Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Original Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy - September 12th!!

We missed a great deal during the time the forums were down. The biggest news however was the announcement of the release of the Original Unaltered Versions of the Star Wars Trilogy this coming September. While we don't know all the facts, here's the various info releases that have come out. As well the retailer advertisements and the cover art. And more. The release so far isn't without some problems (Digital Bits is claiming the OOT versions will be non-anamorphic) but it's great for those who want it. Probably everyone.
    This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
    May 03, 2006

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

That's also the day fans will be able to experience the LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game, the action-packed sequel -- filled with tongue-in-cheek humor -- to one of the best selling video games of 2005. To see the trailer to the new game from LucasArts and TT Games, click here!

Click here to order your copy of the game today. To order the first in a series of t-shirts to commemorate the return of the original unaltered trilogy, click here.
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/r...s20060503.html

And finally the cover art from the releases:
    First Look: Original Trilogy DVDs
    May 16, 2006

The Star Wars trilogy comes out for a limited time as individual movie DVDs on September 12th -- complete with the unaltered original films as bonus material -- and will be available for pre-order starting this week. This is a chance for longtime fans to re-experience the movies as they originally played during their first theatrical releases, and an opportunity for new fans to see a bit of movie history.

Each movie comes as a two-disc set -- one disc is the 2004 remastered version of the film, while the second disc is a version that captures its original theatrical presentation. For more information about this release, see the original announcement story here. StarWarsShop.com will be making Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi available for pre-order on Friday, May 12.

Here's a look at the cover art for this release. Done in the photo-montage style of previous DVD release, each movie mimics a poster design from the original theatrical campaign.
    http://starwars.com/episode-iv/relea...0516_iv_bg.jpg
    http://starwars.com/episode-iv/relea...60516_v_bg.jpg
    http://starwars.com/episode-iv/relea...0516_vi_bg.jpg

Like I said in the other room , I think the covers could be better. Specifically, I hate the use of promotional photos with different haircuts (Han and Luke suffer from this in various shots over the years of promoting the films). Also, why is ANH Han used on ESB? Reminds me of ESB Leia on ANH SE VHS.

But I'm glad to be getting them and yes I will make the purchase.

I am sick of them always using that ROTJ Luke pose for everything, it's a bad still from an action shot, his hair is always cropped into a weird cut, the lightsaber is always wrong, it's time to dump that loser photo and get with a new one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I am sick of them always using that ROTJ Luke pose for everything, it's a bad still from an action shot, his hair is always cropped into a weird cut, the lightsaber is always wrong, it's time to dump that loser photo and get with a new one.
    If they are always using that Luke pose then it SHOULD be used on this latest release as well since this is going back to how the movies were first shown.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    If they are always using that Luke pose then it SHOULD be used on this latest release as well since this is going back to how the movies were first shown.
    They are using it, for the ROTJ cover, it looks like crap, the lightsaber blade is especially cheap here with some badly-photoshopped glow-rays it's never had before - and the sad part is that I know that's an improvement over the original version of the still. See, they're trying to take movie still and promotions stills and mock up a cover that looks MODERN while reminding one of a movie poster, but we see a lot of this on the internet from fans and oftentimes they do a better job.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Boooooooooooooo!!!! (don't we have a "thumbs down" smilie???)
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

So ...

the second disc is a version that captures its original theatrical presentation.

is this before or after the clean up and restore?? I don't want the theatrical vhs versions on DVD, i wanted the restored theatrical versions without all the new scenes...

fyifoff, you're getting the laserdiscs on DVD.

I did a test run of what these OGOTDVDs are going to look like on my widescreen TV last night during the full screen HBO showing of ROTS...oddly enough, it went to Widescreen when the credits started and since I had my TV set to 4:3 for the sake of seeing how ROTS looked in Fullscreen, well those credits were a preview of what's to come with the OGOT. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, the screen size is definitely smaller but considering I won't watch the OG all that often, I think I'll get by with these new editions.

I still wish they were doing anamorphic but meh, I'll live.