Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That SJA moment where he says 507 is the SJA canon story you're talking about, and it seems to be the Doctor proverbially pulling Clyde's leg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9D-2HJMD9s
    In any event, the BBC has pretty much scrapped the notion of a 12 regeneration limit. I look forward to celebrating the 100th anniversary Special in 2063. :-)
    May the force be with you.

And the new Doctor is...Peter Capaldi.

Also watched it, Peter Capaldi is an interesting choice because he's as old as the oldest actor to play The Doctor, William Hartnell, yet he's obviously not the grandfatherly type that Hartnell was. They just showed a letter he wrote in at age 15 about Doctor Who celebrating a decade of the series back in '73, that's awesome. I do worry a little that his demand will cause roadbumps in production schedule, but it's a worthy risk, you can see his personality is already twinkling for playing this character.

Wait, so does that mean they can go back to The Fires of Pompeii and have The Doctor meet himself? I predict some written material covering that crossover.

I was definitely expecting a much more unknown actor for the role, should have known better based on the use of a primetime special broadcast live around the world for the announcement though, they don't put that kind of money into "and introducing... some guy you've never heard of!"

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, odds favored him before the big reveal, betting odds hit 5/6 and closed before the reveal. Moffat claims he considered Capaldi before Matt Smith, but said the timing just wasn't right. I loved Smith's physical comedy, he brought a real sense of energy to the character I worry Capaldi will not have, but I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Interesting note about the "home video" of Capaldi playing the Doctor. Hopefully that video will end up on the extras for the first season box set with Capaldi as the Doctor, or maybe even in the Christmas Special when he becomes the Doctor.

For me, Matt Smith's youth caused his acting to hit the wall far too early, he felt like everything was a stretch for him as an actor, and I think Capaldi's experience and natural ease to fall into a role will come through well for The Doctor. Smith's physical comedy always seemed pantomime to me, I liked the subtlety of Tennant's comedy better and that was based on Troughton who was great with that stuff - better than Tom Baker even. Unless the directing and writing are bad, I suspect Capaldi will bring a ton of energy to the part not unlike Eccleston's turn where it's easy and relaxed but with bounce, riiiiight until the moment it's FULL ON MAD DOCTOR STARING DAGGERS AND DESTROYING GALAXIES WITH A GLARE.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, Smith's stuff does get exaggerated from time to time. I am re-watching "The Fires of Pompeii" on Netfix, as I'm not familiar with Capaldi.

He was also on season 3 of Torchwood, which is a lot of Whoverse connections for a Doctor. Maybe he'll be the next Clara-type character.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Well, Smith's stuff does get exaggerated from time to time. I am re-watching "The Fires of Pompeii" on Netfix, as I'm not familiar with Capaldi.
    I'm not too familiar with him either, so I did some research. According to IMDB, he was in World War Z and played the character of "W.H.O. Doctor". Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    I'm not too familiar with him either, so I did some research. According to IMDB, he was in World War Z and played the character of "W.H.O. Doctor". Coincidence?
    Probably.

I was hoping for Christopher Lee--a Doctor who's old as dirt, but too bada** to care.
    Tommy, close your eyes.