Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 221 to 229 of 229
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. I thought the writers did such a good job implementing the mother (albeit underused) into the show throughout this season, that I "fell in love" with her. She was a perfect fit for both the cast, the group, and for Ted. I came away from the finale feeling terrible for her as a character, a person, and as an actress. The only thing I can say in defense of the writers is, the finale has been staring us right in the face for nine seasons. Either we didn't see it, or we didn't want to, but it was there.

    Secondly, I honestly have a hard time believing that the group would fall apart like that. However, giving the fact that Lily and Marshall lived in in Italy for a year, it is plausible. They were the glue that held the group together.
    What part was staring us in the face, the death or going back to Robin? If it's the former, I called that last year. If it's the latter, I cannot see where that groundwork was laid at all, in fact I'd say the last 5 years pretty much wrote that off.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    To continue what a few of you have said there is a TON of ground covered in the finale, yes it was twice the length of any other episode in the shows history BUT if you take that into consideration there is TON covered. 2030 Ted is a guy who tells a story with mind numbing detail but then he says a bit, jumps ahead a few years, says a few things, jumps ahead etc. That was not how the first 206ish episodes were told. Hell it took 23? episodes to talk about the two days leading up to the wedding.
    I didn't like how the show force-fed us the post-meeting story so haphazardly, but I guess I get why since it's really an epilogue. The kids surely act like the story didn't take long, maybe an afternoon's worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    My first full episode: I watched it. I didn't understand many of the references/inside jokes for some reason. I found the just-before-the-commercial-breaks quite sad most of the time. So my opinion doesn't count for much.
    Yeah, they went for the emotional jerk-around and it sucked. To be honest, some of the inside jokes were very forgettable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    The song Free Bird kind of comes to mind for me when it comes to Barney. As for Robin, the way it was told it sounds like she intentionally chose to excommunicate herself. It wasn't because she was busy or the gang were too busy and/or didn't want to keep in touch. She was intentionally avoiding them and her emotional baggage.
    Not seeing your point on Barney, how he's really never going to grow? He's just destined to be a miserable, shallow letch the rest of his life with interludes of Robin and his baby where he'll temporarily become a better man?

    Robin did explain how it hurt, but over time that should have softened, especially with Barney falling out of touch with the gang a little. Of course, the kids are familiar enough with "Aunt Robin" that they have been around her on numerous occasion, yet Ted somehow mourned the loss of her presence - it was thin. If she holds a grudge for decades, she is an unhealthy wreck anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    I'm not going to run out and buy the complete series but I would be interested to see the alternate ending.

    https://tv.yahoo.com/news/met-mother...223602694.html

    I might have to check out the fan-edited ending, too.
    I was hoping the alternate ending would be something they shot with the kids so they had multiple avenues and the actors wouldn't give anything away, but it sounds like they just tweaked it in the edit.

    The fan edit is very solid, I was surprised at how a little tweak could really make the same content work. Unfortunately, 20th Century Fox has taken it down from YouTube and Vimeo, so it's going to be difficult to find, but it's around 6 to 8 minutes, and it starts with Ted at the bar instead of in Chicago scene, has Lily telling Marshall she thinks this time is different for Ted and immediately cuts to shortened scenes from Ted and Tracy's future such as the halloween party with them together so it suggests Ted has found the one and I think removes the Robin suffering from that scene, and uses Future Ted's narration without the getting sick (it's still got a little finality in it because of the way it was written, but is left more vague) and then cuts back to Ted and Tracy meeting on the platform, then "and that's how I met your mother" along with the end title card and credits. It's much, much more hopeful and open-ended, and leaves out the Robin bit entirely, leaves out the Barney backslide, and just focuses on what's important. IMO, that edit also makes Ted feel like he's finally grown into a man at the end.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The fan edit is very solid, I was surprised at how a little tweak could really make the same content work. Unfortunately, 20th Century Fox has taken it down from YouTube and Vimeo, so it's going to be difficult to find, but it's around 6 to 8 minutes, and it starts with Ted at the bar instead of in Chicago scene, has Lily telling Marshall she thinks this time is different for Ted and immediately cuts to shortened scenes from Ted and Tracy's future such as the halloween party with them together so it suggests Ted has found the one and I think removes the Robin suffering from that scene, and uses Future Ted's narration without the getting sick (it's still got a little finality in it because of the way it was written, but is left more vague) and then cuts back to Ted and Tracy meeting on the platform, then "and that's how I met your mother" along with the end title card and credits. It's much, much more hopeful and open-ended, and leaves out the Robin bit entirely, leaves out the Barney backslide, and just focuses on what's important. IMO, that edit also makes Ted feel like he's finally grown into a man at the end.
    Thanks for the synopsis, JediTricks. I found that link before I ran my Saturday errands and posted it. By the time I got back, it was yanked.

    Whoever the fan is, sounds like he did a good job editing and giving us the happy ending we expected.

