watched it on xmas day after Bad Santa and before the most recent Futurama xmas special, the original Venture Bros xmas special, and a surprise midnight airing on KDOC of Elvira's Movie Macabre: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians!

Anyway, back to DW, it was a bit sloppy in the actual Christmas Carol aspects, but gave a decent spin to the concept by actually going back and changing the events - although the way they dealt with the brainwave changes was a total paradoxical cheat. There was a lot of heart and creativity in there, and a few cheap shots at Star Trek (a lot towards TNG, but the movie got a real beating, especially the hilarious overuse of lens flares).