Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
    Thoughts on the finale?

As much as I loved this show I have to say the finale was weak. I was fine with it until Tracy got sick and Ted asked Robin out. Although the kids were right the whole story was about him having the hots for Robin and their mother wasn't in it much.

I loved the Ghostbusters reference and iirc Tracy was the name of the stripper? from the first season, when the kids heard that they freaked out so it was a nice tie in in that sense.

IMHO the episode could have ended and I would've been just fine with everything except the mom dying and asking Robin out bit.

I thought by having Ted end up with Robin, they made the Mother, and the whole premise of the show, trivial. While it was a "cute" twist; it was not something that should have been done, especially considering the lead in of the mothers relationship this entire season. All season, they made the mother an important, integral part of the group only to turn it into a meaningless, secondary objective. They turned the mothers death into an afterthought, which I was kind of glad for considering it was the series finale. Even the "how I met your mother" part, while well done, was reduced to "but it's Robin".

Now that I think about it though, they hinted at the end result all season long. I guess I was too busy looking forward to the meeting to see it at the time, but about midway through last nights episode, I said, "Ted's going to end up with Robin".

Tracy was the name of the stripper.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Very disappointed with how it ended. Future Ted wasn't Bob Saget. You can't hint for 9 seasons that future Ted had somehow become Bob Saget (possibly via some "futuristic plastic surgery technique" after maybe having an identity crisis and/or becoming grief stricken over the mother's death) and not make future Ted Bob Saget. I guess that is why they didn't call the show "How I became Bob Saget"

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Even the "how I met your mother" part, while well done, was reduced to "but it's Robin".
    Future Ted: "You see kids, this story I've been telling you was indeed about how I met your mother; your "NEW" mother. I'm marrying your aunt Robin."
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I read articles and fan comments and asked my wife about the ending before I had a chance to watch. I was prepared for a horrible ending.

When I did watch, I found it to be decent. Let's face it, we're never gonna see another Newhart-type finale. That's the gold standard. I laughed more than I thought.

Everyone was expecting happily forever after for Ted and the mother. It didn't happen. It had been hinted at for weeks, and we tried to deny the possibility. Yeah, I feel a little cheated there but you could say Ted had the love of his life with Tracy, and asking/dating Robin again makes him happy.

My wife had a real hard time why Ted and the mother waited for so long to get married, since Ted wanted to marry some of his other prospected mothers at the drop of a hat. I didn't. MY reply: they're together and they're happy. That's all that matters.

Really like Cristin, the mother, as an actress. Her interaction with the gang was great, but I left like she was very underused this season. She could've popped up in a few more episodes. I will have to be on the lookout for her.

Marshall got his judge's position, and everything's worked out for him and Lilly.

The Robin-Barney divorce in the first 15 minutes...well, after building it up for an entire season was disappointing, but not surprising. Robin's been career-focused since day-one, and Barney was too much of a free-spirit until #31. The baby scene was touching. I got a little verklempt.

Liked how some of the flashbacks or well-remembered references/scenes were worked in: slutty pumpkin, hanging chad, the blue french horn.

From the stuff I've read, the creators and writers had the idea all along that mother was dead and didn't want to budge from that. That's a shame. There could've been some interesting possibilities. And, if the show was canceled after the second season, and the potential mother had been Victoria (as planned) would she have died, too? Dunno.

We still have the reruns.

Yeah, the stripper's name was Tracy, "and that's how I met your mother" joke worked.

I hated the finale. There was some amusing stuff early on, but the first knock is that we got short-changed on the actual MEETING, it's relatively easy and quick. We could have spent a whole 22 minutes of Ted and the mother's first meeting, but instead we get a little banter about the umbrella and they talk like they already knew each other and they're out.

Once we're past that, the story tumbles and never recovers - Barney and Robin, who the last 2 seasons have been building and building and building upon, don't work and they don't work simply because they're not together more often. Then all the personal growth Barney had gets tossed out the window until cheap cliches get nailed into his forehead. Meanwhile, Robin basically gets excommunicated (like it's so damned hard to keep in touch these days, what with facebook and skype and so on) because she won't do what everybody else is doing and live in the tri-state area raising kids.