  3. #223
    It's not necessarily a "happy ending we expected", Ted still hints at Tracy's passing because that's what they had to work with, but it's vague enough that audiences can draw their own conclusions instead of being jerked around. "Here's a character we built up for a whole year, not to mention how much Ted has talked about her place in his life, and she's sick and dies in half a beat so Ted can hook back up with Robin, byeeeee."
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #224
    I've never watched this show, but had to check out this thread because the finale seems to rank right up there with Lost and Seinfeld as far as reviled finales go. Looks like you guys don't disappoint, and you hate it as much as everyone else.

    (Seinfeld's ending was perfect, by the way. To hell with anyone who disagreed. I only wish there'd been some synergy a couple of years ago and the fake Seinfeld reunion from Curb Your Enthusiasm had actually aired at the same time as the Curb season finale.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    (Seinfeld's ending was perfect, by the way. To hell with anyone who disagreed. I only wish there'd been some synergy a couple of years ago and the fake Seinfeld reunion from Curb Your Enthusiasm had actually aired at the same time as the Curb season finale.)
    I agree, I never understood why people hated it so much. It might not have been the best episode of the series, but it was hardly the worst finale ever.

    I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that they ended the finale with the same joke that they opened the first episode with and I thought that was genius. It was basically like telling the audience, "okay, we're just going to start repeating ourselves from this point forward so move along, nothing to see here."

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I've never watched this show, but had to check out this thread because the finale seems to rank right up there with Lost and Seinfeld as far as reviled finales go. Looks like you guys don't disappoint, and you hate it as much as everyone else.
    I've not seen the Lost finale, but from the reaction I've heard, I'd say HIMYM's finale is in between.
    (Seinfeld's ending was perfect, by the way. To hell with anyone who disagreed. I only wish there'd been some synergy a couple of years ago and the fake Seinfeld reunion from Curb Your Enthusiasm had actually aired at the same time as the Curb season finale.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I agree, I never understood why people hated it so much. It might not have been the best episode of the series, but it was hardly the worst finale ever.
    It wasn't a very good episode IMO, the whole trial felt out of place and not terribly interesting, just repeated commentary. The other thing was that the whole setup for them getting sent to prison FELT like a setup for a joke, not like an organic part of their messed up lives. So yeah, they don't grow or change, even in prison, but the way they showed that strained the show's level of credulity.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #227
    I really liked the meta message of the Seinfeld finale: no matter how we laugh at them week in and week out, there's no way we'd let them remain in society pulling the crap they did. The execution could've been better, but the idea was perfect.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    I might have to check out the fan-edited ending, too.
    Its nothing special. Just imagine the official ending, but with all the dialog/scenes of the mother's death and Ted/Robin getting back together in 2030 being completely cut/omitted.

    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Not seeing your point on Barney, how he's really never going to grow? He's just destined to be a miserable, shallow letch the rest of his life with interludes of Robin and his baby where he'll temporarily become a better man?
    Was Barney changing because of Barney or was Barney changing because of Robin? If you don’t want to change deep down then you likely won't. If there is no inner drive to do it then you will lose motivation to do so. Without someone there to motivate him to change he reverted back to being classic Barney.

    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Robin did explain how it hurt, but over time that should have softened, especially with Barney falling out of touch with the gang a little. Of course, the kids are familiar enough with "Aunt Robin" that they have been around her on numerous occasion, yet Ted somehow mourned the loss of her presence - it was thin. If she holds a grudge for decades, she is an unhealthy wreck anyway.
    It may have softened, it may have not. Everybody is different. Of course softened or not, if you go picking at the metaphorical scab by being around constant reminders of your wound its going to hurt more. You know that saying: "Out of sight, out of mind". To me it sounded like Robin did eventually start coming around more often eventually (probably about the scene where Ted's daughter referred to her as the bus lady), but even then it was only in the sense you'd expect distant relatives to show up on holidays and so forth. Ted was more in mourning the loss of her having an everyday presence in his life as she had had during the nine seasons of the show. Its a pacing problem with cramming 15 years worth of time within a single episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I've not seen the Lost finale, but from the reaction I've heard, I'd say HIMYM's finale is in between.
    LOST was so polarizing with fans because it promised a big payoff with answering six seasons worth of mysteries with reasonable/scientific explanations and instead the ending we got was "The Chris Carter Effect" meets "religious/supernatural good vs. evil" meets "everyone is dead and in purgatory" after the show-runners firmly denied that that was what was going on for three seasons.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    What part was staring us in the face, the death or going back to Robin? If it's the former, I called that last year. If it's the latter, I cannot see where that groundwork was laid at all, in fact I'd say the last 5 years pretty much wrote that off.
    Actually, both were heavily hinted on all season. Both Ted and Robin revealed they still had feelings for one another (Ted's never got over her in the first place) a decent number of the interactions between Ted and Tracy during the season had grim undertones.

    One thing that's been bothering me is a throw-away line in the "how I met your mother" portion of the finale. Ted's first couple of lines mentioned that he knew that she was his ex Girlfriends roommate. How could he possibly know that if he's never seen her before (he only saw her ankle). I understand how she could recognize him, but not the other way around. It was like the writers forgot that only we knew that situation.

    I'm just glad they didn't focus on the funeral in the last episode. That would have been hard to watch.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO