Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The DaVinci Code

Great film! I just saw it. A tad predictable (the ending's not really a spoiler but I won't post it here this early anyway) - but if you haven't already read the book, you'll figure this thing out before it's even half-way through.

Meanwhile, the girl in the film is hot! (had to add that I love the French and their fries).

I'm not sure what all the controversy would be except that people take their religion way too seriously.

Overall, the movie leaves you wondering about questions concerning Jesus Christ's divinity - not flat out denying it. Also, it refers to Mary Magdalene as from royal lineage, not a prostitute as the Catholic Church might uphold. And it gives reasons for why the cover-up. Misogynism is the key. Believing Catholics or those who'd enjoy a good movie with an open-mind would like this movie. Those totally devoted to the church and caught up in the Papal hierarchy might find it offensive - but their point of view is portrayed (by a psycho-killer who self-flogs himself and wears pain garters but who allows his victims to pray before he kills them. He reminds me of Malcolm McDowell for some reason.

A point of discussion about the film that is not really a spoiler was whether Mary Magdalene was already pregnant with Jesus' child when he was crucified.

Anyway, at the end, just when you expect another shoot-out and chase sequence, things peacefully resolve themselves.

I'm hoping to see this movie. I read the book and thought it was okay, nothing to make such a fuss about but something to do during downtime at work. Of course, I've always been fascinated by the Gnostics, the apocrypha, and Mary Magdalene's place in the Bible, so it's pretty much going to appeal to me on some level.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

I actually haven't heard many good things about this movie. Most all of the reviews I have read have been pretty bad. I have not seen the movie nor read the book but I will go in watching the film being very pessimistic. I know Rotten Tomatoes has bashed the heck out of it so far. Of course I will form my own opinion when I see it on dvd.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Someone owes me 2 1/2 hours of my life.
    This was easily one of the most boring movies I have ever seen.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Boring?

There was a psychotic killer, a cult following, car chases, gun shooting, and a sexy girl - if not for Tom Hanks beginning to be an old fart, it made it out to be like James Bond with a point to it all.

I was pleasantly surprised that it had some action (I did not read the book).

I was expecting more of an expose drama (which would not have disappointed me either), but this was a refreshing change. The Passion of the Christ didn't even have horse chases. (But Mel Gibson looks to have been consulted for the self-flogging scenes that were done in a way very reminiscient of masturbation actually).

I'm happy they got Jean Reno to play Fache. The entire time I was reading that book I pictured Reno when I pictured that character in my head.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

He was good and portrayed his character's obsession pretty well.

People afflicted with Albinism arn't all that happy with the film either.
    Also, while not planning a protest or boycott, members of the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation expressed unhappiness with the film's heavy, a monk-assassin, being an albino, as described in the book.

Michael McGowan, an albino who heads the organization, said "The Da Vinci Code" will be the 68th movie since 1960 to feature an evil albino.

The "Da Vinci" character "is just the latest in a long string," McGowan said. "The problem is there has been no balance. There are no realistic, sympathetic or heroic characters with albinism that you can find in movies or popular culture."

He said the group aims to use the movie's popularity to raise awareness about the realities of albinism. People with albinism have little or no pigmentation in their skin, eyes and hair.

I know Halle Berry is African-American, but isn't "Storm" in X-men kind of Albino? Well, she has the white hair. So I'd say that counts for something, though of course she's not a True-Albino.

I'd say it also has to do with:

1) Albinos are more rare
    2) They must go into acting, and have proven talent, to get roles
    3) Roles between good and evil characters come up naturally - it's luck of the draw
    4)Established actors like James Marstens (Spike on Buffy) might be made to look sort of Albino (I know he was an evil character) but though he's not a True-Albino, he has the talent (I know from Smallville), and it helps if someone who can pull the role required of them is cast in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Boring?
    Extremely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    There was a psychotic killer, a cult following, car chases, gun shooting, and a sexy girl - if not for Tom Hanks beginning to be an old fart, it made it out to be like James Bond with a point to it all.
    And I've seen better of each in bad made for tv movies.

Tom Hanks was especially bad. His performance was really disappointing, especially when compared to stuff like Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, and Apollo 13. Sadly, his mullet was the best part.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!