But it's really the short-shrift that the mother gets that got my hackles up. We finally get the big meet, and then they're "happy" because they're both Ted, but the group seems to treat her as vestigial, and then "until she got sick and died" was a half a beat. Basically, because Robin couldn't have kids, Ted simply found someone else to bear his offspring and then she became disposable so Ted could hook up with Robin again. Tracy meanwhile lives her 20s in misery because her true love died unexpectedly, then she has a few good years, then she dies and her kids don't even care, and Ted's story about her doesn't even matter because it was a subconscious ploy, that's why she wasn't in it much. In no way does this episode make the mother feel like the love of Ted's life or even a real friend in the group, she's just Ted's hanger-on until she's not needed, then cast out.

Someone else pointed out that the ending with the kids was shot back in the early seasons because the kids were getting too old to play the part forever, so they shot all the material with them early. The reason it was mentioned (besides that scene just plain ol' sucking) was that the idea they had in season 1 or 2 was a "then" idea, but since then they've grown Ted and Robin apart, they've made them different characters, and it no longer fit to have Ted still pine for Robin because they weren't really that compatible in season 8 compared to season 2.

So there was some stuff that worked in the small scale, but everything, every moment of this show ended up undercut by this finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    How I met your Father is supposed to start in the fall.
    "How I Met Your Dad", I think they changed it from "father" because that word didn't test well, it has a more negative connotation.

Quote Originally Posted by OC
    From the stuff I've read, the creators and writers had the idea all along that mother was dead and didn't want to budge from that. That's a shame. There could've been some interesting possibilities. And, if the show was canceled after the second season, and the potential mother had been Victoria (as planned) would she have died, too? Dunno.

We still have the reruns.
    This scene was filmed around that time, so I think that was the intention, have whomever die (Victoria was season 1's potential mother) and then Ted gets to hook up with Robin. I really think they should have budged from their idea as well.

I guarantee you that after the word of mouth gets out on this, the reruns are going to take a hit and a lot of fans aren't going to come back to the series. A bad series finale can ruin a show's reputation, and from what I've seen online, this is definitely shaping up to be that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    But it's really the short-shrift that the mother gets that got my hackles up. We finally get the big meet, and then they're "happy" because they're both Ted, but the group seems to treat her as vestigial, and then "until she got sick and died" was a half a beat. Basically, because Robin couldn't have kids, Ted simply found someone else to bear his offspring and then she became disposable so Ted could hook up with Robin again. Tracy meanwhile lives her 20s in misery because her true love died unexpectedly, then she has a few good years, then she dies and her kids don't even care, and Ted's story about her doesn't even matter because it was a subconscious ploy, that's why she wasn't in it much. In no way does this episode make the mother feel like the love of Ted's life or even a real friend in the group, she's just Ted's hanger-on until she's not needed, then cast out.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I thought the writers did such a good job implementing the mother (albeit underused) into the show throughout this season, that I "fell in love" with her. She was a perfect fit for both the cast, the group, and for Ted. I came away from the finale feeling terrible for her as a character, a person, and as an actress. The only thing I can say in defense of the writers is, the finale has been staring us right in the face for nine seasons. Either we didn't see it, or we didn't want to, but it was there.

Secondly, I honestly have a hard time believing that the group would fall apart like that. However, giving the fact that Lily and Marshall lived in in Italy for a year, it is plausible. They were the glue that held the group together.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

To continue what a few of you have said there is a TON of ground covered in the finale, yes it was twice the length of any other episode in the shows history BUT if you take that into consideration there is TON covered. 2030 Ted is a guy who tells a story with mind numbing detail but then he says a bit, jumps ahead a few years, says a few things, jumps ahead etc. That was not how the first 206ish episodes were told. Hell it took 23? episodes to talk about the two days leading up to the wedding.

My first full episode: I watched it. I didn't understand many of the references/inside jokes for some reason. I found the just-before-the-commercial-breaks quite sad most of the time. So my opinion doesn't count for much.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Then all the personal growth Barney had gets tossed out the window until cheap cliches get nailed into his forehead. Meanwhile, Robin basically gets excommunicated (like it's so damned hard to keep in touch these days, what with facebook and skype and so on) because she won't do what everybody else is doing and live in the tri-state area raising kids.
    The song Free Bird kind of comes to mind for me when it comes to Barney. As for Robin, the way it was told it sounds like she intentionally chose to excommunicate herself. It wasn't because she was busy or the gang were too busy and/or didn't want to keep in touch. She was intentionally avoiding them and her emotional baggage.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I'm not going to run out and buy the complete series but I would be interested to see the alternate ending.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/met-mother...223602694.html

I might have to check out the fan-edited ending, too.